27 year old poolee looking for advice
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

27 year old poolee looking for advice

First off... I would like to thank the Marines who are reading this post for your honor, courage, and commitment to our nation. My God bless you!

I am 26 years old and I will be shipping out to bootcamp at Paris Island on October 18th, on this day I will be 27. I understand that I will be much older than my fellow receuits. I'm sure my being older has its pros and cons. Typically 27 year olds don't have as much energy and stamina as an 18 year old, however at the same time I'm more mature and focused on training and discipline. I'm finding this to be partly true. I am finding that I am much more mature than the poolees in my DEP, however I am also finding that I am in much better shape. 26 pull-ups, over 100 crunches in 2 minutes, and a 20 minute 3 mile (which isn't perfect but not too bad). Given my maturity and physical fitness, what challanges am I looking at going into bootcamp and what may be slightly easier for me due to my age? Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

no matter what anyone tells you, you won't be prepared,, the shock is not what anyone expects,

what challanges am I looking at going into bootcamp and what may be slightly easier for me due to my age?
    the challenges will be the same for you as any other recruit,, your age may help you adjust a little better but you won't notice it.. it will all seem like your in a night mare at first, but you will adjust, Military life in the Corps is very, very much different then what anyone expects.. I came from a family of Marines, My Dad and Uncles, and My Brothers, but even what they told me still did not help as to what i was to expect,,, a whole different animal..lol

just do what is asked of you as fast as you can, and pay attention..

best of luck to you, and keep us posted..

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    That sums it up, Pat.

no one can ever explain what it will be like,, it is the most shocking experience in the world, and one I would do all over again if I could..

God how I love the Corps..

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Pat, I think I would do it all over again too, maybe skipping Parris Island, though.

I always thought it would be nice for the Marine Corps to offer a boot camp refresher course for Veterans who were no longer in the Corps. I'd sign up tomorrow. It wouldn't be bad if every member of congress and the President was required to participate in a Marine Boot Camp; I'd guarantee that once the D I's got through with them, they wouldn't be so pompus and they would appreciate the military more.

I would do it all over again. IF I could still serve in the old Corps. The mellenials can have their open gays, tranny's (on the way), religious expressions (turbans and beards), not being allowed to fight, and all the other liberal social experiments rammed down their throats.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Bootcamp is not going to the challenge for you, it's a challenge and sucks for everyone no matter the age.

What I am scared of for you is being a 27-30 year old PFC/LCpl.....not gonna be an enjoyable experience. I would suggest being extremely squared away, get on the good side of your NCO's and Plt. Sgt, and always be a step ahead for PME....that way you get good Pro/Cons and you can get promoted quicker.

Tennessee Top, Embassy duty at MANAGUA NICARAGUA? HAITI? Holy cow. You been around. Was in Managua a couple of times, went on to Granada along the banks of Lake Nicaragua climbed MOMBACHO volcano.

I believe you when you say you wish you could do it all over again.....

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Palms needs his own website to put down exploits. There ain't one thing he hasn't done in the world.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I'm pretty sure he used to be a talk show host at one time.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Yep, I can see it

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    I hate to interrupt on someone's thread but I been lookin all over tarnation for someone who's climbed that dad blamed volcano named machismo or mombacho!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Best to return the thread to its rightful owner--29 palms is a good guy.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    josephd has good insight into things like this, see his post 8--it's being around younger people and actually, eventually after boot, taking orders from them that is the challenge. But mindset is everything, as folks have said, and if someone has the right mental attitude, i.e. give 100% every waking moment, and instantly obey orders, and be squared away, that will carry any individual through boot camp and beyond.

Thread Information