Will MARSOC ever have its own air element?
Create Post

Will MARSOC ever have its own air element?

I feel like MARSOC is growing in capacity, to the point where I believe MARSOC should create their own air element. They have the capability and equipment as they have the MV-22 Osprey and other great helicopters as well. As an aspiring Marine Pilot, I always question if MARSOC will ever have their own element?

Do you believe MARSOC will ever have its own air element and if so, when do you believe it will be formed?

I think this is an idea the corps leadership should really take into consideration.

thanks for your time

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    No......and why should it?

Air assets exist solely to support ground troops....any ground troops. Designating air specifically to MARSOC is not only a waste of the Corps' assets but also a waste of $$$

MARSOC in itself is already a VERY small community and it is supposed to be that way...adding it's own air asset would take away from what MARSOC is

This is an idea the Corps' leadership should NOT take into consideration, with budget cuts and risk of sequestration the higher brass have bigger and better responsibilities than discussing implementation of an air element getting included in MARSOC. And to think that you know better than our Generals and higher enlisted that make decisions like this is slightly disrespectful IMO

Probably not, but in the grand scheme of things does that really have anything to do with anything?

Can I be first in line to go to the Basic Reconnaisance Flight School they'll inevitably open up?

By aspiring, are you saying that you are in the pipeline already?

Lol....someone doesn't understand the concept of a MAGTF. You're drunk OP; go home.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCPL1341 View Post
    Lol....someone doesn't understand the concept of a MAGTF. You're drunk OP; go home.
    hahahahaha this....I wasn't about to begin to explain that (MARSOC doesn't really operate under a MAGTF though)

I didn't know that ^^ lol. Thank you for the info Sgt!

I understand the OP's basic premise.

An example is the deaths of the 7 Camp LeJeune Marine Raiders off the coast of FL. The chopper pilots were Army reservists from LA. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that but I think that's what I read.

The old adage "you fight like you train" applies. When a MEU deploys, they train and fight with the air squadron assigned to that MEU. Why can't MARSOC do the same thing? Seems to me, the pilots would be a lot more proficient supporting the MARSOC missions if that's what they trained for exclusively instead of an "as needed" basis.

I do understand the issue of taking air assets out of the Fleet Marine Forces and having to replace them accordingly and the financial burdens associated with that.

Somebody tell me where I'm going wrong.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    I understand the OP's basic premise.

An example is the deaths of the 7 Camp LeJeune Marine Raiders off the coast of FL. The chopper pilots were Army reservists from LA. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that but I think that's what I read.

The old adage "you fight like you train" applies. When a MEU deploys, they train and fight with the air squadron assigned to that MEU. Why can't MARSOC do the same thing? Seems to me, the pilots would be a lot more proficient supporting the MARSOC missions if that's what they trained for exclusively instead of an "as needed" basis.

I do understand the issue of taking air assets out of the Fleet Marine Forces and having to replace them accordingly and the financial burdens associated with that.

Somebody tell me where I'm going wrong.
    they kind of already do it that way Top....MARSOC falls under SOCOM which has all their own air assets already. Why waste the conventional Corps' time, money, resources, etc. that all fall under a MAGTF/MEF on something that is already allocated their own??

Since that's the case. Then, the OP's question has been answered. MARSOC already has its own air element. Problem solved. And, our leadership handled it already.

Still don't like the system of utilizing reserve pilots though. We see where that got us.
    Could the same accident happen to an active duty pilot? Probably, but we'll never hear the results of the accident investigation.

Thread Information