What was your MOS, and did you like it?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

What was your MOS, and did you like it?

Hey Marines, so I'm 19 years old and am getting ready to enlist in the Marines. I've talked with my recruiter and filled out some documents already, and listed my 3 dream jobs that I want; Military Police, NBC, or Ordnance. The only problem is, that my dad wants me to focus on doing jobs that have high morale and transition well into the private sector. I would think the jobs I chose fall under that category already, but I would also like to hear from Marines what their job was and if they liked it. Thanks.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Excellent topic for a thread. You are asking about jobs that individual Marines had, not just what they would recommend for you. First, though, be sure you choose a job for YOU, not what your dad or anyone else wants for you, with all due respect to your father. But---in my "era", which seems just after the Civil War, we had ZERO choice of jobs, except Aviation Guaranteed. Classification tests in boot camp plus the ever present "needs of the Corps" determined what our MOS would be. It was given to us.

My MOS was the best job I ever had in my life, including my present one. It was 2571, now called 2621, Morse Code Intercept Operator, top secret clearance, SIGINT (Signals Intelligence)-----a 24 week Navy cryptology school, then on to a duty station. The people I was in with--we keep in touch weekly and all say it was the best job we ever had---all of us feel that way.

.. / .-- .- ... / .. -. - . .-.. .-.. .. --. . -. -.-. . / .- -. -.. / .. / .-.. .. -.- . -.. / .. - .-.-.-

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I see where there are spaces between letters and slashes between words, but can you put TWO spaces between individual letters instead of one space? I can only get "I was", and then the rest appears slurred, but it's not, I know...easier for me to have TWO spaces between letters, if you could re-do that.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    "I was in intelligence and I liked" but I can't get the last word.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    ah, the last "word" is aaa. "I was in intelligence and liked it. aaa"

Sorry, OP, we got carried away--this is what happens when you love your MOS.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    ah, the last "word" is aaa. "I was in intelligence and liked it. aaa"

Sorry, OP, we got carried away--this is what happens when you love your MOS.
    You did a great job. I know I like my job too. I really liked being around Marines too.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Thanks. I forgot that dit dah dit dah dit dah (aaa) is one way of indicating that the message is over with. and/or is a break between messages.

Oh good, another individual thinking of becoming an MP. It fills my heart with joy because I hardly ever see it on here. Well that should give you an indication of my MOS. Good ole 5811 Military Police. I love it and have loved it the past 6 years that I have been doing it. If you have any questions about it shoot me a PM or reply with any questions on here. I am in Korea so forgive if it takes time to reply

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    That's good that you responded. I assume his three listings are in order, and military police must be his first choice.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post

Excellent topic for a thread. *****Worn out
    question...tired subject too...and guess what...
    it isn't the first time asked....

You are asking about jobs that individual Marines had,
    not just what they would recommend for you.
    First, though, be sure you choose a job for YOU,
    not what your dad or anyone else wants for you,
    with all due respect to your father.

But---in my "era", which seems just after the Civil War,
    we had ZERO choice of jobs, except Aviation Guaranteed.

Classification tests in boot camp plus the ever present "needs of the Corps" determined what our MOS would be. It was given to us.

My MOS was the best job I ever had in my life, including my present one. It was 2571, now called 2621, Morse Code Intercept Operator, top secret clearance, SIGINT (Signals Intelligence)-----a 24 week Navy cryptology school, then on to a duty station. The people I was in with--we keep in touch weekly and all say it was the best job we ever had---all of us feel that way.
    * I crank a lot on this subject
    and Lazywannabe
    kids who don't have the brainpower to read
    past postings of people who have said it before..

240 years this November 10
    and we still get dummies asking the Marines to
    tell it to them....

I guess he just must be in a hurry though...

;;;;;;

Actually doing some research (before asking the question) takes valuable time away from their devices. Much easier and faster to just come here. Then, they can get back to tweeting, texting, Facebook, etc. The millennials don't have time for that researching thing. They have more important things to.

At least, he is very polite and does not appear to feel entitled in any way.

To answer the question some, NBC and ordnance do not translate to civilian jobs (unless you want to strap some explosives around your waist and blow yourself up). Stay with MP if that's your main goal. One can have high morale in any MOS as long as they enjoy it and find it challenging/rewarding and feel like they're making a difference and appreciated.

I was primarily in personnel/administration (but did other things as well) and liked it. It's a desk job obviously but has its benefits.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    He was asking what OUR MOSs were and whether WE liked them. I don't see how Google would help him very much. He wasn't asking us to describe other MOSs besides our own.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    """"but I would also like to hear from Marines what their job was and if they liked it. Thanks.""""

----this is the only part of his post where he asked for input from us. Everything preceding this sentence was general info only, by way of telling us, not asking us, about his situation.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Our apologies to the one who began this thread. We sometimes don't even read the questions fully, we have a knee jerk reaction to what we suppose was stated, when in fact it was something different. DI role playing is prevalent. lol

Thread Information