Poole Wannabe asks...
Create Post

Poole Wannabe asks...

My Marine friend gave me this advice, "wait to enlist after October, it's when jobs open up"
    Now, I trust his advice, just want to hear how some others feel about this. I'm aiming for combat engineer or 1812 (Abrams tank crewmen) since I'm fascinated with tanks and would love to be apart of the world's best tank crew. I also love to blow stuff up and either of these fits the bill.
    Now, as for being on a tank crew, my marine friend told me to go army, would increase my chances, and I understand, but since high school (class of 2013) I've told people that I am going Marine Corps, and this close to going, I'm not about to 'puss' out and go army. Now don't get me wrong, I still respect Army's service members

Should I wait till October or go ASAP? I still have to wait till June because of adderall, and early summer for braces.

Thanks! This is my first one so go easy okay? Haha

Similar Threads:

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    The military fiscal year is October to October....so there maybe...or may not be the available MOS that you want. Talk to a recruiter and get the available list o MOS's for now and seek their advice.....for October.

Going ASAP..... you still have to DEP and stay in there for awhile.....again ....belay the friend and see a recruiter.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good advice from Chuck, as always......wait also for munkyvsrobot and lcpl and josephd to come here and give you good suggestions, opinions, advice, tips, all very helpful people. Good luck to you.

Go now. You will get a better answer from the recruiter plus there are slots that open when people don't ship and other circumstances.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! Will talk to a recruiter
    Just have to get these pesky braces off!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Keep us updated on this same thread---good luck to you.

The adderall (ADHD drug) is going to be a problem. Be sure to divulge everything to the recruiter. Let us know how it goes and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    The adderall (ADHD drug) is going to be a problem. Be sure to divulge everything to the recruiter. Let us know how it goes and good luck.
    yeah honestly I regret telling him that when I first went back in June 2013. I would have been a Marine by now and half way into my contract.

One of our 14 leadership traits is integrity. Means always doing the right thing (like being truthful) even when it's not the popular thing to do or nobody is looking. You did the right thing. We don't need anybody in our gun club with no integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    One of our 14 leadership traits is integrity. Means always doing the right thing (like being truthful) even when it's not the popular thing to do or nobody is looking. You did the right thing. We don't need anybody in our gun club with no integrity.
    True, and I completely agree. But if I really held that bit of information would it really matter down the road? I doubt it. Two years wasted because of a stupid medicine that completely leaves the body after 6 weeks is ridiculous.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaSpud View Post
    True, and I completely agree. But if I really held that bit of information would it really matter down the road? I doubt it. Two years wasted because of a stupid medicine that completely leaves the body after 6 weeks is ridiculous.
    what you deem ridiculous is for good reason within the Corps/military. I am not going to even begin to explain it to you as you are not able to see the big picture.(not a knock on you at all, just a simple truth)

And Yes!...it does matter down the road. If something were to happen where your ADHD we're to rear it's ugly head you would get kicked out for fraudulent enlistment, good luck ever getting a job with a other than honorable or dishonorable discharge. having what you consider to be a minor issue can become a VERY LARGE issue of you were ever stressed out in a combat zone.

I'm a little late to this post, but I am currently a 1371 Combat Engineer. I can tell you that your job won't just be blowing things up. It's all dependent on what type of unit you end up in. If you're in a CAB or CEB then you'll get your fix, an ESB will provide you with some experience in demolition, but if you end up in a bridging company or C-shop within any of these you won't be popping smoke for long periods of time. Last of all, if you end up in a CLB, you may never see demo again. Of course, the leadership in every one of these units will play a large roll in deciding what you do. If the powers that be decide you need to know how to blow things up even though your entire purpose in life is to build tables and paint beautiful yellow lines, you'll blow stuff up. Don't let that totally shut you down though, that being said. "Best job I ever had."

Correction on fiscal year. It's October 1 thru September 30, not October to October. This applies to all federal entities. Recruitment goals are set Q3 and certainly no later than Q4.

s/f

Thread Information