tips for maintaining leadership in basic - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It is true what you accomplish in bootcamp doesn't really mean much afterwards and nobody is going to care if you were a guide, squadleader, scribe, platoon artist, house mouse, or whatever.

But, coming out a meritorious Lance Corporal, if that's accomplished, IS a big step and puts one well ahead of their peers (about two years, on average, in most cases).

And, there is certainly nothing wrong with setting high goals for oneself. I took my niece to PI during her senior year in highschool so she could see Family Day and graduation and get a feel for the island before landing on the yellow footprints for real. She saw the platoon guides and the boot Marines with their PFC stripes and told me "I want to do that too". And...she did. The reviewing official for her graduation was a female SgtMaj. When the announcer read her USMC bio, it said her first 4 promotions were all meritorious. My niece said "I want to do that too". She made meritorious PFC out of bootcamp and meritorious LCpl out of MOS school. Her battalion is putting her up for meritorious Cpl as soon as her PME is up to date (she is working on her gray MCMAP belt now). Sounds to me like, the OP's goals are similar to what my niece's were. She didn't have any leadership experience either but that never stopped her. I'm willing to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. Let's see what he can do.

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    It wasn't the goals by themselves, it was the almost fanatic view of them, and not even about becoming a leader but about maintaining it, as if it were a given that he would be a leader in the first place. No need to be so set on goals that you forget that you may not even make it through boot camp.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I appreciate OP's question but to be completely honest I would concern myself with any sort of leadership capabilities in boot camp. It's not like you really get to exercise your any sort of leadership anyway. And like it was already pointed out, any sort of leadership billet you hold while at boot, SOI, or the school house doesn't really matter.

In my experience the guys who were given leadership too soon were not good leaders later on as Cpls and Sgts and vice-versa....guys who kinda flew under the radar in their first year or two became great leaders as NCO's because they learned by observation and soaking in the good, weeding out the bad.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Joe, I saw it as misdirected ambition. There are other more important things to be ambitious about, other than a fleeting moment of glory as a guide or scribe or whatever, here today gone tomorrow type of boot camp honor.

You have a good point Joe. My DI's didn't even know my name and I never aspired to be up front of the platoon in bootcamp. But, after years of honing my leadership skills and soaking up the good while weeding out the bad, I was graduating honor grad out of a formal school and being awarded the Meritorious Service Medal for leading the best MSG Detachment on the program in 1988 (as a GySgt).

Just to add to this. Recruit training is the easiest part of the military. You don't have to think much, everything is planned out for you and its the fastest 3 months ever. The best thing you can do is to listen. You are going to encounter some good leaders and some bad ones. Take what you can and learn from both.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    You have a good point Joe. My DI's didn't even know my name and I never aspired to be up front of the platoon in bootcamp. But, after years of honing my leadership skills and soaking up the good while weeding out the bad, I was graduating honor grad out of a formal school and being awarded the Meritorious Service Medal for leading the best MSG Detachment on the program in 1988 (as a GySgt).
    exactly!....I fall into this too, as a PFC/Lance I was borderline labeled as a "turd" because I flew under the radar, was quiet, and kinda skated by. Upon coming home from deployment I picked up Cpl and Sgt soon after....I had gathered all the knowledge I needed to become an exceptional NCO(soon SNCO). Not trying to toot my own horn here but in the last 3 years of being an NCO I have 2 meritorious masts, 2 certificates of commendation, honor grad at Corporals Course, waiting on a NAM to be approved, and a stellar fit-rep.

I also never aspired to be anything great, I just do what needs to be done and in a timely manner. I thought for sure I was going to get out last year, but here I am re-enlisted.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    I appreciate OP's question but to be completely honest I would concern myself with any sort of leadership capabilities in boot camp. It's not like you really get to exercise your any sort of leadership anyway. And like it was already pointed out, any sort of leadership billet you hold while at boot, SOI, or the school house doesn't really matter.

In my experience the guys who were given leadership too soon were not good leaders later on as Cpls and Sgts and vice-versa....guys who kinda flew under the radar in their first year or two became great leaders as NCO's because they learned by observation and soaking in the good, weeding out the bad.
    Great advice in this post I would totally agree with this whole post.

Being a leader out in the OPFOR where it really matters and is important is better than leading a bunch of blind lemmings.

Just be ready when and if you graduate boot camp leadership respinsibilities come quicker than you thank. After I got promoted to CPL I had to take over as SNCOIC of my plt for a few months as my SNCOIC was TAD for a few months talk about diving in and swimming.

Thank you for all the replies marines! If i might clarify; my ambition isnt to be guide because i want bragging rights, or to order people around. My ambition for that position (well i guess honorman now?) is simply for the benefits that may bring later. Graduating 2 years ahead of the standard progression is the real goal, but it's my understanding that maintaining leadership is the best way to do that? I assumed bootcamp positions didnt mean much later on ha.
    Tennessee Top: I also just want to say that is a great story about your niece, I can only hope to have half that dedication and success when i make the attempt. Thank you for the benefit of the doubt, and for the extra motivation.
    USMC2571: Im glad i didnt come off too badly, i probably should have clarified a few of those things first, but thank you for not coming down too harshly!

Again, thank you for all the replies! They've helped even more than i was expecting, and im honored to receive the advice. I'll keep the thread posted every now and then until i leave, and hopefully i'll be back as a Marine in late august!

Some may not agree (based on their personal experiences). But, from my experience, and my niece agrees with me, the Marine Corps DOES reward superior performance. Notice I didn't just say hard work. You can bust your hump all day every day but unless you're producing results, it'll mostly go unnoticed and unappreciated. Platoon honorman is attained through superior performance, as is, being meritoriously promoted to the next rank (not just hard work alone).

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good points, Top, as always.

OP, keep us updated.

Thread Information