Misleading Recruiter
Create Post

Post Misleading Recruiter

I'll try to make this as short as I can,

I was charged with "Theft Under $50" (Only Offense), received deferred disposition. Meaning, as long as I pay any court costs, fees, or fines the case will be dismissed.

My recruiter instructed me to conceal this information at MEPs. Telling me that once I have a $0 balance owed, I would just have to give him a copy of the receipt and it would be dealt with as priority since I'll have a ship date established.

Heres the deal, I have a $0 Balance and he told me not to worry about it. As in, he wants me not to bring it up at all. Which I clearly know isn't right. It's not a permanent DQ but I can foresee potential problems with this. I didn't realize I was getting misled til it was too late.

I would really like some advice on this.

My main concern is that this will get me ****ed over in some way or form down the road. I'm prepared to walk in there and tell them they can all just **** off and leave DEP if I have to. I just don't see a point in having all these college credits if something like this can potentially get me demoted down the line.

Similar Threads:

We have seen this happen before and people have been ****ed over in some way or another for not disclosing their history.

We have also seen people who regretted being truthful because now they are permanently DQ'd and can't do anything about it.

All you can do is abide by your conscience and live with your decision.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    There are two distinct and separate sides to these scenarios.

1. You disclose everything, even minor stupid things, thereby disqualifying yourself because of today's standards of near-perfection.

2. You say nothing and take your chances.

It's up to the individual----but it's gotten ridiculous.

If it will show up on a simple background check, hell depending on your clearance you should disclose everything. but if you dont hell a fraudulent enlistment should be ok for you.

You might want to pay what you owe and then come clean about it.

Your recruiter is an idiot and should be relieved for cause. I believe you can get an RS level waiver for this offense. Also consider that there is a question on your background investigation regarding police involvement. You better answer that question honestly.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    All questions should be answered honestly and forthrightly. I was justifiably complaining about today's Corps' near-perfection standards, which have grown just a little ridiculous.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    My perspective on these kinds of recruiting issues is HEAVILY influenced by having gone into the Corps before all the modern-day nonsense that permeates society as a whole. The Marine Corps reflects societal changes, but much more slowly, thank goodness.....I've noticed a gradual change so that today, it seems, if someone had some issue when they were ten years old, for an hour, it is scrutinized like it happened a day ago. So pardon my old timer mentality. At one time it was shared by thousands of Marines. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300 View Post
    Your recruiter is an idiot and should be relieved for cause. I believe you can get an RS level waiver for this offense. Also consider that there is a question on your background investigation regarding police involvement. You better answer that question honestly.
    When I filled out the Background check, I didnt have the charge and it was with a different recruiter. He didn't have me update it AT ALL. So its outdated information only he has access to. He just attached a piece of paper to it saying any inquires about me to contact him.

I told him about this the first day I went in there. I have a $0 balance and reminded him multiple times as well. I did/didnt intentionally conceal this. I was told it would be disclosed and I would be good. Not this bull**** situation im in.

I've really started to doubt whether or not I even want to go through with this since the last 3 recruiters i've had seem like pretty ****ty people. Yet I keep giving them the benefit of the doubt. It seems as if I might even get DQd because of Marine recruiters. If this guy reflects 15 years of service, what does that tell me about the rest? I might of just got put with the wrong ****ing people, consistently, but who ****in knows.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    If it will show up on a simple background check, hell depending on your clearance you should disclose everything. but if you dont hell a fraudulent enlistment should be ok for you.

You might want to pay what you owe and then come clean about it.
    This is exactly what has been in my head since he told me "not to worry about it." I have no idea what to to do, or even what I can do really. I've gotten the impression he's two faced as ****. Pretends like hes doing me solids where it doesnt really matter. I would of rather took the time to do this the right way then get the earliest ship date possible and be in this bull**** situation.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    """I've really started to doubt whether or not I even want to go through with this since the last 3 recruiters i've had seem like pretty ****ty people"""

Nah, don't continue the process. Forget about the whole thing. The Corps will come to terms with you if they really need you.

eh, I wouldn't worry to much about it. I know plenty of people who didn't tell all the truths when they went through MEPS and none of them were charged even when it popped up on a security clearance. But if you feel that dirty about lying to them then go to Meps and tell the truth and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by hardisk View Post
    eh, I wouldn't worry to much about it. I know plenty of people who didn't tell all the truths when they went through MEPS and none of them were charged even when it popped up on a security clearance. But if you feel that dirty about lying to them then go to Meps and tell the truth and see what happens.

Yeah, I was just overreacting since I don't know **** about the matter. I was reassured by some people I know as well, they had much more serious and multiple offenses and even managed to get a clearance. I'm not stressing it, I never should of been stressing it in the first place anyways.

Thread Information