medical discharge from boot
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

medical discharge from boot

My daughter entered boot June 15th. At t-24 she was injured and sent to FRP. First doc said pulled muscles in her hip and shoulder and put her on crutches. Next visit she was taken off crutches and put in PT. Next doc put her back on crutches. Next doc she said made her feel as if she wasnt hurt and was just wanted outa training. This whole time I get letters stating how much pain she is in and seems to be getting worse. But she really wants back in training. Then this week she sees another doc and he says she has torn ligament/tendon in her hip and that she wont make her 180 days so they send her to FRSP and are giving her a medical discharge. (this seems to match the symptoms she was having from my research) I know how bad she wants to be a Marine. After she is healed and medically cleared, what are the odds for her to be able to go back to bootcamp and claim her title that she wants so badly? Anyone done it and can offer advice?

Similar Threads:

If she can't claim the title, I wouldn't lament too much knowing there is A VA HEALTHCARE ID CARD good for life on the horizon. Seriously speaking.

What I mean by the above, is that there are many veterans unable to get into the VA healthcare system, mostly do to income levels, (make too much money) and or just illegible due to not enough active duty time such as reserve components in the USMC. Seems that any medical related issue in boot camp or incurred in boot camp is an easy pass to the va healthcare system weather they completed boot camp or not, weather USMC tile was earned or not earned, or just happened on the first day of boot camp where individual got injured. I could never understand why this is but that's just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 29palms View Post
    What I mean by the above, is that there are many veterans unable to get into the VA healthcare system, mostly do to income levels, (make too much money) and or just illegible due to not enough active duty time such as reserve components in the USMC. Seems that any medical related issue in boot camp or incurred in boot camp is an easy pass to the va healthcare system weather they completed boot camp or not, weather USMC tile was earned or not earned, or just happened on the first day of boot camp where individual got injured. I could never understand why this is but that's just the way it is.
    Im sorry but I am not understanding what you mean. Are you saying she gets some kinda benefits even though she didnt get to finish boot? All I expect is for medical to fix the issue that happened in boot. That is my main concern along with if she can return and finish what she started.

If anyone is injured in boot camp regardless of not finishing boot camp, and they get separated medically from the military, they are most likely given a medical discharge which is considered under honorable conditions, meaning your daughter can and should be eligible for VA healthcare, especially if given a disability rating. I don't know the extent of her damages therefore, no idea what kind of disability she would get. I don't think they would keep her around while she heals, her injuries may take a while to heal. Some injuries as you describe could take months to heal properly, and in boot camp, you have to be fit to complete it.
    I don't think she would have any problem returning to boot camp after her injuries healed up if she wanted to return into the military. If any veteran has documented injuries incurred while in active duty, INCLUDING BOOT CAMP which is active duty, and separated because of it, they rate benefits. I suggest you look into this some more, like checking out VA benefits web sites. I don't know what kind of control she would have in gaining a disability rating, that is determined by their doctors. Either way, a medical separation is not really her fault, this happens often in boot camp. She didn't quit, she wanted or wants to continue and be a Marine. Sometimes its beyond our control, but YES, she should rate benefits, and that means use of the VA especially when she has documented injuries on her service record.
    My beef is guys that go through their tours of duty without a scratch and have no injuries, wounds, get out with honorable discharges, and cannot use the VA system due to criteria and eligibility requirements. VA is there mainly for those with documented service connected injuries or wounds. Or veterans meeting active duty time that are destitute and make little money. Some have to make co-payments if they make over the limit.
    There are people here that know way more about it than I do, but I know enough about it. Sounds like your daughter is service connected, therefore, eligible for VA medical services.

Minimum Duty Requirements

Most Veterans who enlisted after September 7, 1980, or entered active duty after October 16, 1981, must have served 24 continuous months or the full period for which they were called to active duty in order to be eligible. This minimum duty requirement may not apply to Veterans who were discharged for a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, for a hardship or “early out,” or those who served prior to September 7, 1980. Since there are a number of other exceptions to the minimum duty requirements, VA encourages all Veterans to apply so that we may determine their enrollment eligibility.

Lastly, good luck with all of this, I wouldn't sweat it too much. She can always go back and finish this if she wants. A medical is not disgraceful, maybe a little unfinished business. Sometimes it just goes down that way. Relax.

