A Marine in Da Nang 1965
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Marine in Da Nang 1965

Dear Leatherneck Community:

I was hoping you could help me with identifying the Marine photographed here: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/pic...ury_img84.html

Per the information given by the NARA the photo was taken at a "Marine landing" on August 3, 1965. From the Marine records I have seen there was no such landing on that day so there is some reason to believe the information given by the National Archives in the link above is incorrect, but the year and location are likely still accurate.

If you served in Da Nang, RVN in 1965 I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me if you recognize the Marine in the photograph or the utilities he wears. He MAY have served in 1/9 (1st Battalion 9th Marines) but I am not sure. Notice the web belt, the 45 holster he carries, the pack board on his back, the writing on his helmet, the sand on his utilities and most importantly his name tag which reads "R.C. Co..." Finally, the NARA calls him a "Private" but again this info could be wrong.

Thank You Marines for your service, your help, and your valor! I hope you are able to help identify this Marine.

Very respectfully,
    K. S.

Similar Threads:

I was at Danang during 1965 with VMFA 115. There were no Marine amphibous landings at Danang then since we were already in controle of the area.
    During mid August 1965 the Marines landed at Chu Lai Viet Nam where we established a base about 70 mi South of Danang. The units included 3rd Bn 11th Marines and 3rd Bn 12th Marines. Your young Marine was probably from one of those two units. His name appears to be Pvt R. C. Cook.
    We all looked so young then.
    SF Ernest Wimberly

Dear Mr. Wimberly:

Thank you for your reply to my post. I have done more research on the photograph and some have commented that the date given by the NARA may be incorrect; the photograph could have been taken on March 8, 1965 (3/8/65) rather than August 3 (8/3/15). Perhaps a copyist error produced this mistake. I have contacted Veterans from many, many, different battalions who served in 1965 and none have been able to recognize the Marine, but I will keep trying.

If you have any suggestions I hope you can share them with me here.

Thank You Sir
    -KS

We never made an amphibious landing at Da Nang. Chu Lai was the the only landing that we made in Vietnam. Check with the archive people in DC. I believe they will be happy to help you.
    ECW

Sorry Brother, no help on my side. I was with 1st MAW Forward DaNang, MWHG-1, MWCS1 70/71
    Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Wimberly View Post
    We never made an amphibious landing at Da Nang. Chu Lai was the the only landing that we made in Vietnam. Check with the archive people in DC. I believe they will be happy to help you.
    ECW
    BLT 3/9 landed on Red Beach 2 in Danang March 8th 1965.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by sacher View Post
    i was hoping you could help me with identifying the marine photographed here: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/pic...ury_img84.html

if you served in da nang, rvn in 1965 i would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me if you recognize the marine in the photograph
    or the utilities he wears.
    Those utilities he is wearing are NEW ISSUE
    "SATEENs"
    w/NO grenade pocket, and no cover strip, or
    blouse pocket flaps...NICE and Dark GREEN
    (Even though the Private is wet)

The sand on his utilities and most importantly
    his name tag which reads "r.c. Co..."
    Look closelyat that pic, hit the control key on it and the (+) to enlarge the pic... the third letter appears to
    be curved like a C or a G on his last name spelling

finally, the nara calls him a "private" * but again this info could be wrong.
    most likely he was a private e-1 if for nothing other
    than the age of his utilities....

Thank you marines for your service, your help, and your valor! I hope you are able to help identify this marine.

Very respectfully,
    k. S.
    why ?
    You tell me nothing for a reason i should
    give any further information.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckH View Post
    BLT 3/9 landed on Red Beach 2 in Danang March 8th 1965.
    That was almost half way between Marble Mountian
    and DaNang AirField if you'd like to go back and find
    where it is/was

In case Ernest doesn''t know where that is

think they all started calling it ChinaBeach

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Wimberly View Post
    ECW
    On 6 May 1965 units from the ARVN 2nd Division and 3rd Battalion, 9th Marines secured the Chu Lai area.
    On 7 May, the 3rd Marine Expeditionary Brigade (United States) (3rd MEB), composed of the 4th Marine Regiment, 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion, elements of Marine Aircraft Group 12 (MAG-12) and Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 10 landed at Chu Lai to establish a jet-capable airfield and base area.[3]

Thank you to everybody who has responded to my question. I appreciate your help with this and I will keep looking more into the photograph. One problem I have seen is that he is carrying a 45 which, from what I have been told, was not issued to privates. Furthermore, I've also been told that all privates were promoted to PFC before going to Vietnam. And, of course, there is the issue of the date- there was absolutely no landing of any kind on August 3rd, 1965 anywhere in Vietnam.

Thank you to all who served and helped,

KS

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    And the question to you before that you didn't answer was and is " Why do you want and need this information " ?

Hi Rocky C:

I have deep interest in the Vietnam War and tremendous respect and appreciation for its Veterans, and when I first came upon this photograph while researching I was particularly touched and also astonished that no credit was given to its subject or to its photographer. As a part of learning more about the Vietnam War and honoring its Veterans it is a goal of mine to hope to identify the Marine in it.

As stated in my original post I've also come into contact with many 1965 Veterans, whom I respect very much, about this photograph and received conflicting responses. However the most important thing for me has been learning their stories and their wisdom.

Thank you for serving,
    KS

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    OK my friend. Just wanted to know the reason why.

Thank you, you are welcome and carry on..

Best of luck to you.

Hi,

I hope you are all having a good day.

I've been told that privates were not issued pistols and therefore the subject of the photograph could not have been of this rank because he is carrying a pistol holster. Do you know at what rank/MOS Marines were issued pistols in Vietnam?

Thank you all so much for your help and for your service.

Very respectfully,
    KS

Are you sure the date of the picture was in 1965? We were told to take nametags off our utilities. Secondly; those look like camo's; camo's in 65? I never met a Private in the bush with a m1911a1.

Thread Information