Body Weight/Height Waiver
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Body Weight/Height Waiver

I am a college junior, 5'10 250lbs around 20% body fat and after recently speaking with my OSO I found out that for my height I need to be around under 192 lbs to meet basic qualifications. I wanted to do PLC this summer but there's clearly not enough time to lose that weight healthily.

I play fullback for my college football team so I'm in good shape. My question is after completion of OCS and TBS will I have to stay under 192 for the entirety. My father has done over 20 years in the Air Force and is much heavier than when he started but I didn't know how that worked with the Marines.

I will lose the 60lbs in the year that I have to prepare. If I wanted an easy route I wouldn't be pursuing a career as a Marine Officer. Just want to know what flexibility I will have after basic training. Thanks for any info that you guys can give me.

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No flexibility. You would have to maintain your weight at 192 or less. The Air Force is a poor comparison vis-a-vis the Marine Corps when it comes to weight control (and many other things).

Being in shape is a relative term sure you are in shape to play football but this is something it took me a while to understand and i still dont even follow it to a T. The Marine Corps does not care how much you can lift they only care about how fast you can run 3 miles how many crunches you can do in 2 minutes and how many pull ups can you do.

that being said 60 lbs they probably wont even consider a waiver I dont know if they will even be willing to do tape on you. Check with your OSO maybe they will tape you and if you can get under 18% but chances are they will want you under that weight.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    Being in shape is a relative term sure you are in shape to play football but this is something it took me a while to understand and i still dont even follow it to a T. The Marine Corps does not care how much you can lift they only care about how fast you can run 3 miles how many crunches you can do in 2 minutes and how many pull ups can you do.

that being said 60 lbs they probably wont even consider a waiver I dont know if they will even be willing to do tape on you. Check with your OSO maybe they will tape you and if you can get under 18% but chances are they will want you under that weight.
    they won't tape for OCS/PLC

OP even if you claim to be in "good shape" and if they contracted you to go to OCS(not gonna happen), at your weight you will be broken off extremely fast at OCS. Being in good shape for football and getting through OCS are completely different, I am not going to get into comparisons here but trust me when I say that at your height/weight you are either going to DOR or hurt yourself if you go to OCS.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    And yes you will have to maintain that height/weight standard throughout your career as a Marine

The USMC makes concessions for age when it comes to the physical fitness test (PFT) but not height/weight. Not sure if the same thing is true for the Combat Fitness Test (CFT). Never ran one (and I'm glad).

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    The only other Marine Corps program that I know of that does make concessions to weight and height are the Body Bearers at 8th & I at the Marines Barracks Washington ,DC......I had a Marine years ago in my platoon that did that and was sent back to the infantry after his tour and he could not get his weight in the standards for everybody else in the Marine Corps height and weight standards....even though he was solid muscle and he did pass everything physically....he was still put on remedial PT and eventually discharged because of weight issues.

Marine Corps Body Bearers

June 29th, 2010 By Cpl. Scott Schmidt
    Lance Cpl. Bradley Young, a Marine Corps body bearer, finishes folding a funeral flag during a practice funeral Nov. 25. Body bearers carry the remains of fallen Marines to their final resting place in Arlington and surrounding cemeteries in the National Capital Region.

WASHINGTON – It’s an iconic scene: Six men stand together halfway around the world from home and raise a flag on top of Mount Suribachi. When the men returned home, their story of valor on Iwo Jima lifted a nation to its feet in the midst of the turning point of World War II.
    Now, more than 60 years later, another six Marines stand tall in the shadow of the Marine Corps War Memorial’s valor as it depicts that iconic scene.
    They belong to the group of 13 Marines who carry the caskets of fellow Marines through the streets of Arlington National Cemetery and surrounding National Capital region cemeteries, (sometimes up to a mile,) as the last salute to the fallen members of the 234-year-old brotherhood.
    The Marine Corps’ body bearers have one of the most unique duties in the Corps.
    Exclusive to the Corps, these Marines carry caskets weighing as much as 800 pounds at shoulder and head level, only lowering at the exact moment of burial. Their pace is deliberate and slow, prolonging the honor that is due to America’s heroes.
    As unique as the job, the Marines themselves stand out. The smallest bearer, at six feet tall and 260 pounds, towers over the average Marine. His biceps closely resemble runners’ thighs, and his neck blends evenly with his jaw line. Body bearers remain among the largest Marines in the Corps.
    It’s a feat that starts early in the Marines’ training. Beyond the 13 weeks of recruit training, body bearers begin their journey at the school of infantry like any other aspiring infantryman.
    Marine Corps body bearers with Marine Barracks Washington run through a practice funeral Nov. 25 in preparation for the day’s funerals.

