Anyone Forget Their Platoon Number?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Anyone Forget Their Platoon Number?

I ran across a post on a forum where someone claiming to be a former Marine stated he couldn't remember his MCRD platoon number. He gave a lame excuse about having a lot going on at time. He also stated he received his MOS training at El Toro. I was stationed at El Toro and I don't remember any schools there. I'm thinking poser. Has anyone else forgotten their platoon number? I know I haven't, and it's been over 42 years since I graduated.

Similar Threads:

Yes. Not me but my best friend when I was in the Corps. A few years ago I was up at his house and said something about his platoon number and he had to go dig out his platoon book because he couldn't remember what it was.

Had a fella I was stationed with at Cherry Point who was the same MOS as me and I hung out with most of the time. In fact, we went to Viet Nam together. When I started looking for Marines I went through boot camp with and had been stationed with, it took some doing but I finally found him. He didn't remember me. At all.

So don't count on some old Marine's memory to verify his service.

You can always check the name stamped on your skivies.

That number's burned into my memory like my social security number ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300 View Post
    That number's burned into my memory like my social security number ...
    I hear ya. Same-same me and when I run into someone who doesn't have it or their Drill Instructors burned into their memory, I don't understand it but I've come to accept that it does occasionally happen.

54 years and still know mine!

57 years for me........Plt 260......July 58 MCRDSD

Platoon 202, 1ST RTBN, MCRD, SD 62 Years.

Sgt. Montgomery
    Cpl. Morrison
    Pfc. Pallot

Quote Originally Posted by ErikHeiker View Post
    I ran across a post on a forum where someone claiming to be a former Marine stated he couldn't remember his MCRD platoon number. He gave a lame excuse about having a lot going on at time. He also stated he received his MOS training at El Toro. I was stationed at El Toro and I don't remember any schools there. I'm thinking poser. Has anyone else forgotten their platoon number? I know I haven't, and it's been over 42 years since I graduated.

Yes and please respect them. There are some who I know had accidents and have brain injuries and can't remember hardly there last name but they remember segments from boot camp and other Corps related happenings..
    Some even have early onset of Alzheimer..
    Have a nice day..

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    You can always check the name stamped on your skivies.
    Name stamp or Skid mark ???

I've yet to run into anyone who can't remember, but I'm sure it's possible. I don't remember my graduation date exactly. I know it was in September, but the actual date? Yeah you got me.

I wouldn't scream poser until something more blatant shows itself. I always like to start griping about how I hated that the officers got to eat first at chow time. Any Marine knows that leadership eats last to ensure that troops are taken care of. That's just one little "test" I like to throw out to fact check a fishy story.

I hate posers with a passion, and love calling them out.

55 years and still remember platoon number but couldn't tell you my DI's names but I for some reason can remember what they looked like and can still remember the fun they had being sarcastic but most of us sucked it up and it made us try harder because we would not give in to them because we wanted to be Marines and we could take whatever they dished out and dish it out they did.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ya know I actually miss Boot camp & the Special attention I was given no ChitSki my next Rottweiler I'm gonna name it SPECIAL...instead of Disneyland I'm gonna take my grand kids 2 PI & that ain't no chit either S/F

I went to PI May 19 1954 to August 6 1954, I forgot my plt # and did not have a plt book, I knew the dates and and my DI s but that was it until a couple Marines on this website found my plt book and number. always knew my serial number.plt 263.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. BTW...Plt 1017. Arrived MCRD San Diego on February 2, 1973 and graduated May 9, 1973. PC was SSgt Jarrett and DIs were Sgt Chapman and Cpl Flores. Sgt Chapman replaced another Sgt whose name escapes me. That Sgt committed a cardinal offense by damaging government property. He slapped a recruit open-handed on the ear, rupturing his ear drum. The last time I saw him was when we were loading up for Camp Pendleton. He was wearing Corporal stripes.

Thread Information