medical discharge from boot - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jandpyoung View Post
    The only reason I even brought up her MOS is someone mentioned wether she would be able to do her MOS after the injury. (so I stated the MOS because I have no idea exactly what she would do in that MOS but knew others would) AND I mentioned how she got the MOS. Meaning she didnt volunteer for it or choose it, it was what she was given and that was only in response to a comment that females were not yet in that MOS. (which they are which is why I said she was the first) I was in no way trying to sound boastful. I actually wish she had gotten a different MOS as it will be a much harder path for her to follow and even harder being a female in a male dominated field.. Simply stating the facts and that I that I thought my daughter pushed herself too hard and why. Nothing more nothing less. If I led you to believe otherwise, I apologize, it wasnt my intention. I didnt come here to argue, simply looking for information from people who are in the Marines. I think this whole convo could have been handled better. If you had questions on if I was lying, you as a detective could surely come up with questions to prove it rather than wrongly accuse me and if I could have answered them I would have. And as for the making fun of comment. Someone else had made a snide comment about the first chosen being hurt and not finishing boot. That was not directed at you it was just the frustration of how this whole thread has gone when I was just asking for help.
    You need to understand the state of the Corps at the moment....transitioning back into peacetime, being overly politically correct, and testing whether or not to allow females into ground combat MOSs. Many of the new Marines/recruits/poolees/wannabes are trying to ride the coat tails in the Corps of the OIF/OEF generation. Many of us here take things half-hearted/half serious.

We look at things very skeptically, no disrespect is intended...it is just much of what you have described is VERY hard to believe.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Believe this Chit Happens !

Maybe I missed something in this thread, so if someone knows the answer's please advise
    me so I can stand corrected.

In 2011/12, and possibly earlier,( according to Stars and Stripes), the Corps was
    experimenting with women in combat rolls in various fields, including artillery. Yet, this
    recruit was chosen to be the first or one of the first women in artillery; and further yet she
    hadn't even completed boot camp? The recruit was already given the artillery MOS?

I know that recruits are allowed to state their preferences of an MOS, but I wasn't aware
    that the Corps was assigning them, before they completed Boot Camp.

I believe that this thread came of the tracks by a lack of understanding how the Corps
    works by both the recruit and the mother.

Bottom Line: I personally don't believe that the Corps puts it's goal of women in combat
    in the hands of an untested recruit in a field like artillery or any other combat field.

I wish the former recruit the best, and the mother was seeking answers, and the answer is
    somewhere between reality and the truth, and neither has surfaced yet.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    You need to understand the state of the Corps at the moment....transitioning back into peacetime, being overly politically correct, and testing whether or not to allow females into ground combat MOSs. Many of the new Marines/recruits/poolees/wannabes are trying to ride the coat tails in the Corps of the OIF/OEF generation. Many of us here take things half-hearted/half serious.

We look at things very skeptically, no disrespect is intended...it is just much of what you have described is VERY hard to believe.
    Thank you. I am sure I was just over sensitive and am not used to how you do things. I would love to take this conversation a different direction and dont wish to argue. Can I ask what is hard to believe? At this point I am just confused. Maybe I am not explaining myself well enough. Nothing I have said is untrue and to me none if it is anything outlandish. If it is the MOS, as I said they are now giving it to females. She didnt 'choose' it. She wants to be a Marine and understood when she signed the papers that they 'choose' where they want you. I really am trying to understand the issue. I understand some of the issues males have with female in Artillery but not what part you find hard to believe. Please explain and I will do my best to answer..

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer3 View Post
    Maybe I missed something in this thread, so if someone knows the answer's please advise
    me so I can stand corrected.

In 2011/12, and possibly earlier,( according to Stars and Stripes), the Corps was
    experimenting with women in combat rolls in various fields, including artillery. Yet, this
    recruit was chosen to be the first or one of the first women in artillery; and further yet she
    hadn't even completed boot camp? The recruit was already given the artillery MOS?

I know that recruits are allowed to state their preferences of an MOS, but I wasn't aware
    that the Corps was assigning them, before they completed Boot Camp.

I believe that this thread came of the tracks by a lack of understanding how the Corps
    works by both the recruit and the mother.

Bottom Line: I personally don't believe that the Corps puts it's goal of women in combat
    in the hands of an untested recruit in a field like artillery or any other combat field.

