~ In Memory Of USMC SSgt Jonathan Lewis ~
Create Post

~ In Memory Of USMC SSgt Jonathan Lewis ~

11215843_10156673808730377_4315828202342563529_n.jpg

Staff Sergeant Jonathan Lewis, 31, of Warrenton, Virginia, died 2 September, 2015 of injuries resulting from a 'hard landing' when the CH-53E Super Stallion helicopter belonging to HMH-464, MAG-29, 2nd MAW, landed 'harder and faster than normal'. The U.S. Marine was part of a Virginia-based anti-terror and security team training on the use of ropes to access difficult terrain, aboard Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. Lewis was assigned to Fleet Anti-terrorism Security Team (FAST) Company B, Marine Corps Security Force Regiment of Yorktown, Virginia.

Two Marines remained hospitalized in stable condition Friday, while nine have been treated and released.

Lewis, a 2002 graduate of Fauquier High School in Warrenton, joined the Marines in 2006 and has earned

the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement medal
    two Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation medals
    three Marine Corps Good Conduct medals
    National Defense Service medal
    Iraq Campaign medal
    Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary medal
    Global War on Terrorism Service medal
    Humanitarian Service medal
    three Sea Service ribbons

Similar Threads:

RIP, Son,, on to the streets paved with Gold

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Rest In Peace.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    RIP Devil

I would like to hear more about what exactly happened?...I have a hard time imagining Marines being injured/killed from a "harder and faster than normal" landing

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    RIP Devil

I would like to hear more about what exactly happened?...I have a hard time imagining Marines being injured/killed from a "harder and faster than normal" landing
    Imagine the bird dropping the last 30 ft. Thats a hard landing.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by devilbones2 View Post
    Imagine the bird dropping the last 30 ft. Thats a hard landing.
    I know what a hard landing is, I actually imagined it being from higher up than that....

I am curious to know what the SSgt and the other Marines were doing in the bird that killed/injured them....were they secured still?...were they standing unsecured preparing to get off??...I am certain they were wearing PPE(flak jackets, kevlars, gloves, etc..) but what were the injuries and how was the SSgt killed exactly

Probably depends a lot on where each Marine was situated. Sounds like the Marine fatality was as a result of being in a different situation than the others, probably something like beaming up against something that doesn't give, no cushion or padding, maybe slammed his head hard on impact from his position before the impact, maybe the area of where the chopper made contact had something to do with it. Maybe he was closer to the impact area, or awkwardly further AWAY from the impact area, but who knows. True, I wonder what the injuries were to determine a better view of how he was situated on the airplane.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    ?

Thread Information