dress blues
Create Post

Thread: dress blues

dress blues

My nephew was in the Marine Corps for a very short time and he received an admin separation. I am not being mean but my nephew was never serious about the Marine Corps and without going into detail in his short time in he was a disgrace to the uniform. He now works at a funeral home and wants to wear the dress blues on memorial day what i'm wanting to know is qualifies you to wear the uniform after separation. I know a lot of good Marines and my son will soon join your ranks and I don't feel it's right for my nephew to wear the uniform it would be an injustice to the men and women who deserve the honor of wearing it. Thank you in advance for any information.

Similar Threads:

"As a former Marine there are some restrictions:
    You must have served during a time of war (i.e. earned the National Defense Medal during your time in service) and received an honorable discharge to wear the uniform.
    Events you are restricted to wearing it to:
    Military funerals, memorial services, weddings, and inaugurals.
    Parades on national or state holidays; or other parades or ceremonies of a patriotic character in which any active or reserve United States military unit are taking part. ‘Wearing of the uniform or any part thereof at any other time or for any purpose is prohibited.’ "

I would say no he is not authorized to wear the uniform.

I'm curious to know where that quote came from. Never heard of it nor seen it anywhere.

I always thought, as long as you received an honorable discharge, and are within grooming/uniform regulations, you are good-to-go.

I do know plenty of former Marines wear their uniforms to recruit graduations to watch their son/daughter become Marines (have seen them). They would be surprised to know (like I am), they are in violation of this rule.

We have a volunteer color guard detail here made up of veterans from all the services and they were their respective uniforms. They march in local parades (like this weekends Memorial Day parade), present the colors at athletic events for the national anthem, etc. Would not want to tell them they also are in violation of this rule because they take their roles very seriously. Doubt they would stop volunteering.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Never heard you had to have served in time of war to wear Dress Blues. I think that's B.S. Also we got the National Defense Medal right out of boot camp. You get the NDF no matter where, or what ear you served, war or not.

I'm surprising myself saying this, but you might actually run this question past a recruiter.

I think with an admin sep (no official discharge, honorable or other, right?) he would not rate wearing blues. Not that you can really stop him, but you can shame him if you want.

I think. I dunno, mine don't fit so I couldn't wear them without a visit to the tailor. They got smaller over the last couple decades, I swear!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    You get the NDF no matter where, or what ear you served, war or not.
    Not so Billy....NDM stopped sometime after the VN war in 75-76.

I am not sure if the 1st Gulf war received one r not....then it was stopped an not reissued until 911.....could have dates and facts wrong but I believe a declared act of war rates NDM until congress? stops it.

About the blues there is a lengthy post in Uniform U.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Not so Billy....NDM stopped sometime after the VN war in 75-76.

I am not sure if the 1st Gulf war received one r not....then it was stopped an not reissued until 911.....could have dates and facts wrong but I believe a declared act of war rates NDM until congress? stops it.

About the blues there is a lengthy post in Uniform U.
    Background
    This medal was authorized by Executive Order 10448, April 22, 1953, and amended by Executive Order 11256, Jan. 11, 1966.

Criteria
    It is awarded for honorable active military service as a member of the armed forces of the United States including the Coast Guard, between June 27, 1950 and July 27, 1954, (Korean War), between Jan. 1, 1961 and Aug. 14, 1974, (Vietnam War), between Aug. 2, 1990 to Nov. 30, 1995 (operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm), and currently from Sept. 11, 2001 to a date to be determined (terrorism attacks on the United States).
    Service members who earned the medal during the first qualifying period, and who again became entitled to the medal, wear a bronze star on the ribbon to denote the second award of the medal.

Medal Description
    The medal was designed by the Army of Heraldic Section. The obverse shows the American bald eagle perched on a sword and palm.
    Above this, in a semicircle, is the inscription "National Defense." The reverse shows a shield, as it appears in the Great Seal of the United States; it is half encircled below with an oak leaf to the left and laurel spray to the right knotted in the center.

MCO P1020.34G Chapter 11, 11002 Department of Defense directives pertaining to uniforms, Section B.

That is where I gathered my information.

I have seen pics of Marines before 911 with a shooting badge but no ribbons. Looks strange like they forgot to put their ribbons on. In fact, they did not rate any ribbons (including the NDSM) at that point in their career.

Thread Information