17 year old girl, want to be a Marine.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face 17 year old girl, want to be a Marine.

Hi, I really want to join the marines but I have a lot of questions. First off, can I go in with a GED? I've had really bad luck with school, starting with not having the resources to go and then just struggle piled on struggle over it, I'm just getting my GED to be done with it, and to move on to the next stage of my life. On the otherhand, I'm afraid that will prevent me from being where I want to be. I took a practice ASVAB, and I scored a 51, so, I know I could do better and plan to study a lot more.

I got a recruiters number today, and I know this is what I want to do, but I think the part that scares me is I don't know what's going to happen. It's kind of made me reluctant to talk to a recruiter but it needs to be done. I just kind of want to know what I'm getting myself into. haha. Either way, I'm more excited than nervous to start my life in this direction.

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Talk to a recruiter anyway. They know some people are nervous etc, they've heard everything. Their job is to talk with you.

Without a high school diploma you need a GED PLUS 15 hours college credits. Ask the recruiter about this.

Nobody knows exactly what's going to happen. And there's no need to figure out every detail in advance, when there are so many variables. But never hesitate to talk with a recruiter--keep us posted on this same thread as to how things turn out.

Thank you. I'm kinda sad I need 15 college credits because I have been so eager to join soon but gotta do what ya gotta do I suppose. I will keep it updated.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Yep---you should have been born years ago, because when I went in no one cared if you had graduated high school or not. I quit high school to join the USMC and got a GED while I was in, and even then, I was not required to---nowadays, there are so many applicants for so few slots, someday they'll probably require a Ph.D to get in, just kidding, maybe not.......good luck.....15 college credits is five courses, I believe, but run all this by your recruiter, just to get all the info you need besides this one area of information....and like I said, we like to see how things turn out, so resurrect this same thread and keep us updated....

Education is the key to success in any endeavor in life - even more so today. If it's not too late, you need to do everything possible to stay in school and graduate on time. Make it a priority in your daily life and a goal for your future. As difficult as it may be for you today, it will pay big dividends down the road and you'll be glad you stuck it out. We always tell every wannabe here that same thing...FINISH SCHOOL. You're only cheating your future if you don't.

There are female recruiters out there. If possible, you should seek one of them out as I'm sure you would feel more comfortable sharing your concerns with another female. Just be honest and don't be afraid to ask questions.

The first step is usually the hardest. But, like you said, it must be done if you ever want to get to where you want to go - nobody is going to take it for you. Good luck.

Are you in shape physically? You should go talk to the recruiter and take the ASVAB. If you can be ready to leave on a moments notice and open to any MOS you may be able to get by without the 15 credits. Go talk to a recruiter though.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    uh oh. We didn't know that, devil, we been telling folks about GED plus 15 hrs and so have 2 recruiters on this site, all this time we might be mistaken. Better talk to the recruiter after all, as he says.

Somebody dropped last minute and we had a guy that was in this situation. We called him Thursday and he ended up going that Sunday. Its possible and I am sure that being a female it may be harder to get replacements. It is just a suggestion, I am not promising anything but its possible.

Strange. I thought the college credits was a USMC policy, and not a last minute district, RS, or RSS call.

This is why the standard answer should always be "check with your local recruiter".

just because you are eager doesnt mean a damned thing. you dropped out of high school showing you arent dedicated to learning you are upset about having to get the credits required inorder to enlist showing more lack of dedication why is it again you want to join the Marine Corps so bad? Did you see a commercial that made you want to be one?

Many people want to be successful until they realise what it takes to actually be successful the Marine Corps takes a lot to be successful you get out of it what you put into it, and so far IMHO you show that you are willing to put almost nothing into it.

Actually, no, I didn't just drop out. My last few months my mom got into a car accident and broke her back and I had to take care of her, causing me to miss a lot, and being a senior it threw my school back very far (it was already thrown back, for reasons not needed to speak of when I first began HS. A lot of running from place to place was involved). I was not just unwilling and lazy, my entire education was thrown through a loop many times but that's never stopped me from educating MYSELF. I am not a stupid girl, I am actually quite smart. I am not upset about possibly needing credits, once I got into the Marines I was going to start college anyway, I was just eager to start soon because it's what I want to do, not because I'm not willing to do the work. I actually plan to major in Psychology, which I already study regularly on my own. I want to join because it will build my character in ways I can't do alone. I have always been a huge pushover, and have never been the best socially, I want to be a new person. I want to be the best of the best. A lot of people in my family have been Marines. I am aware it's going to take a lot to earn that title, but once I finally have it I will know I can do anything. So, I am sorry that you feel I'm some ignorant sap who only wants to do this because I "saw a commercial", but you are very wrong.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrie Wight View Post
    Actually, no, I didn't just drop out. My last few months my mom got into a car accident and broke her back and I had to take care of her, causing me to miss a lot, and being a senior it threw my school back very far (it was already thrown back, for reasons not needed to speak of when I first began HS. A lot of running from place to place was involved). I was not just unwilling and lazy, my entire education was thrown through a loop many times but that's never stopped me from educating MYSELF. I am not a stupid girl, I am actually quite smart. I am not upset about possibly needing credits, once I got into the Marines I was going to start college anyway, I was just eager to start soon because it's what I want to do, not because I'm not willing to do the work. I actually plan to major in Psychology, which I already study regularly on my own. I want to join because it will build my character in ways I can't do alone. I have always been a huge pushover, and have never been the best socially, I want to be a new person. I want to be the best of the best. A lot of people in my family have been Marines. I am aware it's going to take a lot to earn that title, but once I finally have it I will know I can do anything. So, I am sorry that you feel I'm some ignorant sap who only wants to do this because I "saw a commercial", but you are very wrong.
    you need to understand where most of us are coming from. every day we see Marines that joined as "a way out" or "to better themselves" when they can't hack it in civilian life....the problem is the Marine Corps is NOT "a way out" or a way to "better yourself" if you can't put in the work to get what you want. I completely understand circumstances(your mom breaking her back) arise that set people back but using that as an excuse is falling on deaf ears here....I know this will not be a popular viewpoint with you but your mother breaking her back sounds like it was just the excuse you were looking for to quit school.

Just my honest opinion from the outside....prove me wrong

I wasn't looking to quit and I'm doing the best I can to find alternatives to get those credits as a last shot, I put a lot of time and effort into it and I never completely quit trying, I have been thinking a lot this last month and decided to put more into it and give it one last shot. I will prove you wrong, and I'll prove him wrong too. I appreciate your opinion, though. Thank you for your input.

Did you talk to a recruiter and take the ASVAB yet?

I wasnt even trying to insult your intelligence when you only tell half a story you get an answer based on all of what you told at that moment. There are a lot of people who come on here wanting to take the easy route not saying that you are after you added more to the story just remember there is no easy way out in the Marine Corps.

Thread Information