Poolee needing MOS advice
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Poolee needing MOS advice

I enlisted on the 27th of May of this year. I have to pick my MOS in a couple months and I am having a hard time. I scored an 88 on my asvab. My passion is to work on cars, it just comes natural to me. So what should I do in the Marine Corps? If I remember correctly if I choose Motor T then I could end up being a driver. Plus I have my parents who want me to do a job that requires a high asvab score, such as intel. Any help would be appreciated. And I understand that becoming a Marine is the most important thing. Also, who do I contact to get my status changed from Marine friend to poolee?

Similar Threads:

Send a PM request to Zulu 36 (squad leader) to get your status changed.

You are correct. One cannot enlist to be a mechanic. Your contract will say MOS Field 35XX (motor transport). The Marine Corps will decide what they need you to do within the 35XX field (driver, mechanic, etc) the day before graduating from Marine Combat Training (MCT) after bootcamp. The needs of the Marine Corps always come first when it comes to MOS assignments, promotions, reenlistment, etc. The needs of the individual are secondary (at best).

As long as you are 18 or older, it doesn't matter what MOS your parents want you to do (unless you still have the apron strings attached).

Credits
    Savings
    The problem is I am 17 and my recruiter is coming to my house when the new jobs come out to sit with me and my parents to pick one out.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    MOS is a personal choice as to what you feel you'd like to do for 4-5 years...all of us here could tell you all the pros/cons, the good and the bad, for all the MOSs we have experience with...but ultimately it is your(and the Corps') decsision, not your parents, friends, ours here, your recruiters, etc...

Credits
    Savings
    What MOS's are related to mechanics?

GOOGLE "USMC 35XX MOS Field". Show some initiative. You need to do some of this work on your own.

After researching on your own, then narrow down your questions for us. We are not recruiters.

Search for "USMC Enlisted MOS's" if you want to see other MOS's outside of the Motor Transport field.

We want to see some effort on your part. You should also be asking these questions to your recruiter (that's what they went to recruiters school for).

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for your reply. I have done a lot of research on the MOS's I am interested in. I guess I should have asked which jobs would be similiar to an automotive mechanic or diesel mechanic.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    1141/1142 utilities/engineer equipment mechanic

Since you like mechanical stuff and working on engines. Look into aviation mechanics too (jet/helo engine repair). MOS's 6156, 6218, 6258, and 6288. You should have the ASVAB score required. They make a lot of money in the civilian world so your parents should be happy with that. The Marine Corps is paying bonuses of $12K - $15K to keep tilt-rotor (MV-22 Osprey) mechanics on active duty MOS 6116 (also paying bonuses for those other MOS's).

Things like this is what your recruiter should be telling you.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Are recruiters knowledgeable about stuff like this? No one seems to be willing to approach them. Maybe they don't know much about the Corps?

1341, My MOS. I'm a Heavy Equipment Mechanic. Ask me specific questions, I'll answer them. It's a very hands on MOS and you'll get your hands dirty.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCPL1341 View Post
    1341, My MOS. I'm a Heavy Equipment Mechanic. Ask me specific questions, I'll answer them. It's a very hands on MOS and you'll get your hands dirty.
    this!

Thread Information