Hazing
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hazing

Hazing

I have searched the forums on this issue and cant find anything since 2011. Since this is a concern now i will reopen the question.
    I guess i don't understand this hazing tradition in the Corps. I dont understand the logic or reasoning behind it.

Hypotheticaly a young Marine reports to his first duty station. During the night several "seniors" enter his room hold him down while others beat him and his roommate to the point they have trouble walking. This entire incident is witnessed by a Gunny. They are warned not to go to medics or it will get worse. Now i understand if they were screwups and causing problems but just arrived ? If it was me I think i would hold a very serious grudge against my "brothers" for a very long time. Can someone please explain this "tradition"?

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    That never happened in my era, so I can't identify with it, but it is a crime under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). In this day and age we love and glorify violence every chance we get, despite our protestations that we hate it with all our hearts. It must be some new cultural thing, is all I can think of. Marines who are in now or were in recently might be able to shed some light on this. PM four guys here and see what they respond with. josephd, munkyvsrobot, LCPL1341 and devilbones2. Those are some of the most knowledgeable and helpful people here, and PM someone else too, username is kegler300

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I'd like to have Phantom Blooper check this out too, I just PMd him.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    There is no such tradition !!! as you put it. Who are you ? What are you fishing for ? Now go haze yourself and get off these boards.

What did you do, watch " A Few Good Men " on TV last night ?

never heard of this ether, back when I was in boot camp, we were disciplined but never like that.. we went to "happy valley" and things like that as a platoon..

The Proud, The Few, The Constitutional Marine
    Merry Christmas

what is the reason for this question, what member of yours family is in the Corps.

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    There is no such tradition !!! as you put it. Who are you ? What are you fishing for ? Now go haze yourself and get off these boards.

What did you do, watch " A Few Good Men " on TV last night ?
    Either that or Jarhead where thy tried to brand him..

Whatever the heck you were watching that crap dsnt happen. Does hazing happen yes, do some of this individuals take it too far? Yes. But in the method you described only in movies. Not sure what you are trying to reach for but I can dfinitely tell you are not a Marine or know a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    Either that or Jarhead where thy tried to brand him..

Whatever the heck you were watching that crap dsnt happen. Does hazing happen yes, do some of this individuals take it too far? Yes. But in the method you described only in movies. Not sure what you are trying to reach for but I can dfinitely tell you are not a Marine or know a Marine.
    ether that or Full Metal Jacket..lol

Merry Christmas

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    In my day I never witnessed anything that was considered "hazing"....
    there was pinning of rank and the pinning of blood stripes......these
    rituals were considered "a right of passage".....
    Some were hurt and some couldn't walk.....this was the norm....
    The only knowledge of hazing was "blanket parties" these were usually administered
    as corrective measure for thief's...some were hospitalized....some were not....
    Some made it to NJP (Office Hours)bruised and broken in slings and on crutches.
    The staff usually looked the other way....This "ritual" didn't happen often....because
    of what can potentially happen.

There is what is considered "hazing" now was never considered hazing.
    What bothers me about this post is...." Hypothetically a young Marine reports to his first duty station."
    Never have I heard that statement...either it happened or it didn't.
    Again never seen the new guy get his azz beat the first night there unless old wounds opened from
    a former duty station....or thievery....or drunk and running their mouth. Most of the time you have too prove yourself
    in the proficiency of your MOS....not your strength....at least not on the check in day/night. Normally even though your the "FNG"
    you pair up with somebody and go have a beer....flick.....and comradeship.
    Hell the first night there and never seen or met your attacker and they start whipping on you...
    I wouldn't do it until at least the second night to see if he knows karate or jujitsu...or he carries

And in this situation...I don't believe in a "hazing" incident as described....the "Gunny" would look the other way.
    No Gunnies I know or knew.....If it was as I described above they may help get a few blows in.
    There is more to this "Hypothetical" story.
    Hazing can be charged under the UCMJ Article 93 for "Cruel and Unusual Punishment" and Article 92 for "Disobeying A Lawful Order"
    Probably Article 134 a general catch all if the prosecutor thought it warranted.
    However if this "hypothetical" situation is true and they have trouble walking....there would be an investigation forthcoming....

Even though at times the Marine Corps feels like prison...it is not....you have do something to justify an azz beating....and liken to
    prison a rat is a rat.....and unless it is rape....murder....child/sexual abuse most Marines won't rat on another Marine unless
    there is just cause....
    And I personally need more information than a "Hypothetical" situation.

Obviously i caused an uproar that i did not intend. It happened to my son and his roommate. Neither are screw ups as they just reported to their first duty station. I am purposely being vague as i don't know who reads these posts and do not want to cause any more problems for either of them. Because a Gunny is invovled that do not feel free to go anywhere with this within the chain of command. They also dont want to considered a snitch. I am not sure what more information i can provide to "prove" the incident happen. I guess what i am looking for is how long this treatment could last.
    Again i apologize for offending but as a parent getting this information it can be just a tad distressing.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    I usually smell embellishment when I hear stories like these...

Such tales are to enhance their perceived happenings both real and or imagined...

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I think it's utter BS. Maybe you should ask your son what he is leaving out. Common sense would dictate that a career NCO would not twiddle his thumbs while 2 new Marines, (that none of them know from Joe shet the rag man), get their azzes pounded, for no apparent reason. Never heard of it in my time. The only ones that got an attitude adjustment, was real shet heads.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Since this is no longer hypothetical I will say that I understand your concern....I also agree with the above posts.

I am a father and a grandfather and even though my children are in their mid 30's some of things they say I look right through.

I have never known this type of thing to happen for no reason. Not saying something didn't happen ...however you are getting only your sons and bunkies side and we are getting yours....third and fourth party.

It takes an action to get a reaction....

If those Marines just checked into a unit healthy and next day could not hardly walk someone in the command would notice and want to know why.

" I guess what I am looking for is how long this treatment could last?"

As long as they let it......or if they did something they shouldn't have until they don't do it anymore....

As far as a Gunny being involved......Not saying it doesn't happen ......but I find it hard to fathom a Gunny being involved....they are human....but they have too much to loose.

No one deserves an unjustifiable azz beating....but now you need to get the rest of the story.Because something isn't right.

Administrator Platinum Member madsox's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    What Billy and Bloop said, plus one. I never heard of anything like this happening except maybe, just maybe someplace where somebody had really caused some serious **** already. Made enemies in and outside the unit, not just an argument at the club. We may have had one blanket party in bootcamp for a recruit who was constantly getting his platoon thrashed, because he wouldn't just do what the DIs told him, but that's different.

This story, if it's what happened, has got more to it. Get your CSI/detective hat on and dig for the truth. I don't think you've got it all right now.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    BS

BS

BS

With how strict the Corps is now on things that can be considered "hazing", nothing that extreme would ever happen....And IF it did I can guarantee there would not be a Gunny or any other Senior/Staff NCO observing, that is an instant career ender.

Do things happen between Marines(Seniors to Juniors) that could be defined as "hazing"?...Yes, but it is between those Marines and no one there to witness it(especially a Gunny or other Staff NCO)... Is there things that certain units do as tradition?...Yes, nothing to that extreme though. Most "traditions" are all done in good fun and in no way involve physically abusing anyone.

Again......BS

Thread Information