College Grad with questions about Enlisting
Create Post

College Grad with questions about Enlisting

So, I'm 26 an I recently graduated college with a Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice. I've got a great job that I was lucky to land but I am seriously considering the military and am extremely interested in the Marine Corp as my father is a marine who was active in Vietnam and it has changed his life. I also have multiple friends in the Corp. I kind of majored more so in booze and girls in college and my GPA is **** poor and I've already been turned down for OCS. But that hasn't deterred me and I'm still interested in a career with the Corp. I've been looking a lot into MP as I've discovered its pretty much a myth that Civilian Law Enforcement doesn't like Military MP's and being in law enforcement afterwards is my main goal. I've learned that pretty much the hardest part about the whole thing would be putting up with the younger guys and being berated about being a college grad. I'm not worried about the physical part as I did competitions in college, and even though I screwed around I feel confident in my mental ability. I just would like an honest non-bull****, non-recruiter answer on whether or not it would be worth it. Thanks for any insight you guys can provide and Thank you all for your service.

Similar Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie89 View Post
    SI just would like an honest non-bull****, non-recruiter answer on whether or not it would be worth it. Thanks for any insight you guys can provide and Thank you all for your service.
    I'll give you a bump....

BOLD: not sure exactly what you mean by that statement.
    I'd just throw out that only your genuine desire to earn the coveted EGA would determine if it 'would be worth it' for you.
    If you haven't already I'd suggest see the recruiter for what would be available to you.

You got the choice of active duty or reserves.
    If you're asking for an irrelevant outside opinion based on your age, the fact you have a good job now and the rest of your post it may be prudent to just go into LE now.
    But....I've been wrong in the past.

Good luck on whatever path you take.

Carry on....

I'm a college graduate who went to boot camp after completing my degree; here's what my experience was like:

1) People will find out you have a degree, and not necessarily berate you, but look at you in confusion and ask why you didn't go officer instead. Some might respect you for it, some might think you're an idiot.

2) In boot camp, the SDI will find out that you went to college (they ask straight out, and people raise their hands); because you completed a Bachelors, you will be singled out in boot camp...this means extra responsibility in the form of a billet. I was made the scribe and it was a bit extra pressure and extra responsibility, but I didn't mind it really.

3) At the same time, when you screw up, the DI's might look at you and give you extra sh*t because you're a college grad and making stupid mistakes, they'll berate you for it (using some very colorful language) and basically do what drill instructors do. Take it all in stride, it's all a game, and it's done in just over 3 months.

4) MCT/SOI: At these schools, no one will really give a **** about education or ask questions about it. The most I got from combat instructors at MCT was props on enlisting with a degree and acknowledgement of life experience prior to joining (since I was older than most Marines). You'll still get treated like everyone else and wont be treated better or worse.

5) MOS school: This is where your college degree might give you the chance to shine a bit since they will expect you to be more mature than your peers. Volunteer for leadership billets whenever the opportunity presents itself. If you don't suck and maintain it thru the whole cycle you can get awards and special recognition for it (which looks great on your record).

That being said; is it worth it? For me, yes it was. I wanted to be a Marine for a bit, and followed through with it when I talked to my recruiter. Boot camp sucked, MCT sucked, MOS school had its ups and downs...but all those experiences were drastic changes from the academic classroom environment of college. Whereas in college, things were relaxed and laid back, the military environment was very strict, regimented and....difficult, for lack of a better word. I got dirty, I got sweaty, I got to fire weapons I've never touched before, bled a little, threw up a little, but all those experiences made me a whole person. Said experiences also made me appreciate what I have at home and civilian life much more, and its a great feeling. Then comes the pride of the uniform and the title. I'm over two years removed from boot camp, and although I get complacent at times and take it for granted, I just take a step back and realize that I'm doing something most people don't/won't do. Was it worth it? For me, yes...there are times that suck, but the good outweighs the bad so far. Is it worth it for you? That's up to you, but as a Marine with a background similar to yours, I've enjoyed it thus far.

With majors in booze and girls, and a **** poor GPA, you sound like perfect USMC material to me.

A little different, I was fortunate enough to complete both my AA and BS degrees while on active duty (over about a 10 year period).

FYI, we belong to a Corps and not a Corp. You need to square that away (and don't blame it on your phone).

You should know, one cannot be garaunteed a MP contract. The contract is for MP/corrections field. At the completion of MCT, you will go to either MP school or corrections (prison guard) school depending on the needs of the USMC at that time. It's a gamble.

Time to go visit your local recruiter. Let us know how it went.

LCPL1341 is pretty much right on the money - you'll get some **** in bootcamp, but then again, everyone gets some **** in bootcamp.

Once you hit the fleet, no one really cares, except that your officers and NCOs will probably expect more from you. Many of your fellow LCpls and PFCs when you hit the fleet will be doing their best to major in booze and girls - hopefully you will have put that behind you and can (maybe) have a positive influence on some of them.

Is it worth it? Only you can answer that question.

you will probably get more flak abnout being old than being a college graduate. I had a degree when i went to Parris Island I was also 27 when I went to boot camp so quite a bit older than most of the other recruits. itll work to your benefit or it could be your downfall. there are several things you could do you could blend in and be genpop the whole time and skate through boot camp, you could rise to the top and be guide squad leader or one of them billets, or you could sink to the bottom and get descimated for 3 months. in all reality you choose what your 13 weeks is going to be like.

Thread Information