My ship date got changed 3 times in two weeks...Do I have any control over it?
Create Post

Question My ship date got changed 3 times in two weeks...Do I have any control over it?

I enlisted last year, on the 11th of November. My original ship date was supposed to be the 14th of September this year, but it recently got changed to the 24th of August.

Yesterday, me and around 6 other poolees went to our last ISTs. I passed, and a few of the others didn't. Those who didn't pass were set to ship on the 17th of this month, so their dates got pushed back.

I was already kind of caught off guard when I was moved to the 24th of this month, had to change some things as far as getting my license went.

Today my recruiter sends me a message, telling me that I ship this Sunday. Everything's just closing in so fast and I still have so many things to do, people to see before I leave. There is family coming down from across the country to see me before I ship, now I don't know if they'll get here in time to see me. Is there any way I can have it set back to the 24th, or is it just set in stone? I'm not upset about shipping, I want to, but they way the dates keep changing is throwing everything off.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    No you really have no control over it at all.

do you want to be a Marine or not?!.....get used to not being able to see your family and missing events. I've missed numerous of my own birthdays, christmas, thanksgiving, and family events.

I was talking with a guy after I got orders to Okinawa. I was a newlywed, had a young daughter, and another one on the way. I was pretty upset and basically complaining to him saying that it's just not a good time for me to go overseas. He looked me squarely in the eyes and asked me this question that I now pose to you

"When would it be a good time to go?"

Good luck to you in Boot Camp, and get used to things changing because things are going to change for the rest of your life.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    1. Me first.
    2. Corps second.
    3. Why join?

When you get down to the recruit depot, complain to your drill instructor. He'll be sure to give your recruiter a call.

You don't have to ship if you don't want to. You haven't signed your final contract yet so you don't belong to the Marine Corps yet. Text your recruiter and tell them you'll let them know when you can leave town.

Once you become a Marine and join the fleet, just let your Commanding Officer know when you can deploy. They'll be happy to work you into the deployment schedule.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Oh for the decades long past, when we joined to become Marines, not to see what our country could do for us. Oh well, times change, and so do people.

I was in a similar situation when I enlisted. My recruiter set me up with a ship date which was a days prior to my finals (I was getting my college degree at the time). I went up to him and asked him if I could push it back a few days so I could get my degree, then head to bootcamp. It wasn't easy and he pulled a few strings, but he came through. I pushed my ship date from May 28th to June 10th. It's possible I guess, but don't bank on it. My advice: Just ship when he tells you, go through bootcamp, and when you graduate and go on 10 day leave, your family can come see you as a changed man and a Marine. Good luck.

Welcome to the big league...you either wanted to be a Marine or you were looking for a status deal....you will always be away from friends and family and won't find time to do things you want on leave time....but if it isn't what you want then look at options....However they don't let you earn an Eagle,Globe and Anchor....or the right to be called Marine...Good luck

heres the only thing you have control over in the marine corps ill list em.
    /start list
    1)nothing
    /end list

that is all.

Thread Information