Lateral transfers and lateral transfer MOS'?
Create Post

Lateral transfers and lateral transfer MOS'?

Good afternoon Marines,

My understanding is that if someone gets a Security Forces contract then they'll do that for 3 years and then join the Fleet as the original MOS for the last 2. I've also heard, though this is more rumor than grounded in fact, that as long as a guy keeps his nose clean and does his job well then it's fairly common for guys to leave Security Forces as a Corporal if not even a Sergeant sometimes; is that an exaggeration or is there some truth to that? As for lateral transfers though I'm wondering is it possible to lateral transfer straight from Security Forces into something else (i.e. EOD or HUMINT. A strange combination I know but both of them appeal to me just in different ways) rather than going to join a rifle company or something like that?

Also, does anyone have any personal experience with either EOD or HUMINT? I've read a bit about them from official websites but I want to know stuff like how difficult it is to transfer into either of them from an infantry MOS and more in depth/specifics on what kind of work I'd be able to do?

Thanks Marines

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Leave the 3 year SF stint as a Cpl?....yes....as a Sgt though?...highly unlikely...

And also understand that when you rotate back to the fleet as a Cpl into a line company that you will not be given much respect. As you will have Marines there that are junior to you in rank but senior to you time in service. you'll be treated like the boot that you are

Lateral move from SF to another MOS(skipping out on your last 2 years in fleet as an infantryman)?...again highly unlikely. That is something you'd have to talk with the Career Planner at the line unit you go to after your SF stint.

I can't speak of EOD or human intel intelligently but I will say that EOD probably isn't gonna happen. EOD takes mostly fleet/line experienced guys/NCOs....guess what?...yes you'll be an NCO but you'll have no fleet/line experience

Although lateral moves do happen in other instances, they are mostly used as reenlistment incentives to keep a tier 1 Marine from getting out. They are also used to balance MOS fields. Meaning, the infantry field would need to be overpopulated at that time, and EOD/HUMINT underpopulated. A lot of moving parts need to line up at just the right time - sort of like playing the lottery. Obviously, not something one can plan on happening.

Thanks for the reply josephd. I realize if I become an SF then I'll have zero respect from Marines who have actually deployed and been in the **** yeah, that's something else I'm considering.

Hm, so if I want to do either of those MOS I'd probably have to just go in with a regular infantry contract (unless HUMINT only takes Intel guys which would probably cross it off my list because of how much I would hate sitting in front of a computer in a windowless room for 3 years)?

I don't suppose you have any advice on which route would be the most rewarding (considering the possibility of law enforcement SF is appealing, but both EOD and HUMINT sound like stuff I'd love to get into except there's no guarantee I would)? Thanks again for replying.

Tennessee Top - Ah okay, thanks I didn't realize it was as reliant on luck. I guess when it comes time to sign a contract I just have to find people who are in the know haha. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) I won't sign until next summer into the DEP when I'll be a college junior and can go to Parris right after graduation. Thanks for your reply as well, greatly appreciated.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    despite what I referenced about the SF guys, going SF and/or infantry is something I wish I would've done....so I'd say go for it if you have the option

Just a final point about lateral moves. When eligible (not just whenever one feels like it), one can submit a lateral move request. Meaning, all those moving parts can align just perfectly - and the folks in the manpower branch at Headquarters, Marine Corps can still say "no" (which they frequently do). When it comes to reenlistments, promotions, lateral moves, MOS assignments, etc., the primary and deciding factor is always the needs of the Marine Corps. The needs of the individual are secondary (at best).

Ci is hurting for bodies at the current moment there would be a slight possibility of lat moving early. I wouldnt plan on it but there is a possibility of it happening I have heard of it happening. And also to echo off what the other two said go back to a victor unit as a boot corporal prepare to have lance corporals in charge of you. you may rate the 0311 designation but the grunts will still see you as a pog. just my .02

Thread Information