Will my son be sent home?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will my son be sent home?

I am a nervous wreck. Four days after my son shipped to boot camp, I got a call from some sergeant saying he was being kicked out for lying. He disclosed prior pot use to his recruiter and got a waiver. The marine who called said he admited doing in 30 more times than he did before. I know he did not fail the drug test. He was committed and motivated. I talked to his recruiter and he told me the waiver should have covered him. It's been a week and no further communication. I don't know what is going on and if they would change their mind. He had not even met his DI's at this point. I talked to my son very briefly and asked him what happend and he said "I was stupid"

Being that he had a waiver went to meps and then was shipped would they really send him home after spending so much time and money on him? Anyone ever have an experience like this? They gave me no further information about where he is going like RSP or when he's coming home. Are they just messing with his head? Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Apparently, he was so traumatized by the drill instructors yelling at him, he used the Moment of Truth as an opportunity to get out of boot camp by confessing to more drug usage, true or not.

That is a possibility. However, knowing my son I doubt it. Sleep deprivation, confusion maybe. Or even trying to please the person. The sergeant said he could call but we haven't heard from him. It all seemed a little surreal. My question is do they ever change their minds? I have seen threads that say recruits at pop dirty get waivers I heard his discharge would have to be reviewed by an officer too. BTW I did not want him to join but respected his decision. He was six month in DEP.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If you got a call saying he is coming home then I am sure he is being separated and will be coming home. Probably won't be for awhile though as they have to process all the documentation to kick him out.

I am not trying to insensitive but.......sucks to be him..he made his bed, now he's got to sleep in it

P.S. he is not a little kid. He is 21 and not an emotional guy. He's a big guy, former boxer and not easily intimidated. I am hoping for his sake it was just a stupid mistake. If they do send him home, can he come back later. The sgt.mentioned something like that.

So those stories of people failing the urinalysis and still getting in are BS huh. What would be his separation code?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    His separation/RE code will be up to the convening/separation authority....more than likely it won't be good and won't allow him to get back in

And telling us "not easily intimidated" is easy for you to say...you're not the one on the yellow footprints at the depot have rabid drill instructors in your face. It is more intimidating than you can even imagine

He's wasn't easily intimidated until he met a Marine Corps drill instructor. It's not easy to be the world's finest.

Of course you could be right, but I am praying you are wrong. If this is truly what he wants, God will make a way. He went in with eyes wide open and even participated in Mini Boot Camp where they have DI yell at them for 3 days straight. His football coach once asked me if he ever got mad. He' s pretty unemotional externally. If not, better to find out now. It will save me some gray hair. Thanks.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mominmidwest View Post
    If this is truly what he wants, God will make a way
    uuuhhh..good luck with that!

No need to disrespect my faith. I believe God is in control.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mominmidwest View Post
    No need to disrespect my faith. I believe God is in control.
    I am not disrespecting your faith at all, I just fail to see how God, Allah, Buddha, Shiva, pick your diety is going to change policy on getting your son into the Marine Corps/military.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    And if you're so faithful, what happened to your son?....smoking marijuana and lying...

Really? I don't believe for a minute every marine or anyone else is without sin. I have seen countless threads where marines counsel other recruits to lie about their drug use. Does anyone besides Joseph have any experience they can share? I need some real advice not bravado and insults. Honor?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I never said anyone was without "sin"....you're the one who brought forth the "faith" topic.

I am not trying to be disrespectful by any means, I am just being honest and realistic. From what it sounds like your son sounds like he could be a great Marine and what happened is disappointing. But I am telling you the same thing most of us here tell the wannabes/poolees that come here to ask questions about waivers for drug use and legal problems....

right now the military, especially the Marine Corps, has the luxury of being selective as to who they let enlist and join their ranks. Your son had his seat, had his foot in the door, and then shot himself in that foot...there is thousands of other wannabes that would give anything to have been in his position and not blow it.

Why should he get an extra opportunity when a recruiter can get someone else that doesn't require all the leg work to get processed in??....

I am not even going to begin to explain to you(a mother whose emotions about her son clouds the facts) what the Marine Corps means to me and almost every other Marine. While what has happened is tragic but ultimately it doesn't matter to us/the Corps and is in our best interest

Thread Information