Need PSR help. Reenlistment / obligations?
Create Post

Need PSR help. Reenlistment / obligations?

I am seeking some advice from anyone who may be able to give some solid guidance on this.

Recently I have been given a great job/career opportunity, however it's in another state approximately 750 miles away from my current unit. When I spoke with my 1sgt about it she over reacted something along the lines of "OH jeez, Well you have a bic number here! You still have to drill here! You're obligated!" and later I spoke with the CO, who seemed very non nonchalant about it saying "oh that's really far away, you need to make sure you speak with a prior service recruiter to see what options you have."

After that whole deal there at drill I later contacted a prior service recruiter(PSR) in Marietta, GA. I spoke with him explaining the situation and asked what my options were, He asked for my social and then told me there was only 1 unit in the area where I'm going and it's a grunt unit. (I'm not a grunt. was 0481 for first contract and now 1316)

He basically told me I could either retrain into 0311, or I could drop into the IRR until the remainder of my contract.

I reenlisted Oct 31, 2013. My contract is until Oct 30, 2017. When I reenlisted I lat moved from 0481(cargo handler/landing support) to 1316(metal worker/welder) Also I was not given a bonus of any kind.

I even asked the PSR in Marietta if IRR was an option even though I lat moved and was sent to MOS school? He said I could and would just have to get my unit to do my check out paperwork. Mainly because I don't want to go back to MOS school as a SGT (again)

So after speaking with the PSR, I spoke with my SSGT about it and explained what I was told by PSR. He shortly got back to me asking if I had any paperwork supporting what the PSR told me because 1sgt said I couldn't do that because I was obligated due to the fact I went to MOS school.

Now, since you have the background. I was wondering what my options really are and if I really am obligated. I keep hearing different things.