Gray Area: Aspergers and Enlisting
Create Post

Gray Area: Aspergers and Enlisting

Hello,

I've always wanted to be a Marine and nothing else my whole life. After I turned 17 I decided it was time to start the process. I have been consistently talking to my recruiter and have narrowed down the MOS's I would like (Infantry, Motor Vehicle Operator and Air Crew *provided I qualify*). Where I'm stuck is that I was diagnosed with mild (and I mean very mild) Aspergers Syndrome as a child. It's so much a non-factor that I didn't even know I was diagnosed with it until recently. I am not socially awkward, have trouble making eye contact etc. like what is typical of the disorder. When my recruiter asked me if I was ever diagnosed with a mental disorder as part of a preliminary DQ scan (that's at least what I thought it was) I was honest and told him. He didn't DQ me but told me to never say I had it again to anyone if I wanted to join and have a good career as he felt I was qualified enough to be able to serve and be competent while fulfilling my duties. My question is, should I just follow as he says and never mention it again (which later down the road could possibly get me in trouble for fraudulent enlistment if they checked my background) or should I go to the doctor and get it "un-diagnosed". Would the Marine Corps accept that? The reason I ask this on here is that he told me to never mention it again so I don't want to ask him advice about what to do.

Thanks for any input,
    *I apologize if I put this in the wrong forum section*

Similar Threads:

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    People have great trouble trusting recruiters these days. So when he told you not to mention it again, apparently he was trying to assist you in getting into the Corps. But you "mentioned it again" right here!, an area monitored and paid for by the Marine Corps Recruiting Service. Oh, well.
    and not only that, but you want us to second-guess a recruiter. Again, oh well. Good luck to you, though. I guess you'll just ignore whatever else he tells you, eh?

I'm just curious as to the best course of action when it comes to my situation. I'm probably just going to go get it un-diagnosed. Hopefully that will be acceptable. I trust him but the idea of getting it un-diagnosed just came to mind. Hopefully I haven't caused an issue now.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I don't know but...I don't think getting it "un-diagnosed" will make the issue any better. That will only solidify that you had it and it could come back under stress.

My personal $0.02....go with what the recruiter tells you

I'm just glad I never had to make this decision.

It may be possible to get this undiagnosed (I don't know). But, I do know it is not possible to have it deleted from your medical history. The question you'll have to answer at MEPS is "have you EVER been diagnosed with a mental disorder?". It is not a matter of you never bringing it up again - it will be brought up for you. You'll have to decide at that time to mark the "yes" box or the "no" box and live with it either way.

Aspergers is no longer even listed as a mental disorder or even diagnosable based on the new manual (DSM-V). So technically I never had a "mental disorder". I'm not sure if that logic will work but I wouldn't be lying by stating that I never had one as it's no longer recognized. Thoughts?

Sounds iffy to me but go with that then (but keep your fingers crossed when you check that "no" box at MEPS).

If you do find yourself being prosecuted for fraudulent enlistment later, you'll at least know why.

Update: I went to a psychologist this morning and was told that I was misdiagnosed with it and there's nothing in my behavior to suggest that I ever had it. Rather I was just a late bloomer. Nothing to worry about after all!

They put that in writing I hope.

Absolutely. I asked for them to have it all written/typed out. I have copies of that document already filed away just in case.

Lmao.... Its funny how poolees think MEPS is like the CIA with special undercover operatives raiding applicants' medical histories and uncovering secrets to DQ them. I got news for you, barring any SERIOUS medical history, MEPS is simply a check in the box to make sure you're basically qualified. If the recruiter said something as minor as this is a non factor, THEN ITS A NON FACTOR. Lets just hope you didn't shoot yourself in the foot; you may have. Keep this thread updated.

I wasn't really as concerned about being DQ'd at MEPS but rather when I originally posted I understood that what I was faced with depending on the choice I made it could come back to bite me down the road. Currently the whole issue I had is now obsolete because it was determined I never had it. I am clear of anything to DQ me now.

I just want to serve my country knowing I'm doing it the legal way. Now I can. I probably wouldn't have lied to them anyways, that's just not who I am.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    As I said before, LCPL1341 is one of those squared away guys, but he hardly ever asks to be updated on a thread. That means he sees you do in fact have potential. So do I. Good luck, and do keep us updated on this same thread, just resurrect it anytime.

Thread Information