Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Keep us posted, OP. Good luck to you.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Yep, let us know how it goes, please.

Bootcamp isnt the issue here, being a 28/29 year old LCpl treated as a Junior Marine and under the charge of 21-23 year old NCOs is the real challenge. In bootcamp, everyone is treated the same, the issue I've seen with some older guys is them remaining humble and understanding that their age has no bearing on how the chain of command works. I especially liked hearing things like "I'm 28 years old and here I am raking sand." Or I'm 28 years old and here I am police calling a parking lot." Hey, it might suck, but said person signed the contract, and at the moment, that 22 year old Sergeant or Cpl is above them in rank and they must do what they're told.

The challenge for you (as it is for most people, especially older guys), is maintaining that post bootcamp motivation 2+ years into your contract. Bootcamp is easy; sure you'll PT alot, constantly be on your feet, constantly scream, but its all laid out for you. The challenge is staying squared away once you're no longer under the prying eyes of your drill instructors. Stay in shape, respect the rank of those above you, stay humble, Do your PME, and stay out of trouble. Once you get some leadership opportunities, dispense some of that grandfatherly knowledge on the younger Marines.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good advice as usual---this is exactly why I was AT Parris Island 2 weeks after I turned 17. The younger, the better. Mentally and physically. I was 21 when I got out after 4 years in the Corps.

Tank you all very much for the responses! You've been very helpful. I k ow that regardless of my age of physical conditioning, this is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done. I will also add that I am humble. Very humble. If I'm told to do something by someone who is in authority over me, regardless of their age I'm going to do it and I'm going to do t to the best of my ability.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    You have the right attitude, which is 90% of everything, so good luck to you and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by joseywales View Post
    Palms needs his own website to put down exploits. There ain't one thing he hasn't done in the world.
    I do have a website where you can check out a fraction of my exploits. Thanks for asking. Here it is.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/m/66e8c/

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he used to be a talk show host at one time.
    "Comm. You can talk about us but you can't talk without us."

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    ??

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    Best to return the thread to its rightful owner--29 palms is a good guy.
    Are we basing this on context or amount of times I've been kicked out of here?

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    Non sequitur?

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    strrannnnngggeeee. Looks like he was sticking up for you!

Originally Posted by USMC2571 Best to return the thread to its rightful owner--29 palms is a good guy.

29 Palms: Are we basing this on context or amount of times I've been kicked out of here?

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by joseywales View Post
    strrannnnngggeeee. Looks like he was sticking up for you!

Originally Posted by USMC2571 Best to return the thread to its rightful owner--29 palms is a good guy.

29 Palms: Are we basing this on context or amount of times I've been kicked out of here?

I know he was sticking up for me. Point being, if I was kicked out of here several times, I must not be a good guy eh? Get it? As in a little humour? No? Never mind.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    ?

Thread Information