Thank you for the help. I have not had any luck researching on what our next step would be to get her healed and also so she can return. We do have wonderful recruiters who say they will fight to get her back in.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Medical questions are best answered by those that are trained in the MEDICAL Fields, Period...

Less chance of Sea-Lawyer info getting out...

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    my $0.02....if this is a serious hip injury(torn ligament is), I would seriously advise you and her to re-think still wanting to become a Marine....torn up hips, knees, and shoulders are not injuries that one can fully recover from. Sure she could heal up and/or have surgery to fix whatever the issue may be but I can pretty much guarantee that if she did make it back in that it would become an issue again down the road. The Corps can wreak havoc on ones body..I know countless Marines that are in their mid to late twenties and have more health issues than most senior citizens...seriously.....bad backs, wrecked knees, hips, shoulders, pinched nerves, etc, etc...

if She wants to be a Marine badly enough, She can try to fight the discharge, if the level of injury is able to be fully healed, at least that is what a Friend of My Daughters did when they want to medically send her packing from Boot.

again just my 2 cents worth as well..

best of Luck to you and Her

just a side note, My Daughter and Her friend are now both Sgt.s in the Corps, My Daughter is in Japan, and Her friend is in California..

Gotta ask. Just what kind of MOS does this Jandpyoung's daughter will she be doing in the USMC? Boot camp is definitely tough. If she's in as a clerk or some admin kinda thing, PT three times a week shouldn't really mess her up too much. If she joins the PARAMARINES and jumps off of airplanes screaming GERONIMO, 100 times a year, yes, it may ruin her knees and more if the chute don't open.

I got a physical job and I'm in my 50's. I see guys all around me with all kinds of issues, from back, to knees to just plain old wear and tear from age. Some guys are also physically a bit of a mess, don't take care of themselves, let themselves get fat and old don't work out, some kicked the can, one last year right in the can by the way. The leads give out the work loads, and sit on their butts, they think they got it made, but I'd rather be doing what I'm doing because I've seen them get real out of shape and fat one couldn't move and dropped dead of heart attack. I'm better off moving around in my age and I work out three times a week with my own gym in my house, plus have gym membership too. It helps to keep from getting injured. In return, I can stand on my feet much longer, no knee issues, blood pressure normal, and breathe much better.
    So it depends on her MOS what kind of work she'd be doing. If she's going in the grunts, paramarines.....(I know they don't exist since WWII so don't tag me as a poser) then I'd say......maybe time to do the Air Force.

Quote Originally Posted by 29palms View Post
    Gotta ask. Just what kind of MOS does this Jandpyoung's daughter will she be doing in the USMC? Boot camp is definitely tough. If she's in as a clerk or some admin kinda thing, PT three times a week shouldn't really mess her up too much. If she joins the PARAMARINES and jumps off of airplanes screaming GERONIMO, 100 times a year, yes, it may ruin her knees and more if the chute don't open.

I got a physical job and I'm in my 50's. I see guys all around me with all kinds of issues, from back, to knees to just plain old wear and tear from age. Some guys are also physically a bit of a mess, don't take care of themselves, let themselves get fat and old don't work out, some kicked the can, one last year right in the can by the way. The leads give out the work loads, and sit on their butts, they think they got it made, but I'd rather be doing what I'm doing because I've seen them get real out of shape and fat one couldn't move and dropped dead of heart attack. I'm better off moving around in my age and I work out three times a week with my own gym in my house, plus have gym membership too. It helps to keep from getting injured. In return, I can stand on my feet much longer, no knee issues, blood pressure normal, and breathe much better.
    So it depends on her MOS what kind of work she'd be doing. If she's going in the grunts, paramarines.....(I know they don't exist since WWII so don't tag me as a poser) then I'd say......maybe time to do the Air Force.
    She wanted 'Air crew', I believe but was put into Artillery.

Wow, What a BLAST! Don't think it would be that physical aside PTing. Maybe messing around with heavy rounds here and there. Gotta wear good ear plugs. Didn't fire those off myself but hauled a lot of those HOWITZERS around on ship.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jandpyoung View Post
    She wanted 'Air crew', I believe but was put into Artillery.
    Artillery?!?.....as far as I was aware ground combat MOS' were not open to women yet..??...

Artillery is extremely physical....setting up a howitzer is not easy task, not to mention loading the heavy rounds

Thread Information