Help! (Army or USMC?)
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member Navyurf's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Help! (Army or USMC?)

Hello all, I'm about a week away from enlisting into the Army DEP with an Airborne Ranger contract. I've already been to MEPS for my physical and ASVAB, I just had to get some medical stuff cleared. You're probably thinking why am I here if I'm enlisting in the Army? Well I'm someone who really values espirit de corps, and if I wash out of Ranger selection I'll be sent to the 82nd Airborne, where it's not exactly great. Instead of taking the risk with the Ranger contract, should I just join the USMC with an 03XX contract? I need some guidance because I'll have to tell my recruiter to cancel the MEPS appointment where I'll swear in.

Respectfully,
    Luke

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    How can we advise you about what YOU would like to do? That's not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Navyurf View Post
    Hello all, I'm about a week away from enlisting into the Army DEP with an Airborne Ranger contract. I've already been to MEPS for my physical and ASVAB, I just had to get some medical stuff cleared. You're probably thinking why am I here if I'm enlisting in the Army? Well I'm someone who really values espirit de corps, and if I wash out of Ranger selection I'll be sent to the 82nd Airborne, where it's not exactly great. Instead of taking the risk with the Ranger contract, should I just join the USMC with an 03XX contract? I need some guidance because I'll have to tell my recruiter to cancel the MEPS appointment where I'll swear in.

Respectfully,
    Luke
    if you are not sure you can make it through the Rangers, you won't make it through Marine Corps boot,,, IMO,,
    Marine Corps Boot Camp is worse the Ranger School,, That is for sure and for certain,,

no Brag Just Fact..

Credits
    Savings
    Apples and oranges, irpat54.

USMC active duty 03XX contracts are few and far between (because everybody wants one). There is a real good chance a USMC recruiter does not have one to offer you and won't till October 1st when the new MOS allocations come out. Don't make any decisions without talking to one first (and get anything they offer you in writing). Your options may go from bad to worse. They're pushing the reserve side right now so don't be surprised if they say they can get you a reserve 03XX contract but not an AD one.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    USMC active duty 03XX contracts are few and far between (because everybody wants one). There is a real good chance a USMC recruiter does not have one to offer you and won't till October 1st when the new MOS allocations come out. Don't make any decisions without talking to one first (and get anything they offer you in writing). Your options may go from bad to worse. They're pushing the reserve side right now so don't be surprised if they say they can get you a reserve 03XX contract but not an AD one.
    Thanks for the helpful reply, if infantry's full, how's the intelligence field?

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Why don't you try all the services?

Visit a recruiter and see what they have to offer. You don't have much leverage since you only have a week to work with. You'll need to make some decisions quickly. Let us know what they say.

Why dont you make your own decision. We aren't car salesmen here its your time you are doing not anyone elses.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    Just when we think we've heard everything......

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Visit a recruiter and see what they have to offer. You don't have much leverage since you only have a week to work with. You'll need to make some decisions quickly. Let us know what they say.
    Will do.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    Troll? You be the judge.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by marine1011 View Post
    Troll? You be the judge.
    How am I trolling? What reason would I have to troll? I'm a week away from making one of the biggest decisions of my life and I'm having second thoughts, didn't any of you feel the same way or did you just shoot straight into the USMC without a second glance?

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Sounds to me like he just threw that out there, because he specifically asked others to be their own judge, so he didn't say you are a troll.

Anyway, tough to suggest what to do, as it all depends on what you want. If someone asked you, what should I have for lunch tomorrow, chicken or steak or a roast beef sandwich, what would you advise them?

Surely it would be something along these lines: You know what foods you like, how can I advise you about something so subjective?

If you are this concerned, and decide to join the Army, you will later regret that decision. You can't get any more elite than the Marine Corps.

Thread Information