How hard is it to get a waiver now?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

How hard is it to get a waiver now?

Hello sirs,

I have scoliosis of about 14 degrees, which is within the limits listed by the Marine Corps that I found online, and I was told that I wouldn't need surgery and can do any and all physical activities. I'm assuming that I'll still need to get a waiver, though.

I am currently trying to apply for OCS and told the OSO that I have scoliosis and may need a waiver. The OSO told me he would be in touch with me soon to go over details, but he never followed through. I have tried setting up a meeting with him and the OSA repeatedly, but they either are busy or give no response.

My question is: Is it really hard to get waivers nowadays and that's why I'm getting a subtle 'we don't want you vibe' from the OSO? Or should I just keep trying to follow-up because they're busy? (The OSO and OSA are both new and only started at the office in June.)

Similar Threads:

It's not hard to get waivers....BUT, why would they want to do all of the extra things it takes to process a waiver, when there are plenty of regular/non-waiver needing people willing to sign up?

Don't take it personally. Look at it this way, if you were going to spend $30,000 on a truck, which one would you buy
    A - $30,000 price with known maintenance history, runs well, no repairs are needed
    B - $25,000 price but the truck has had this little vibration, and may need a new transmission, drive shaft or wheel bearings and your estimate for repairs is $5000

It's all about perceived reliability.

Waivers are hard to get nowadays, especially for the officer program. However, My advice is to be persistent with the OSA until they flat out tell you "No, go away." Don't be annoying or disrespectful, just be persistent with them while maintaining military courtesy. Also, don't directly contact the OSO anymore; contact his Officer Selection Assistant (usually a SSgt or Gunny) and deal with him. If they don't want you, the OSO will pass word to his enlisted man, and his enlisted man will pass word to you. Good luck, keep this thread updated.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Excellent advice, as always.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Listen to what LCPL1341 says.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all for the answers. I really appreciate it. I will keep following up with the OSA in a respectful manner until I get a clear "Go away". I will update as things happen.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    Don't let too much time go by between approaches to the Officer Selection Assistant.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    getting a waiver to get a commissioning package/attend OCS is EXTREMELY difficult. OSO's will only entertain waivers if you have the necessary scores(GPA, PFT, ACT/SAT, etc) already maxed out to make you competitive. Even then its a crap shoot

Take the hint. Not following through and never getting back with you is the OSO's way of saying "not interested".

I got a waiver for a fairly big issue. It's definitely possible if your within the limits or the condition is correctable.

Thread Information