Advice on how to prepare
Create Post

Advice on how to prepare

Good afternoon Marines,

I'm a highschooler looking to join up. Haven't been able to have a serious talk with a recruiter yet-- been having some issues getting things sorted out with the parents since I'm 17 and the youngest kid, who happens to be a son. But, I'm fairly confident things I will go over smoothly when I head in. There's just two things.

Is there any way to prepare for all this mentally? I know this is probably the more ludicrous of my two questions but curiosity kills the cat I suppose. I think I'll be able to handle being away from family so that shouldn't be an issue.

The other is, what can I do to prepare physically? Or do I even need to? I weigh about 170 and am 5'7. The weight is based on my last time I checked.

Thanks for any advice you may give.
    Have a good day.

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    The unknown is always scary, to everyone, until it happens. But it's good to prepare for it, to a certain extent. The mental preparation you need for boot camp is simple. Be prepared to execute orders 100% right, 100% of the time---that is, to give it your best every waking moment. The DIs will assist you with this, as you can well imagine.

Physically---I'll let some other folks address that. Be on the lookout for three people especially, whose advice is always accurate and helpful. LCPL1341, Munkyvsrobot, and josephd

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    You have to get into the mindset that you are going to give it your best, that is 100% of your ability, every waking moment, to repeat----this is extremely important. I'm sure you already know this, but it helps to hear it again.\

And it's anything but a ludicrous question. It's a crucial question.

Thank you USMC2571. Fortunately I have already developed a mindset of giving my all in some capacity thanks to my extracurricular activities. Thank you for the advice.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I figured as much from your first post. No other mental preparation that I know of besides what you've already done.

Just GOOGLE "preparing for USMC bootcamp". There is a Marine Corps site that covers this but I don't know the link. It gives tips on training for the Physical Fitness Test (PFT). Also, once you join the Delayed Entry Program (DEP), you will be required to participate in mandatory poolee training functions including organized physical training with your recruiters. They will not allow you to ship to bootcamp until you're physically prepared and can pass the mandatory Initial Strength Test (IST).

Thanks Tennessee Top for the advice and information.

Prepare mentally: Best advice I can give is to learn how to follow orders unflinchingly and accept that bootcamp is like a 13 week "game" you will have to play in order to become a Marine. Be loud, move fast, know that in many situations, you will be wrong even when you're right, and you'll do fine. It's 13 weeks, then you're a Marine.

Physically: Max weight for 5'7 is 176 pounds, so you're good at 170....don't exceed 176 pounds. Much of the PT at boot camp is cardio and endurance based. Learn how to exercise with your body weight if you haven't already. A lot of push ups, pull ups and sit ups, get on a jungle gym if you can and do the monkey bars, etc. Get good at moving your body weight around. If you're not dead tired after PT, it makes the days much better all around at boot camp. Oh. and mix in some running. Mix long distance (no more than 4-5 miles) with sprints.

Your recruiters will have a poolee program that will help prepare you not only mentally, but physically as well.

Thank you LCPL1341 and Kegler300 for your replies and additions. Both very helpful!

Thread Information