Prior Army trying to join Marines.
Create Post

Prior Army trying to join Marines.

A little about myself, I am a 6 year prior service Army enlisted soldier. I tried to join the Marines before the Army but due to life circumstances, I ended up in the Army. It is one of the decisions that still haunts me to this day, so I had a question, is it possible to join the Marines as a reservist or active duty being prior Army?

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Either one you want....go talk with a recruiter. As far as the Corps is concerned you are a new join, not "prior service".

Highly doubt it. Prior service Marines cannot even get back in (there is a force reduction going on you know and we are in peacetime - only Marines doing any fighting are pilots). They won't need your services unless you can fly a F-18 Hornet off a carrier.

Read the similar threads below your question.

You do realize you'll still have to graduate USMC bootcamp - maybe graduate an E3.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Highly doubt it. Prior service Marines cannot even get back in (there is a force reduction going on you know and we are in peacetime - only Marines doing any fighting are pilots). They won't need your services unless you can fly a F-18 Hornet off a carrier.

Read the similar threads below your question.

You do realize you'll still have to graduate USMC bootcamp - maybe graduate an E3.
    I do understand. I read the similar but I know the military is always changing so I figured I would ask, sorry about the same questions. I do not mind going through boot camp all over. I guess I should rephrase my question. Can a Army guy join the Marines, even though the active duty side is downsizing, into the reserves? I thought only Marines could get into the reserves. Thank you again Master Sergeant.
    Also, Thank you Sergeant. Again, I am sorry for posting same questions.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminohelix View Post
    I do understand. I read the similar but I know the military is always changing so I figured I would ask, sorry about the same questions. I do not mind going through boot camp all over. I guess I should rephrase my question. Can a Army guy join the Marines, even though the active duty side is downsizing, into the reserves? I thought only Marines could get into the reserves. Thank you again Master Sergeant.
    Also, Thank you Sergeant. Again, I am sorry for posting same questions.
    Not a problem...but to answer your question, yes you can join the reserves or active. Being an "Army guy" really has no bearing on you joining, you will be looked at as a new join/new recruit...as I pointed out you will not be considered "prior service" so that title holds not weight.

As Top pointed out though too, the Corps is right in the middle of downsizing and if you aren't an 18/19 year old fresh out of high school with a clean record and no physical issues your chances of getting in are small....but as I said before you need to go speak with a recruiter, they are the only ones who can really tell you what your options and chances are.

No problems with your questions here and thank you for your service to this great nation. Let us know what the recruiter says (your question will become a similar thread for future use) and good luck to you.

Tennessee Top and Josephd,

I don't notice anyone mentioning Service Limitations. So the other service vets would get 8 years to make it to Sergeant since Corporals cannot be in longer than 8 years? Or would the Corps let them in for 4 years and at the end of his 10 years (6 Army and 4 Marine Corps), he would have to be a Sergeant or no reenlistment? I know their prior service counts for pay and towards retirement.

No idea about service limitations. Question for your recruiter (who may-or-may-not know either - their specialty is assessions not retention).

since you would be starting over basically again i dont think svc limits would apply... one would assume.but with the draw down i wouldnt expect to be accepted, it may happen but i wouldnt plan on it.

Gentlemen,

I guess I don't communicate clearly. This is not for me. I was trying to bring up the point that if a other service vet gets into the Marine Corps, service limitations would prevent that person from reenlisting if they did not reach a certain rank before they entered the reenlistment window.

1. With the drawdown, I agree that prior other service vets will not be allowed to enlist, but you have to check with a recruiter.
    2. Once that other service vet gets in, they will have to make rank quickly or be denied reenlistment due to service limitations.

I know rules change, but I think these other service vets are looking at joining the Corps through rose-colored glasses and not really thinking it out.

Agree. They don't realize the reality of the situation. Like many in society today, they believe the rules apply to everyone else but themselves (they can somehow get around the rules).

Thread Information