I am enlisting into Marine Recon, I have many questions
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am enlisting into Marine Recon, I have many questions

I'll start off by giving an introduction to myself. If you don't care, scroll down to the next tabbed space below. My name is zack, I have been wanting to go into the marine corps since I was a kid and now it's time. As of right now I am not enlisted into the USMC only because I am in a independent studies school and they won't allow me to enlist without my diploma in hand. I am enlisting into recon which o believe is the UV contact or the vz now. Something similar. I have been shooting since I was a kid and I could shoot doves out of trees from 100 yard away with a daisy bb gun consistently. No one else could. I quickly went up into high powered air guns and then rifles. Now my shot is 600yards consecutively at a penny....next is at a dime but then it just gets to the accuracy of your rifle. Anyways. I have experience with police as well. I was a Beaumont ca police explorer for 1.5 years until I left due to hating it so much (dirty work). However while I was there I out shot many many people. I was told I out shot the majority of the police department, which is quite the accomplishment considering theyre many ex-military in police work. I also graduated from police explorer academy. I have shot from a .17hmr up to a .50 black powder. I have shot as many possible guns as I can put my hands on.

Now that you know some of my experience with shooting and marksmanship as well as military-like lifestyle, let's get down to the questions. I am planning on enlisting somewhere around June 15 which will be a little after my graduation. From there I have a bodybuilding competition on august 12th so I will not be training for recon physically until after august. I've been training for 2 years for this competition so there's no possible way I am not going. However I am in amazing shape still. I will now list my questions in an orderly manner

#1: I am planning on training my marksmanship before basic and recon school, I know with my experience of firearms and my marksmanship skills right now, I will need a higher end rifle. However being young and having a part time job it is hard. I have done much much research and found that it would be best of I bought the colt le6920 SOCOM AR-15. It is a rifle that will allow me to train with that is almost identical to what I would use in combat. I also will be able to use the rifle for hunting and what not through my life as well. But it costs me $1,500 plus ammo and extra clips. I then researched for a side arm and it came down to a colt 1911. Also a quality firearm almost identical to military issue. What are your views on these guns. I will be using them for self defense, hunting, plinking, and combat training. And maybe some long range shooting with the AR. So with that considering what is your viewpoint. I have no problem spending that money as well.

#2: I want to get a forearm tattoo, however marine corps policy says I cannot. Its an american flag tattoo. What is the probability that the guidelines will change as tattoos are becoming more seen and accepted these days.

#3: I want to be and CAN be the best in all aspects of being a marine, physically, mentally, and any other way. What is the state of a recon marine like? Obviously I bodybuild very hardcore. 8 meals a day, every three hours, that means I wake up 3 times a night while sleeping just to eat. It becoes challenging after the months of doing it. What is recon going to be like for me as an extreme fitness enthusiast?

#4: How good is a recon marines shot? Obviously they have to make expert marksman but what is their shooting like?

#5: I want to get the most out of my military career, how do o get the most out of my enlistment? Signing bonuses, other bonuses, etc. Does it help for bonuses if I'm crazy fit. (I'm a bodybuilder and I can do 40 pull ups at 185lbs 6'.) How will I get thee absolute most out of my enlistment. Money wise and rank and the way they view me as well.

#6: when you are not deployed in recon or whatnot. What do you do? Relax on base and shoot if you want? Do you have free time? Can you see family? Can you shoot anytime? Is there required PT?

#7: what will be the number one thing that may save my life one day while in combat?

#8: will the other marines sourroundingnme in recon be as hardcore as myself (not meaning to brag at all, many marines are BA but I know that I work very very hard). Will they PT as much as myself and strive to the be the absolute best? Or will the mess around like idiots like army infantry?

#9: can you get military discount while being an enlisted Marine? (For purchasing the AR and 1911)

#10: how much will I make being a recon marine and all the optional training I can do? (I have read over pay charts but it's not very helpful once you go special forces).

Any feedback is very very appreciated. Please wish me luck on my enlistment. ALSO I haven't taken my asvab yet but I did a marine corps practice test and got a 70. However I feel as I can do much better so I received asvab study books from the library to study. Thank you for everything guys.

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'll start out by bursting your bubble:

1. No one will care how well or how much you shot as a teenaged civilian. Or any semi-military "experiences" you may have. The Marine Corps (note the capital letters) will teach you their way and that way you shall learn. It sounds to me like you will be bringing a ton of bad shooting habits with you. Save your money and don't buy the rifle. By the way, Old Salt, they are called "magazines" not "clips."

