Mos Help/ MARSOC/ FBI/ US Marshals/ CIA
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Mos Help/ MARSOC/ FBI/ US Marshals/ CIA

Hello all thank you for your service. This is my first post and I've done some researching, talking to recruiters, and even an active duty marine. I scored a 72 on my asvab and my recruiter mentioned an intelligence now. I told him I was interested in joining MARSOC after I receive e-4. Anybody have first hand experience with MARSOC and know what it's like and what they do especially now since we are in peace time? Also what mos would benefit me the most for a potential career in the FBI/ Us Marshalls/ CIA. Thx for the help. Also wanted to state I'm about to join the delayed entry program and I'm currently a junior in high school.

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    People will most likely be along with info for you, notably three people who are IN the USMC presently. josephd, munkyvsrobot, LCPL1341

Just something I heard from alot of veteran friends of mine; the 3 letter intelligence agencies (like the CIA) prefer the fresh out of college, ivy league types over military veterans; especially the CIA. I don't know why this is; just some stuff many of my vet buddies told me.

I cant tell you what MARSOC is like or what they really do since Im not a member of MARSOC; someone else might be able to help you out with this.

As far as MOS options in relation to federal law enforcement jobs go; if you serve, and get out honorably (honorable discharge), you should be able to get veterans preference employment within federal agencies assuming you qualify otherwise. This means that your MOS is not really a major factor as long as you served and did so honorably.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you so much. I appreciate it.

to caveat off what LCPL said a lot of times too it is who you know not what you know. No military job or background guarantees you anything doesnt deny you from service either but just because you were MARSOC doesnt mean they will want you anymore than someone who did something else, hell may be they wouldnt even want you because you could possibly have bad habits that need to be broken...

Also in regards to what you said about receiving e-4, lets get this straight you do not receive e-4 you do not pick up rank you pick up trash each and every promotion you earn it, nothing is given and nothing is free. Sure everyone believes that e-1 though 3 are gimmes and they can be if you dont screw up but you can be NON-rec at anytime.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Munky.

I was not MARSOC either (it's an extremely tiny community in the USMC but growing and that will continue with the new commandant). MARSOC has their own webpage (with eligibility criteria, training synopsis, etc.). You can GOOGLE it and take a look. Unless you are a STRONG swimmer, don't even consider it.

Having worked on a university campus, I can tell you, the Federal agencies you mentioned recruit heavily there. Saw them routinely represented at job fairs. My opinion is, you would stand a better chance getting a job with them by graduating from college (then, they will train you in the specialty they require). In addition, having worked at a joint intelligence center, I know the majority of the civilian contractors there are former military intel types. Also got a glimpse of some spooks (CIA) and DEA agents on embassy duty. Most former military with the CIA are communicators with special security clearances. So:

FBI/US Marshall/DEA: military police since these are law enforcement agencies

CIA: communications (intel if you're looking to be a spook/spy)

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Tennessee I appreciate it. Ive been reading a lot of articles, and informing websites. I've also been looking at Force Recon. Appreciate all the help.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Get MARSOC and Force Recon out of your head...you will not be eligible for those until you have completed an initial enlistment and are at least a Cpl/E-4.

I know a few guys with MARSOC but for OPSEC purposes cannot tell you what they are doing and where they are operating.

And like a few already pointed out, all of the 3-letter agencies recruit heavily from college campuses, not from military. Being prior service can help in the selection process but unless you have a college degree you will not be eligible.

Thread Information