I wish the former recruit the best, and the mother was seeking answers, and the answer is
    somewhere between reality and the truth, and neither has surfaced yet.
    I have no idea how the USMC 'normally' does things. All I can do is explain what has happened so far. Here it is.. My daughter was in the DEP program for a year. When she first entered it she was asked to make 3 choices of the MOSs she would like to have. (but we understood she may not get any of them) After about 6 months we received a call from the recruiter telling us she had been put in Artillery. She asked if there was still a chance to get one of her choices and was told no she was 'locked in'. He then explained that she was the first female poolee to be put in Artillery and that someone somewhere had looked at her packet and chosen her. All I know is what was explained to me and our experience. I have no 'proof' although she cant be the only one so in time I guess it will prove itself. All I intended by starting this thread was to find a seasoned Marine who had possibly been medically discharged and re enlisted to help me understand the process and if it is even possible.

Thanks for your reply! I will say that I've never heard of a recruiter telling someone that they were "Locked In" to an MOS, but that's not to say it has never happened. That's water under the bridge.

What's not water under the bridge is her quest to become a Marine provided she can get her medical issues out of the way. I wish her success. Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer3 View Post
    Thanks for your reply! I will say that I've never heard of a recruiter telling someone that they were "Locked In" to an MOS, but that's not to say it has never happened. That's water under the bridge.

What's not water under the bridge is her quest to become a Marine provided she can get her medical issues out of the way. I wish her success. Keep us posted!
    Thank you for the well wishes. I found out today that I should take her to the VFW to find an advocate to make sure her medical is all properly documented thru the VA and help us take the proper steps. Then if she fully heals we can apply for waivers for her to be able to re enlist. I feel so much better knowing there is someone who can lead us thru the process because before I couldnt find any information. Thats how I ended up here. LOL Although I still wish I could find out what the 'odds' are for her re enlistment to be approved so I can keep her from getting her hopes too high if it isnt likely. I have only found 1 story of someone doing it so im not holding my breath. Most either had a previous injury they lied about and re injured in boot or a condition that wouldnt go away (allergies, genetic, etc) But if nothing else she has always been a lucky little s#@t so maybe it will happen. LOL

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yes Ma'am tell your Daughter Not 2 Sign anything w/out consultation & read the Fine print very very carefully ! GoodLuck 2 you both Go Easy Sempers

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jandpyoung View Post
    Thank you for the well wishes. I found out today that I should take her to the VFW to find an advocate to make sure her medical is all properly documented thru the VA and help us take the proper steps. Then if she fully heals we can apply for waivers for her to be able to re enlist. I feel so much better knowing there is someone who can lead us thru the process because before I couldnt find any information. Thats how I ended up here. LOL Although I still wish I could find out what the 'odds' are for her re enlistment to be approved so I can keep her from getting her hopes too high if it isnt likely. I have only found 1 story of someone doing it so im not holding my breath. Most either had a previous injury they lied about and re injured in boot or a condition that wouldnt go away (allergies, genetic, etc) But if nothing else she has always been a lucky little s#@t so maybe it will happen. LOL
    I am curious and asking a serious question, who advised you to go speak with the VFW??

VFW= Veterans of Foreign Wars

I am not saying they will not be any help but....I know of Marines who sought out help from the VFW only to be turned away because they were not an actual veteran of a foreign war.....your daughter is NOT a veteran of any sort....just saying...

nothing against you or your daughter but how do you think that looks to most of us if the VFW helps your daughter but can't/won't help a service member..??..

this whole thread/topic stinks

best of luck

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    PM me Lady Ive got a # 4 ya @ CMC you don't need all this Added aggravation Am driving up the Mnts so give me a few hrs !

Smells like grilled cheese sammiches up in here. Grilled cheese sammiches turned on end to be precise...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Stow It Mister !

Anyone can request help from a Veteran Service Organization (VSO) in regards to help with the VA. You do not necessarily have to be a member or that organization or a veteran.

Good point. True, anyone of these VSO's can help. If I were to seek help from a VSO, I would probably use the American Legion. Why? Any veteran going into the military is eligible. Thus, makes more sense. Amvets would be another good choice. I'd leave the VFW for those eligible members.....but that's just me.

Here's my question. I am aware that a recruit who is medically discharged is eligible for medical treatment at a VA, under certain conditions.

Isn't a VSO(Veteran Service Officer) only for Veterans. A VSO primarily counsels and presents the Veterans case for disability ratings, that result in compensation for the Veteran.

In this case,( the recruit) is not a Veteran; was not a member of the Marine Corps; so why would she need a VSO? I believe she would be eligible for medical treatment, and for that she wouldn't need a VSO.

I may be wrong; but I've been a member of the VA for many years only because I am a Vet, and have service connected injuries.

If I am wrong; I will stand corrected. I am aware where spouses, children; etc; are treated by the VA, but they do not have to have a VSO to be treated.

Thread Information