Is it possible to retake ASVAB and or change MOS when enlisted?
Create Post

Is it possible to retake ASVAB and or change MOS when enlisted?

A couple of weeks back I went to MEPS and took the ASVAB. I was in hopes of getting the combat engineer MOS (as a reserve) and the contract was already in my packet so they would know but unfortunately my MM 85 score and I believe you need a 95 MM score. They never sat me down to talk to me about what other jobs were available at the moment, I swore in enlisted but never got a ship date. The GySgt from my local recruiting office had found me a different MOS and ended up with Admin. Is retake the asvab ant hopefully get the combat eng. MOS? Ultimately i plan to go reserve,college and commision to officer and my recruiter has talked to me about the NROTC scholarship and if that happenes i won't even be going to boot camp but is there any way to change MOS in case i go to boot camp first?

Similar Threads:

It's a reserve contract, so it's much harder for a recruiter to change your contract since its for a specific MOS at a specific unit and they have billets to fill. If he gave you an admin MOS, most likely you have a ship date corresponding to when your MOS school starts (Bootcamp>MCT>MOS school). So is it possible to retake the ASVAB and get the combat engineer job? Theoretically, yes. Is it probable? No, its not. You passed the ASVAB, and filled a specific reserve billet. Your recruiter won't scrap all that work so you can retake it and get a different MOS. As far as changing MOS goes; don't bank on it even after you're in....especially in the reserves. As I said, you're locked into a specific MOS, this makes it much harder to lat move. If you're getting cold feet, you can drop from the DEP and not ship. This will **** your recruiter ALL THE WAY OFF....but it's an option. But you wont retake the ASVAB, and you wont change your MOS.

As far as being an officer goes, why are you enlisting into the reserves if you're goal is to become an officer? Do you need the tuition money?

Quote Originally Posted by LCPL1341 View Post
    As far as being an officer goes, why are you enlisting into the reserves if you're goal is to become an officer? Do you need the tuition money?
    Possibly, the main reason would be the NROTC scholarship, even though my ASVAB was too low for it I can still apply and use SAT scores. If i were to get the scholarship i wouldn't even ship and go to boot and go to college instead which is what my recruiter has told me. Do you know specific requirements to get the scholarship.

Cant you just retake the ASVAB before you ship and get the MOS you want locked in? I wouldnt sign up for admin if I wanted to be a CE, you will have a bad time and hate life. This is going to be the life you are locked into for the next six years.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    In the reserves it won't matter what your MOS is...especially if your going to commission anyway.

My $0.02....don't bother enlisting in the reserves at all, being a reserve Marine give you no leg up on commissioning(NROTC, PLC, or OCC). Just go to school, stay out of trouble, and stay in shape. Enlisting in the reserves is only gonna hold you back about a year and then hinder you from keeping up in school with drill weekends and what not

Also. Retaking the ASVAB can be a gamble. There is no guarantee your line scores are going to go up. Some people actually come out with lower scores than before (one reason recruiters are reluctant to allow anyone to retest). So, be careful what you ask for.

Thread Information