2. No tats. Period. Don't count on the policy changing any time soon.

3. After your competition, back off on the weights. Add more aerobics. Get used to eating something close to normal. In boot camp (note, not basic), you will eat three time per day and that's it. Woe betide you if you take (steal) food from the mess hall and eat it in the squadbay.

4. Being an expert shooter is nice, but not required to be in Recon.

5. If you're worried about signing bonuses, join the Army. In the Corps you either rate a bonus or you don't. How much steel you can shift means nothing.

6. Yes, in your free time you can relax. No you can't shoot anytime you like. You can go to civilian ranges while on liberty (but not with your issued firearms). Yes, there will be required PT. There will also be a lot of required stuff that doesn't involve PT or shooting.

7. Teamwork. Your current attitude is based on "me, me, me." Starting thinking "us, us, us."

8. No, Recon in general may not PT as much as you want to do. There are other things needing doing besides PT.

9. Stop worrying about buying guns. Become a Marine first (note the capital letter).

10. You worry too much about money. A Recon Marine gets paid the same for their pay grade as anyone else. You may earn special pay and allowances for being jump qualified, scuba qualified (military schools only, not civilian), combat pay, and possibly a few other items IF you qualify.

11. Do you know how to swim? Replace your heavy duty weight lifting with a lot of swimming.

12. Now all you have to do is pass boot camp, ITB, and Ricky Recon selection. Oh, and develop a more humble opinion of yourself. You can do that now on your own, or later when it will be much harder.

13. Remember, if you bomb recon selection, your contract becomes an open contract and the Corps can assign you to any MOS they want, and it probably won't be infantry.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Unless the OP gets some much needed humility somewhere, and quickly, he is not Marine Corps material. Too pleased with himself. Normally, people like that don't mix in well with others from all walks of life.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Had not yet seen Zulu's number 12 when I commented.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    In answer to #7......the number one thing that will save your life is, join the Air Force. Men like you get killed often in combat, as it is hard as hell to kill the sob that is shooting at you.....when both your hands are patting yourself on the back.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Punk. I looked at your profile and saw your picture. You look like a poster child for DADT. Hahahahaha !!!.

Go Air Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post

1. No one will care how well or how much you shot as a teenaged civilian. Or any semi-military "experiences" you may have. The Marine Corps (note the capital letters) will teach you their way and that way you shall learn. It sounds to me like you will be bringing a ton of bad shooting habits with you. Save your money and don't buy the rifle. By the way, Old Salt, they are called "magazines" not "clips."

3. After your competition, back off on the weights. Add more aerobics. Get used to eating something close to normal. In boot camp (note, not basic), you will eat three time per day and that's it. Woe betide you if you take (steal) food from the mess hall and eat it in the squadbay.

5. If you're worried about signing bonuses, join the Army. In the Corps you either rate a bonus or you don't. How much steel you can shift means nothing.

6. Yes, in your free time you can relax. No you can't shoot anytime you like. You can go to civilian ranges while on liberty (but not with your issued firearms). Yes, there will be required PT. There will also be a lot of required stuff that doesn't involve PT or shooting.

7. Teamwork. Your current attitude is based on "me, me, me." Starting thinking "us, us, us."

8. No, Recon in general may not PT as much as you want to do. There are other things needing doing besides PT.

9. Stop worrying about buying guns. Become a Marine first (note the capital letter).

10. You worry too much about money. A Recon Marine gets paid the same for their pay grade as anyone else. You may earn special pay and allowances for being jump qualified, scuba qualified (military schools only, not civilian), combat pay, and possibly a few other items IF you qualify.

11. Do you know how to swim? Replace your heavy duty weight lifting with a lot of swimming.

12. Now all you have to do is pass boot camp, ITB, and Ricky Recon selection. Oh, and develop a more humble opinion of yourself. You can do that now on your own, or later when it will be much harder.

13. Remember, if you bomb recon selection, your contract becomes an open contract and the Corps can assign you to any MOS they want, and it probably won't be infantry.
    I appreate the feedback very much, thank you. However you are strongly misled by who I am and what I'm wanting. I do not come here to be an overall bad-a#$ or be some kind of hero (however everyone wishes to be so right). But these were questions I just had personally about MY enlistment (note the title.) NOT about whether I will pass basic or any of the added opinions. Which actually I appreciate very much as it allows me to see how the average marine acts. There's few ways of interpreting these messages. Guys I came on the fourm to get questions anwsered, I'm an 18 year old who will become thee absolute best I absolutely can and I know I will. Not because I'm cocky or errogant, which I try very very hard not to be because as a man and a bodybuilder it is very hard guys. But because I know what I'm capable of, and I've been tested like I mentioned above, many many times (police explorers). And I told you guys that to know my background to be able to answer my questions more thourally. View it like this...what other 18 year old will be looking into being a United States Marine THIS much (notice the capital?) Everything I do is based on what will get me the absolute results. I understand from your viewpoint it can be seen that I wouldnt be a team member possibly, but this forum is about MY enlistment. Nothing more. So please, before you go trying to 'burst bubbles' review the situation bro. I'm trying to be the absolute best marine I, MYSELF, ME, can be. And then from that foundation my team on recon and myself will be the most capable recon team is the USMC.

