Is it true enlisted Marines get deployed longer and more often than officers?
Create Post

Is it true enlisted Marines get deployed longer and more often than officers?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    No...who told you that?......If anyone was to stay longer it would the officers as many of them on advon to get intel and set stuff up fro their troops

When a unit deploys, it has: Junior Marines, NCOs, SNCOs, and officers. Higher level leadership actually gets more deployment opportunities than junior enlisted in most cases.

My wife was told this by the former wife of a Marine. I know there are a lot of rumors out there about so I wanted to clear this one up. Thank you for the information.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I was deployed numerous times and officers served side by side with enlisted Marines.

An officer mays have more opportunity to go to schools of longer duration than enlisted Marines....but these are not considered deployment.

The only thing officers may have better than enlisted Marines are billeting quarters on ship...but in the dirt and sand everyone is equal.....unless there is a rear CP.

Don't always listen to scuttlebutt it can make you a sea lawyer....without a degree.

The only way that I can see where this may have come up is that generally, an officer is with a deploying unit for a shorter period of time than an enlisted Marine. If you are looking at a standard 6 month deployment cycle (as opposed to packing up and going off to war), then officers are generally there for two deployments (roughly 2 to 3 years). Enlisted Marines may be assigned to the unit longer (2 to 3 deployments). As a result, enlisted Marines may see an officer come into the unit, go on one deployment, and then leave the unit. What they don't see is that the officer did two pumps with another unit and was sent to your unit to fill a specific slot for that one pump - or leaves your unit to go fill a slot at the next MEU going out.

As far as deployed longer? Didn't see that happening - as the Blooper says, it's probably more likely that the officers are gone longer. A wife missing her Marine may see the Battalion XO and a couple of others come home from deployment a couple of weeks earlier than her husband, but what she didn't see was the XO deploying a month in advance of the unit.

Thread Information