Bootcamp mail
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bootcamp mail

Bootcamp mail

hey just wondering how mail in boot camp works?

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You might try posting in the correct area...
    Ask your question in Ask a Marine...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Moved to Ask a Marine

Click the link in the thread. Bamcis! I love it when a plan comes together.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    ummm....friends/family send you mail, you reply....you put your love letter in an envelope with an address and stamp on it

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Yes. Someone sends a letter, your DI announces "Mail Call" then gives you your letter. You write back and it gets to them and they open it and read it. Then THEY write another letter, and so forth.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Joe and I combined are just walking encyclopedias of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    You two are unbelievable! How you can know so much about so many things, it's just crazy. But you both forgot one thing for the OP:

Make sure you have your ladies (GF, wife, Mom, whoever) put a little perfume on the letters when they send them. And a lipstick kiss on the outside is extra bonus points!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    years of experience have brought me to where I am today

One guy got a letter sealed with a kiss and hilarity ensued. The next day I got a SWAK with bright red lipstick and nothing happened, oddly enough.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Really odd, Sir---normally that would have brought about extreme penalties. LOL

Really odd, Sir---normally that would have brought about extreme penalties. LOL
    Maybe I just did everything with speed and intensity

Thread Hijack.

Reminds me, the night before family day, just after our battalion field meet, I got put on a working party to go scuzz and mop Yeckel Hall, the main class room across the parade deck from the barracks. You know, so that it would be all pretty-like for the parents. As a dutiful squad leader I made sure I was the last one out after finishing and we beat feet back to the barracks since lights out was already called.

I got on the quarterdeck and firewatch told me that GySgt K was waiting for me in the duty hut to give me some mail. That's not always a fun thing to hear, right? So I banged the hatch, sounded off and he comes out and chucks a medium sized FedEx box at my feet and says, "open it." I'm thinking... on the second to last night here, what perfect yet horrible timing.

Turns out my wife, girlfriend at the time, had baked some stuff and cooked up some other stuff for me and whoever else wanted it. One of the things was mochi rice candy, which had melted and congealed in the mail, and looked like orange goo. He looks at it and goes "wtf is that, there dang candidate?" I replied, "It's mochi, gunnery sergeant." "Moldy cheese?" "No, gunnery sergeant, mochi. This candidate can't explain it but will give some to the gunnery sergeant if he wants to try it." "If I eat it will it f'ing kill me?" "No gunnery sergeant." "OK. Hm... mmm! S--t is pretty good you understand?" He beckons SSgt G over and offers it to him. The whole platoon is listening to this exchange, some starting to lose their bearing. "Is this girl coming tomorrow?" "Yes, gunn-" "Great, she can show me how to make it. Get in the rack right now." He throws the box down the highway towards my rack.

After GySgt K went back into the duty hut I scrambled back to my rack and was asked by no less than 5 candidates if they could have some too. I never got any... it was all gone before it got back to my rack, all that for nothing, lol.

I guess you had to be there, and it really isn't that funny in hindsight, but I was sure it was about to be a lot worse than that.

Edit: no, it absolutely was NOT normal to have any food sent in the mail actually end up in the candidate's possession. I think it was one of those "you've made it" deals where had it happened in any of the previous 11 weeks, I wouldn't have seen it again, or had to eat it all right there on the spot.

/end hijack

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    OUTSTANDING story. LOL

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I certainly hope the OP learns a thing or two from this thread!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    OP, to answer your question seriously, the moment you get to boot camp you should advise family and friends of your mailing address, which they will give to you there. Then the letters can start coming in to you a lot sooner than if you wait. Some people fool around and delay and by the time the first letter comes from home, the new Marine is long gone from PI or SD----so take addresses of folks with you, get to boot camp, immediately write to them and give them your boot camp address----------as I said before, there will be "mail call" and you will be given your mail, this is a nightly thing. Be sure and tell people NOT to send stupid things like boxes of candy or food or seal the envelopes with lipstick kisses and perfume and attract the attention of the DIs or you will find yourself doing PT for a living while you're in boot camp.

Thread Information