I have a question regarding reenlisting in the Marine Corp.
Create Post

I have a question regarding reenlisting in the Marine Corp.

My question is regarding a past enlistment that I attempted when I was 17. I enlisted into the poolee program; meanwhile I was still in high school, anyways I took the asvab and went to MEPS but I never went to boot camp because of personal problems and issues I had at the time(I would rather discuss with a recruiter in person). My question is simply if I could ever come back to go to boot camp and finish what I started so to speak? I'm wonder if there is any way to get a waiver or anything of such that I could get or write to go back and enlist again and finish it.
    i.e I'm 24 now

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    My initial reaction is: no problem. BUT, I was in fifty years ago. josephd, munkyvsrobot, LCPL1341 and others will be along to help you with this. I would assume that someone could pick up where they left off, not having actually gone to boot camp and been told to leave, etc, but still in the PROCESS of enlisting. But, talk with these Marines, they are helpful and knowledgeable.

USMC2571 is right. People drop from the DEP all the time. You shouldn't have an issue reenlisting. The hard part might be getting a recruiter to trust you knowing you pulled out close to shipping before. They don't want to do the work and end up not shipping. However, it's not a waiver or anything like that, so there should be no issues for you really. Go talk to a recruiter, explain the situation that caused you not to ship, and you should be fine. Good luck.

Yep, I don't see a problem with enlisting again. DEP attrition is common.

only thing youll have to do is retake the asvab

My niece dropped out of her DEP (because her highschool boyfriend did not want her leaving town). She had to write a letter to her district CO, which she did. Everybody knew this was just a highschool romance and was not going to last. The CO sent her a letter back, saying she could try again at a later date. But, she would lose her intel program. Sure enough, they broke up a year after graduation - duh. She shipped to PI and is now a LCpl electrician at Camp LeJeune. So, I would say it's possible.

Thank you for your reply sir. I've asked someone who was a former Marine, not on here though telling me that if I dropped from the delayed entry program after I swore the oath and was set for boot camp that I wouldn't be able to to come back to finish what I started. I personally regret not going to boot camp and I would really love to earn the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.

Yeah....he gave you some bad gouge. You'll be fine.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfromny View Post
    Thank you for your reply sir. I've asked someone who was a former Marine, not on here though telling me that if I dropped from the delayed entry program after I swore the oath and was set for boot camp that I wouldn't be able to to come back to finish what I started. I personally regret not going to boot camp and I would really love to earn the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.
    That oath you take when you DEP in at MEPs is meaningless....it's done for your own personal motivation to give you that warm and fuzzy feeling. You aren't obligated to anything while in the DEP.

The real oath that actually means something is done the morning you actually ship out to boot camp when you sign your official contract.

Thread Information