Marine Corps Reserve 3531 Motor T
Create Post

Marine Corps Reserve 3531 Motor T

I leave for bootcamp next year and am doing the 92 day reservists program so I will go to MCRD Parris Island next year and if I'm successfull I will return home and finish my junior year of college and then the summer following my junior year I will go to MCT and MOS school. I was wondering what a typical drill weekend would be like for me during my junior year considering at that time I will not have any training or experience with driving any type of vehicles. Also just what a typical drill weekend looks like for Motor T.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    depends on what type of unit you go to...but as a motor-t operator you'll be doing ALOT of PMCS(preventative maintenance checks and service) and ALOT of sitting around like every other reserve unit on a drill weekend

In the year between bootcamp and MCT/MOS school, you'll be completely useless to your unit int he capacity of a Motor T Marine. You wont drive or fix anything since you have no MOS training. Expect to sit around alot and do nothing. Most likely though, theyll keep you busy. You'll get tasked out to S1 to be a paper ***** for a year. You'll spend each drill making copies, fetching coffee, and running around your unit with lists to each shop looking for Marines who need to do **** test, weigh ins, medical, etc. You'll be selected as a pecker checker most likely since they love to **** test Marines in the reserves and you have no real value to your shop anyway. Only plus side of the 92 day thing is being able to get your grey belt before MCT and picking up LCpl (assuming youre a contract PFC before MCT.

Once you complete MOS school and go back to your unit, expect to do what Josephd said. Tons of PMCS, some sitting around, alot of ***** work that every junior Marine does anyway, and some driving here and there.

Note: I am NOT a 92 day reservist

Quote Originally Posted by LCPL1341 View Post
    In the year between bootcamp and MCT/MOS school, you'll be completely useless to your unit int he capacity of a Motor T Marine. You wont drive or fix anything since you have no MOS training. Expect to sit around alot and do nothing. Most likely though, theyll keep you busy. You'll get tasked out to S1 to be a paper ***** for a year. You'll spend each drill making copies, fetching coffee, and running around your unit with lists to each shop looking for Marines who need to do **** test, weigh ins, medical, etc. You'll be selected as a pecker checker most likely since they love to **** test Marines in the reserves and you have no real value to your shop anyway. Only plus side of the 92 day thing is being able to get your grey belt before MCT and picking up LCpl (assuming youre a contract PFC before MCT.

Once you complete MOS school and go back to your unit, expect to do what Josephd said. Tons of PMCS, some sitting around, alot of ***** work that every junior Marine does anyway, and some driving here and there.
    So update, I actually got my MOS switched to 0331 Machine Gunner which suits me alot more, I wasnt so sure about being motor t as i was rushed in the process and that was the only job open. Would i still be doing the same stuff during drill weekend (making copies, fetching coffee) or would it be completely different now that I have a different MOS?

why would it be any different? You are going to be part time in a peace time Marine Corps what else do you think you are going to do?

Can't see how a machine gunner would find a way to keep busy. You're not going to be firing that weapon on a drill weekend (probably only ever fire it during your two weeks active duty training in the summer). You can only break it down and clean it so many times and run action drills so many times. Just be glad you won't have to hump (hike) with it all the time like active duty machine gunners do. You'll get a taste of that at Infantry Training Battalion (ITB) after your junior year (you won't go to MCT now). You may want to visit your reserve unit and see if they'll let you lift a machine gun before deciding you want to carry it around on your shoulders for a few miles. While there, maybe ask the machine gunners what they do to stay busy on a drill weekend too. Your recruiter can set a meeting up for you.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukem2496 View Post
    So update, I actually got my MOS switched to 0331 Machine Gunner which suits me alot more, I wasnt so sure about being motor t as i was rushed in the process and that was the only job open. Would i still be doing the same stuff during drill weekend (making copies, fetching coffee) or would it be completely different now that I have a different MOS?
    so humping around a 30lbs machine gun along with about 80lbs of gear suits you better??....best of luck

And yes, being a 92-day reservist still leaves you with the same dilemma, before you go to ITB when you're at drill you'll be left doing b***h work. No way any of your NCO's(if they're good and not boots themselves anyway) will let you touch a weapon when you have no knowledge of it.....hahaha but they probably will make you hump it when you go to the field

Good luck bro, with Motor T, it may or may not have sucked. Now that you switched to a grunt unit, it WILL DEFINITELY SUCK. A 92 day reservist with no MOS training in an infantry unit. You're gonna have a bad time.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lcpl1341 View Post
    a 92 day reservist with no mos training in an infantry unit. You're gonna have a bad time.
    lololol.....yep!

School of hard knocks. Sometimes, one just has to learn the hard way.

Thread Information