Is MARPAT OK for camping/hiking?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is MARPAT OK for camping/hiking?

Dear Marines,

First I'd like those who have served our country and has made an ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. Words can't express the gratitude that I have for you all.

A few days ago I went hiking up in the mountains of Big Sur, California, and while I was there, I saw a couple of men wearing Desert MARPAT. There was no indication that they were Marines, such as any patches or a rank. If they were civilians, would this be OK to wear on Camping or Hiking trips?

Thanks Marines,
    ​Gavin

Similar Threads:

Yes it would be okay, unless they were Marines then no.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    even if they were Marines......who cares

Well, if they were Marines, and they were wearing the current issue cammies, then that would be an issue. AFAIK the utility uniform is still not authorized for leave/liberty wear. I still get thrown all the time when I see Marines (or soldiers, sailors, etc.) wearing cammies off base - on travel, for instance.

When I was in, you could wear your cammies commuting to and from base, and for brief emergency stops on the way. Otherwise, they were a work uniform. Things have obviously changed.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I wear my salty worn out trousers that I wore on deployment out camping and to go shooting all the time....as long as you aren't wearing them out in public and making a scene it's a non-issue

That's about what I figured - and I like the change. The old thinking about what's ok to wear and what's not was, well... old. I wouldn't want to see someone wearing Charlies out in the woods or something, but utilities? What you said, Joe.

I was a peacetime stinkin' Reservist, back in the 80s, so we had a lot of BS rules and regs that I've seen get tossed out over the last decade+ with real shooting wars going on. I approve of the changes, for what that's worth. You young guys now are doing what Marines are supposed to do - fighting.

I'm sure there's still plenty of bullchit and politics, but it seems like less than when I was in uniform.

Semper fi!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madsox View Post
    That's about what I figured - and I like the change. The old thinking about what's ok to wear and what's not was, well... old. I wouldn't want to see someone wearing Charlies out in the woods or something, but utilities? What you said, Joe.

I was a peacetime stinkin' Reservist, back in the 80s, so we had a lot of BS rules and regs that I've seen get tossed out over the last decade+ with real shooting wars going on. I approve of the changes, for what that's worth. You young guys now are doing what Marines are supposed to do - fighting.

I'm sure there's still plenty of bullchit and politics, but it seems like less than when I was in uniform.

Semper fi!
    :handshake:

I'll admit I am the first one to lose my mind and correct a Marine if they are out in public(grocery store, mall, whatever the case..)because it is unacceptable... but out in the woods hiking, camping, shooting, etc..??...No, I do it so how can I correct someone else and say it's unauthorized(yes, I know that it is).

I've busted a few Marines at the gas station outside of base buying dip, cigarettes, soda, etc...civilians inside the gas station thought I was crazy and about to kill a few guys with how I was yelling(I am usually a pretty mellow/quiet person but this kind of crap drives me insane cuz they know better).

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Agreed, Joe, that way out in the wilderness-----no problem.

I've often thought of putting on a set of Herringbone Utilities and walking around Jacksonville. Everyone would notice, but wouldn't know what they were, and no one would say anything.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Herringbone utilities were just being phased out when I was at Camp Lejeune 1964 to 1965. No longer issued at that time, only the old salts wore them then.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    And, going back to the original post, if someone was hiking ten miles out in the wilderness, I personally would not care at all if they wore full dress blues.

Why should we care what others do miles from civilization?

I'd worry about somebody 10 miles out in the boonies wearing blues - that would call for a psych eval in my book!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Yeah, Andy, you got a point there, no doubt about it. LOL

I believe as long as you are not wearing rank and or name tapes you are good. Besides if they are no longer Marines who is going to say anything? If I am no longer a marine and I decide i want to wear my utilities with no nametapes hunting or hiking then I am going to, I am no longer subject to the UCMJ.

Thread Information