*feedback coninuted questions*

You say I will have many bad habits to bring onto the marksman aspect of the USMC, however, paying attention to my previous background, I have shot with and along side with, former Marine Recon officer brooks. (I called him senior drill instructor officer brooks), I've been taught by him, my Army uncle, I've done my extreme amounts of research on the topic, and I've been training with the police department for over 1.5 years. And if you know anything about the police department, its full of former-military, so everyone knows how to shoot properly. NOW!! To my question, having the information you do now and my just my personal belief that I know how to fire a firearm correctly, answer my question accordingly if you will, it would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    Punk. I looked at your profile and saw your picture. You look like a poster child for DADT. Hahahahaha !!!.

Go Air Force.
    Appreciate that thanks very much. That's what over 20,000 in food alone, gym everyday, a coach, and a competition gets you in over a 2 year span. From 135lbs and 8%bf to 185lbs 5-6%bf right now. I will soon be at 3%bf. Please don't put down my physique it has taken a very long time and a very large amount of dedication, determination, and motivation to be where I am now in bodybuilding. I would appreciate that very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    In answer to #7......the number one thing that will save your life is, join the Air Force. Men like you get killed often in combat, as it is hard as hell to kill the sob that is shooting at you.....when both your hands are patting yourself on the back.
    I understand where your coming from reading the above but you must understand I come here for questions simply put. Not to be judged according to your personal abilities or who you are. I came for questions to be anwsered to better myself in the USMC, and for enlistment purposes only. Please don't be judging someone and who they are by one post on a forum sir, I'm here simply to ask questions to better my USMC in all aspects that I can possibly achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by joseywales View Post
    Unless the OP gets some much needed humility somewhere, and quickly, he is not Marine Corps material. Too pleased with himself. Normally, people like that don't mix in well with others from all walks of life.
    Once again, I'm not here to please your reading eyes and write you a novel. I'm here to get simple questions answered to better myself as a new Marine. Hopefully my long days of training and researching may save more Marines lives one day. That's what I'm striving for.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post

Also old friend, about 'have you ever even swam'.....I did water polo for 3 years while at Beaumont high as well as swim at the same time. Easy sh$#. But I swam with the seniors when I was a freshman, I swam alongside an air force team water polo player Landon Carr. We used to share a lane together. I was 15 he was 18 I kept up fine. So yes "can you evening swim". Swimming is like walking for me. I trained for a very long time in water polo and swim. Very well trained in those areas and not worries about the h2o part of training.

Credits
    Savings
    Arkangel1200

I think you may well be "related" to the
    Last/past/couldn't say it better/Carrvy1.
    NAHHHHHH,

the humble part of you ran down outside your mothers
    legs....

take some time,, tell us, Who'sYerDaddy ????
    and with all your KNOW IT ALL ?

why are you asking ?

What in the world are you talking about. Can you please have some respect and some maturity when talking. I'm looking for answers to questions I have specifically. I give background Intel just so they can base their answers off something. Then they start judging unaccoddingly as yourself saying I'm not humble 'can I even swim' critiquing my physique. That's unacceptable. I came for answers to better myself thinking you guys were mature, intelligent, Marines. But saying what you guys have said makes no sense at all. Judging myself is not needed, I'm coming here taking the time to ask questions and responding to feedback to better myself and better the USMC as well as hopefully save more lives possibly by knowledge. Such as better shooting, knowing the body inside and out so if someone is inurjured you can help them MORE than you are trained for in basic. I am looking for help guys not a judgment of my lifespan haha I can be an ******* too but I am sincerely really trying to be kind to all you guys even though it is unneeded.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    """""Not because I'm cocky or errogant, which I try very very hard not to be because as a man and a bodybuilder it is very hard guys.""""""

haahahaahhahhahahaha--did I mention that I can outdo you in marksmanship Yesterawy four friends of mine said hey if we throw up two hands of quarters each how many can you shoot before they hit the ground. Hell, I said, I took lessons from Arch Angel hisself, and sure enough I hit em all, and not just that but purposely obliterated the date on each one.Just like the archangel

That's good shootin bro. But there's many many things that go into being a Marine as you know so I can't focus all on shooting. I have to be optimal in all areas capable.

Thread Information