is my gi bill still available??
Create Post

is my gi bill still available??

Thnx for looking ladies and gents... i contributed to gi bill in 1995.. got out November 2002. Never used my school benefits. I read somewhere my benefits could be used up to 15 yrs after active duty. Can anyone shed some light on this. My profession is taking a big hit and may need to get some more training. I have category 3 (10% disability benefits).. thanks alot and have a great wkend .!!!

Similar Threads:

Here is a link to the VA GI Bill page.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/

sorry, 10 years to "use it or lose it"...

GI bill cannot be passed to child? Never could see why those things have a shelf life. Seems kind of unfair. Should be able to save those kind of things for life. Got a co-worker that is using his something, not sure if its another kind of bill or maybe using his HAZLEWOOD ACT fund for his kid's college.

if you had service after 2007, under the NEW GI Bill, you can pass on your benefits to your child or spouse IF you agreed, while on ACTIVE DUTY, to serve an additional 4 years active duty... all service prior to that, is use it or lose it in 10 years, and cannot be passed on....

Just to spell it out post 9/11/2001, the GI Bill expires 15 years after the service member's ETS date. The Montgomery GI Bill expires 10 years after the servicemembers ETS date. There are always exceptions. If a health problem or disability kept the servicemember from being able to attend school in some way, it is worth calling the VA and asking about what can be done https://heroanswers.org/183/i-never-...till-available

Quote Originally Posted by 29palms View Post
    GI bill cannot be passed to child? Never could see why those things have a shelf life. Seems kind of unfair. Should be able to save those kind of things for life. Got a co-worker that is using his something, not sure if its another kind of bill or maybe using his HAZLEWOOD ACT fund for his kid's college.
    It can be passed to a child but usually you have to get that put in writing and have to re-enlist to do so.

Thread Information