What are my odds of becoming a designated marksman?
Create Post

What are my odds of becoming a designated marksman?

Hi. I have searched this sight and the latest info I could find was from 2006 and wasn't very helpful. I'm a poolee and I've obtained a security forces UV contract. I am going to try and get into F.A.S.T. I don't want to sound like a weird ass kid or anything but I've always had this thing where I want to be firing through a scope.(one of the recruiters in our office made a joke calling me weird because killing through a scope is I guess "personal"). That aside. I know it's already hard enough to become a part of F.A.S.T, but what is my absolute BEST chance of becoming a DM other than having a very good rifle score? Thanks in advance Marines.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If the unit you go to needs a DM, you have the score for it, and you'll probably need to be a 300 PFT/CFTr

There really isn't anything beyond that you can do. The DM we had with us was a high expert shooter and they sent him to a DM course. He was a PT god also.

Its bout .350%

concentrate of becoming a Marine first, and while in Boot Camp absorb all you can from you PMI, and then your Marksmanship Instructor.. as a former Marksmanship Instructor, I found that the biggest problem with Recruits is the failure of spot memorization with the rifle, IE they would change the spot where their cheek would land on the rifle, (makes a big difference) and where the rifle would be in the forward stabilizing hand (ether right or left) and where the elbow would hits on the deck, it is very, very, very, very, important that you use the exact same spot on all points every time..
    also I found it easier with my shooters that may have trouble with the 6 o'clock line of sight to switch them to half mast,.

all will be explained to you at the rifle range, and it will be up to you to do the rest..

best of luck to you keep us posted..

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    I found that the biggest problem with Recruits is the failure of spot memorization with the rifle, IE they would change the spot where their cheek would land on the rifle, (makes a big difference) and where the rifle would be in the forward stabilizing hand (ether right or left) and where the elbow would hits on the deck, it is very, very, very, very, important that you use the exact same spot on all points every time..
    also I found it easier with my shooters that may have trouble with the 6 o'clock line of sight to switch them to half mast
    not anymore with the use of the RCO, you don't use 2 points of aim.

The point still stands for OP though, worry about learning the proper fundamentals of marksmanship and get through boot camp...you can worry about being a DM once you hit the fleet and shoot range again

Is this a back door scout sniper question? It feels like it. Im guessing if you are to be a DM someone will inform you as to such. My suggestion, more over the pft cft and graduate boot camp which are feats in and of themselves.. put your intentions out there and your name as well. A lot of times it is who you know and who knows you and who knows what you would like to do. Now dont get annoying with it because your NCO's will hate that as well as your peers.

Much appreciated. I'm sure it's annoying answering questions like this to someone who hasn't completed Boot, but I now already have a leg up. ��

Thread Information