Help with MOS
Create Post

Thread: Help with MOS

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Post Help with MOS

I recently, in the last two months, took interest once again into becoming a Marine. I planned to join out of High school, but decided to give college a try. I have been talking to a recruiter and have done everything besides going to MEPS. This is due to having a waiting period on receiving medical records because of having surgery on my elbow when I was twelve. Luckily, this will have no effect on my enlistment due to having full range of motion and no extra parts. I took my ASVAB last Wednesday, 15th. Scores are as followed:
    AFQT: 91
    MM: 116
    GT: 117
    EL: 121
    CL:126
    I have been told by my recruiter that I qualify for every job in the Marines. Though my first reaction was "AWESOME" I am now completely at a loss of what I want to do. I have done research on each MOS and have still come up empty. I believe I can achieve anything I set my mind to, but what can I set my head to at the age of 21? I have successfully completed 2 years of college at Drury University with a 3.46 GPA in Business Marketing.
    Enough of the back story, I have no idea what I want to do in the Marines. My heart has always been in 0300, but I have been recently contemplating 3500, 6300, 7300. Honestly, at this point I just want to be a Marine. I don't care what I do because everything is important in it's own way.
    Is there any insight into my situation as to why you went a certain MOS or what MOS you might recommend and why? Two years into college and all I want to do is be a Marine.
    Yes, I have contemplated the Officer side and I just want to get the hell out of dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by ahemingway View Post
    Honestly, at this point I just want to be a Marine. I don't care what I do because everything is important in it's own way.
    Is there any insight into my situation as to why you went a certain MOS or what MOS you might recommend and why? Two years into college and all I want to do is be a Marine.
    If you are really sincere with that approach you should excel at any MOS.
    It has to be in your heart that earning the EGA is paramount....all else is secondary.

Note that many of us here are from a much different era of conflicts and we never thought about having any sort of MOS choice.
    That concept is still strange for me to reconcile.

We saw the recruiter, signed the papers, took the oath and accepted the MOS that was assigned to us based on the the needs of The Corps.

Me...I was lucky and got to serve in the way I'd always envisioned.

So...I'll wish you luck and maybe others can chime in.

Carry on...

this question gets asked so many times its almost on par with how do i become a scout sniper. The choice is yours go read through this section of the forum and look at what other people got for responses. if you want any of those fields you mentioned look into each of thos fields and come up with your own reason why you would like them, it isnt me who is serving your time.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    As Wayne (Chulaivet1966) said, a lot of us are from an era where NO choice of MOS was given, except "Aviation Guaranteed". Classification Tests at boot camp, plus the needs of the Corps, determined what MOS we were handed.....one "problem" with your situation is this: You would have no real idea (and no way of finding out) about just how these MOSs would be, in real life. Except for reading about them. You might end up loving a job you thought you might hate. Example, my MOS. Where do you think I ever heard of a 2571 (now 2621) Morse Code Intercept Operator, top secret clearance, SIGINT (Signals Intelligence)?????
    I had no idea about it. I was given that MOS---and, here's my point---It was the best job I ever had in my life, no exceptions, including my present one.

Look over all available MOSs and make a decision. And don't rely on opinions about a job---one guy will hate it and another loves it----no matter what job you get, you will be a Marine, and will make lifelong friends.....just do the best you can in picking a job field as far as evaluating if you think you'd like it.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    (I tell a lot of people this, because I'm curious as to how these things turn out in Ask A Marine---keep us updated on this same thread, re what you chose etc---good luck to you.)

Most people are looking for a MOS that translates to a civilian job after they get out. If that is not a consideration, then make it simple on yourself and just stay with what your heart has always wanted and become a grunt.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I appreciate the information given from the five replies, which all say about the same thing. I think it is important to pick an MOS that I would enjoy, but I am still conflicted for the fact that I enjoy to do so many things. The facts are that until October I can not enlist in most of these positions. I can ship in June for 0300, which is probably what I want to do. I have always been conflicted in the fact that I do not go with what my heart tells me, but rather what makes the most rational sense. By saying this Infantry does not translate to many civilian jobs, which is the key reason I want to look else where. Though my hopes are to make a career out of the marines I have to look into the larger picture and understand that it could very possibly not happen. Hell, I haven't completed basic.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Careers are not automatic like they were in my era, where all you had to do was stay out of trouble and you could stay in for 20 years, no problem. Nowadays no one is guaranteed staying in until retirement: that's my impression, anyway.

What your heart tells you vs rationality----in quite a few cases the result will be the same, i.e. what your heart tells you to do is usually very reliable---none of us can help you choose what YOU want to do.

Thread Information