2nd Division Mortar Leaders course, 1980s
Create Post

2nd Division Mortar Leaders course, 1980s

Hello, I've joined this page to ask for information about the old 2nd Division Mortar Leader course. In 1982 I was a Seabee, SW3(E-4), in Headquarters Company NMCB-5. The bad part was I was in the Battalion staff, the good part was that HQ Co has the weapons platoon for the Bn. My combat post was as a gunner for a 60mm mortar team. Yes, Seabees had mortars, but not big ones. That was a E-5's slot and the only thing I liked about HQ Co. I got promotion orders for SW2 for March of 83, and was told I would be the Mortar section PO, a E-6 slot. Our Master Gunny made some calls and got me into the 2nd Division Mortar Leaders course at Camp Geiger, NC. Great course, we learned team procedures, FDC tasks, the plotting board, FO tasks, Weapons platoon in offense/defense. I learned more mortar and small unit tactics/leadership in a few weeks than I had in 3 years in the Navy. I got to gire the 81mm and we had some NC Guard 11C who brought their own 4.2("just say no to heavy base plates and barrels" Gunny Don Thompson) which we all got to fire, i guess bringing enough 4.2 ammo for everyone was their price of admission. A tough, great experience. The Seabees lost their motars in 94 in exchange for more AT4s and then Mk19s.
    I left the Navy in 88, in 95 I joined the Texas Guard and almost every military situation I've been in since I apply the things I learned in North Carolina in 83. Things came full circle when I deployed to OIF 2-3 with a Sapper Det in support of 7th Marines.

Unfortunately I came home with 100% hearing loss from a IED, and retirement complete with signed divorce papers on the kitchen counter of my 100% empty house.
    The Ex through out everything, and its been a decade, but I've been reassembling my military history for my sons one AD Soldier & one AD Marine. I like to have my Certificate from the Mortar Leaders course. I've been to St Louis, Ft Knox, and Gulfport. Does Camp Lejune have a records depository that might have 32 year old class rosters, etc,?