Open Contract?
Create Post

Thread: Open Contract?

Open Contract?

Greetings, my name is Michael Li and I am currently a poolee attending PT and functions at the South Austin Recruiting Station in Austin Texas. I've sworn in and my ship date to boot camp is 20150608 so I've got less than a month to figure this out.
    Due to a petty theft charge that resulted in a misconduct waiver, I am currently not qualified for a Secret Security clearance. I've been told that once the federal investigation is complete, and they see the good work that I've done since my mistake in the past, I'll be eligible for clearance but in order to get an MOS with secret clearance at the point where I am right now, I would have to go to boot camp with an open contract.
    I've scored a 99 on the ASVAB and at the my last IST, I did 11 pull-ups, ran a mile and a half in 9:23 and did 105 crunches in 2 minutes.
    Now there is a job I am eligible for, which is Aviation Mechanic that doesn't require clearance and myself and my Gunnery Sergeant are trying to lock me in for that MOS. Furthermore, I am one motivated SOB.

My question is, what are my chances that I'll get a job with secret security clearance if I were to go open contract?
    I'm aiming for something along the lines of Media Option or Electronics Repair.
    Or would I be better off locking in for a definite MOS before going to boot camp?

Either way, I'm going to be a Marine and I'm excited about it I just want to know if I'm putting my best foot forward and would like some wisdom from Marines who came before me.
    Thanks.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    get a definite MOS/field before you ship out to boot camp!!!

in my opinion, your chances of getting that clearance for whatever MOS right away is pretty slim...on an open contract you could end up doing something that you have absolutely not interest in

I'm sure you're aware, open contract means "I volunteer for any MOS the USMC sees fit to give me and I will not complain whatever it turns out to be". With that said, enjoy your career as a cook in the messhall. The bakers show up to make the biscuits and pastries every morning well before sunrise. Cooks work a rotating schedule 7 days a week, including weekends and holidays. Can't say you were not warned.

I love how every one hates on the cooks like its the worse MOS out there...My buddy was a cook and absolutely loved it haha.

Personally, I always had the greatest respect for cooks, liked their chow, and thanked them often (never hated on them). However, I don't believe enough people join the USMC to be a cook. So, many of them have open contracts.

hell a lot of them probably have good skills it isnt their fault that the USMC wants civillians doing most of the work in garrison, i hear quite a number of them actually get to go to cullinary school.

and heck if the OP wants to go open you do you boo boo, if it is what you want to go then by all means do it.

I agree - go for it. But, like I said, don't complain afterwards. Be careful what you ask for because you may just get it!

Saw (may have been here) a USMC MSgt is a chef at the White House. That would have to open some doors for anyone in the culinary field.

Thanks for the replies you guys. My recruiters have been telling me that with my scores, I'd get placed in a good job if I go in open but of course I take everything they say with a grain of salt.
    Right now what I'm seeing is an overwhelming majority recommending that I go in with a job locked in, bite the bullet for two years and try to get whatever job I want once I get security clearance and of course performing to the best of my ability for Corps & country.
    Does anyone here have experience on what it's like being an aviation mechanic though?

I was not an aviation mechanic. But, I did do two tours with the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing in Okinawa, Japan. My impression was, squadrons have goals of how many planes they need to keep in the air at any given time. Whenever they fell behind that goal, nobody left the flightline till the goal was reached. Meaning, it's not an 8-5, Monday thru Friday type job. You work on the plane you're assigned to till it's fixed and then you can go home.

My best friend was a helicopter engine mechanic. After he got out, he had no problems getting jobs with Bell and Hughes Helicopters in Texas. The Marine Corps is increasing its fleet of Ospreys meaning it will need more mechanics to maintain them. That would be a good platform to try and get into I think - the need is, and will continue to be, there.

BTW. Recruiters don't assign MOS's (that's done by personnel manpower folks at Headquarters, Marine Corps). Although one would think high scores should equate to a good job, the fact is, there is absolutely no guarantee of that happening. Just ask them to put that in writing on your open contract and then see what they say. They won't do it. So, that should tell you everything you need to know about high scores and open contracts.

Thread Information