Help! (Army or USMC?) - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Navyurf View Post
    Apples and oranges, irpat54.
    at this you are wrong.. when I was stationed in Panama, the "Rangers" used to come to our unit for training.. by us,,
    The Marine Corps Boot Camp is the toughest and most complete in the world, so don't try to tell me what is apples and oranges,,

you haven't been their or did that. and until you can earn the Title, you have no Idea.

Marine Friend Free Member Navyurf's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    at this you are wrong.. when I was stationed in Panama, the "Rangers" used to come to our unit for training.. by us,,
    The Marine Corps Boot Camp is the toughest and most complete in the world, so don't try to tell me what is apples and oranges,,

you haven't been their or did that. and until you can earn the Title, you have no Idea.
    With all due respect, I find it hard to believe Rangers would be trained by any sort of Marine because MARSOC is being modeled after the 75th Ranger Regiment. I don't doubt Marine Corps recruit training is some of the most difficult in the world, and I do hope to earn the title and I respect you for your service and accomplishments but Marines and Rangers have different missions and comparing them truly is like comparing apples and oranges.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post

well on the other side of that coin...Marines train at Army Airborne school, Ranger School, Sapper school, Officer/leaders course, etc.....

I love the Marine Corps and being a Marine but comparing Marine Corps boot camp to Army Ranger school IS apples to oranges

And Navyurf, while I understand what you are getting at....MARSOC is NOT modeled after 75th Ranger Regiment....MARSOC has its very own doctrine which takes the best of all branches and their capabilities

What he said ^^^^

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for all of your posts in this thread, Marines. I'm supposed to go back to the recruiter on Wednesday because he has to pull all my paperwork from the Army and I'll continue the enlistment process. I'd like to go for the intelligence field, and I'm wondering if I may pm a Marine who worked in intel to get some information about it? Also, may I have this thread deleted since my issue has been resolved and I've decided to go with the Marine Corps?

Here is some history: The Marine Corps trained the first Army Drill Sergeants.

That is why the Army Drill Sergeants wear the same campaign hat. So the Army came to the Marine Corps to learn how to conduct basic combat training.

Quote Originally Posted by TolzerVman View Post
    Here is some history: The Marine Corps trained the first Army Drill Sergeants.

That is why the Army Drill Sergeants wear the same campaign hat. So the Army came to the Marine Corps to learn how to conduct basic combat training.
    I'd like to see a source for that info. I always thought the campaign cover evolved around the turn of the century because troops (both Army and Marines) who were involved in various campaigns needed a more functional hat. By 1911 or so both branches were wearing campaign covers in slightly different variants.

Thats a cool story though Tolzer, I'd love to find out if there's any truth to it.

Silveradomick, I sent you a pm and an email with my address. Send me an email and I will email you the sources.

Sources:

1. Army Magazine, August 2004, Basic Combat Training: Flashbacks and Forecasts by COL John M. Collins, US Army Retired.

2. Fort Jackson website (not sure if still active): US Army Garrison>Post Museum>History Chapter 4: 1964-1967 and beyond. It was the paragraph JACKSON SERGEANTS GET MARINE INSTRUCTION.

3. From Leatherneck Magazine:

Here is what was written with the picture.
    Let's Clear Up the Drill Sergeant and Drill Instructor Question

The question concerning the drill instructor/drill sergeant designation (August 1999) seems to arise periodically. Perhaps the following will put the matter to rest.
    Drill instructor is firmly embedded in the Marine Corps lexicon by virtue of usage dating back at least three-quarters of a century to a time when the position and duties were more likely filled by corporals and even privates first class.
    In 1965, I was director of DI school at Parris Island, S.C. when the Army requested a feasibility study regarding the training of Army noncommissioned officers with Marine candidates for Drill Instructors School. As a result of this study, 10 of the top NCOs in the Army entered and completed the training to provide a cadre of men to standardize training throughout the Army.
    The term drill sergeant was deliberately selected by the Army to reflect the highest degree of maturity and military leadership necessary in the Army task organization. When they graduated, they were presented the same distinctive field hat (campaign hat) that identifies the Marine drill instructor.
    The picture, left, depicts 10 Army NCOs and part of DI Class 3-65 on March 12, 1965. As far as I know, this was a onetime effort.

Retired Maj John F. Shovar, Lincoln, R.I.
    Taken from Leatherneck Magazine, October 1999

As provided earlier from the Fort Jackson website, there was one more class of 10-Soldiers, which graduated on 21 May 1965.

That's interesting stuff! Hadn't heard of that before. Thanks for sharing it publicly so that others can enjoy.

Besides Ranger School (where our CMC graduated from), the fact is, many Marines go to Army schools to be trained. Off the top of my head, I can think of Fort Sill, OK for artillery. Fort Leonard Wood, MO for MP, NBC, and Heavy Equipment Operator. Fort Benning, GA for armor (tanks). Fort Lee, VA for Bulk Fuel, Food Service, Small Arms Repair, Ammo Tech, and Metal Worker (welder). I'm sure there's more I can't think of right now.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by s3ction8 View Post
    Get out.
    I'm really confused, who are you?

Troll. Profile says he joined in 2005 and is still a private.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Troll. Profile says he joined in 2005 and is still a private.
    Thought so, thanks. Tennessee Top, do you know any Marines in intelligence I may speak to? I can't decide whether I should go intel or infantry.

Thread Information