Potential bearers are scouted during SOI and once briefed can volunteer to join the “World Famous Body Bearers.”
    “The selection process is based largely on a strength test,” explained Cpl. John A. Smurr, a senior body bearer. “Height and weight come into play, but if [potential bearers] don’t have an overall big frame to support the strength needed, they just can’t do the job.”
    A training time table is indefinite for those selected. At the Marine Corps’ Ceremonial Drill School, a Marine can graduate in a few months or train for a year to achieve the strength and perfection required to bear a casket.
    Smurr suggested each Marine arrive at the school able to bench press a minimum of 225 pounds, military press 135, curl 115, and squat at least 315.
    Due to their frame and size, the body bearers have acquired a “meat-head” label, but Lance Cpl. Stephen Brewer, a junior bearer, discredited this idea by explaining, “We’re not meat heads in the gym.
    Even more important than your strength [or size], your endurance and stamina need to be top class to carry a casket.”
    Cpl. Campoamor Ayala lightens the mood a bit at the gym Nov. 24.

Body bearers execute hundreds of funerals each year, which requires constant muscle conditioning, and Brewer said stamina, not size, makes a good body bearer.
    Still, iron weights are not enough to maintain this critical mission.
    “The character qualities of this section are bearing, discipline and respect,” said Brewer. “That is everything the body bearers strive to emulate or to display at all times. That’s what we bring to Arlington every day, and that’s what we live in our lives.”
    These qualities don’t exist without continual training.
    “There’s a lot of mentoring that goes on between the senior and junior body bearers,” explained Cpl. Campoamor Ayala, a senior body bearer. “If there’s something the juniors don’t know, the senior will teach them as they progress to make sure they carry on the traditions and precision of drill.”
    From a statuesque salute as the funeral precession approaches to the stern faces worn at all times, bearing becomes the Corps’ final message of honor and respect to the fallen.
    Lance Cpl. Stephen Brewer, a junior body bearer, ensures a fellow Marine’s medals are aligned before a funeral Nov. 25.

Bearers said every funeral takes a toll with their emotions, though their face retains the thousand yard stare at all times.
    “Not only does this test you physically, but mentally and emotionally as well,” Smurr said. “It is pretty emotionally stressful when you’re out at Arlington every day and you see a family who just lost their loved one.”
    Smurr said the body bearers can be that connection for the families back to their fallen Marine. Though that connection wares on their minds during their time as a body bearer, it’s a job they don’t resent, but embrace.
    “You can fast forward your life in your mind and see yourself someday being in that position and having six Marines render honor to you and your family in the same way,” he said. “Every Marine we lay down is us, our brother, our sister, our mom and dad, and our friend.”
    The consensus of the body bearers is that the physical pain they feel when lifting a casket for extended periods is incomparable to what a family feels.
    Body bearers said they feel as though they represent the whole Marine Corps.
    “If it was up to me, I’d say ‘let’s have the whole Corps carry the caskets,’ because each time we lose a Marine that’s really who feels it. The whole Corps,” Brewer said.
    They agree that pain is a small price to pay to uphold the honor of being “the last to let you down.”

You either have to be under 191, or be under the max body fat percentage for your age. For example, if you weigh in and are over 191, you have to body fat tape; if you tape under the max percentage (18 or 19% bodyfat) then you're good to go and its the same as making weight. This is AFTER OCS and TBS, etc. As far as OCS goes, you need to get under 191 to even get selected. But if you wanna be brolic when you hit the fleet, just stay under that 18 or 19% body fat max.

I've seen quite a few Marines (officer and enlisted) who are definitely way over their max allowable weight, but as long as they tape out under the max, they're good to go. Taping out is the same as making weight basically.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    they only care about how fast you can run 3 miles how many crunches you can do in 2 minutes and how many pull ups can you do.
    If it were me the above is how I would perceive it.

OP....I could be wrong but 20% body fat at 5'10" at 250 does not sound realistic to me all. I'd guess more like 30%+.
    That's 58# over....about 2# weight loss a week is usually considered as a safe rate.
    That necessitates months of diligence/discpline.

Good luck meeting necessary criteria to earn the EGA.

Carry on....

Actually, you're typical fullback is between 5'9-6'3 and 220-265 lbs. Typical body-fat is anywhere from 12-17% so its highly likely. At 20% he would be over your average collegiate division 1/NFL level fullback in terms of BF percentage. But again, using retarded taping methods like the neck to waist ratio we do, or the BMI taping, he'd tape way over 20%. But legit taping methods [like the ones used with pro/high level collegiate athletes], 90% of the time, put guys who are 20% around <12%.

Credits
    Savings
    Hand Salute to the Marine body bearers. My time in the active Marine Corps ended a long time ago. I frankly did not know about this group of dedicated Marines.

I am glad to hear that the Marine Corps does not waver on body weight requirments for entering the Marine Corps. This may sound hard but waver is defined as follows; to vacillate irresolutely between choices : fluctuate in opinion, allegiance, or direction. IMHO, waver is a politically correct word for excuse. Marines don't make excuses and don't accept excuses. Period.

Credits
    Savings
    I stand corrected on the word waiver. I used the wrong spelling I used the word waver, a totally different word. However, when it comes to joining the Marine Corps I stand by what I said no waiver, waver or excuses. IMHO, you either fit the requirements or move on to another military service.

Quote Originally Posted by LCPL1341 View Post
    Actually, you're typical fullback is between 5'9-6'3 and 220-265 lbs.
    That may be true.
    But, without a pic of the OP we just to buy that he's in 'good shape' which tells little to nothing.
    I'm 5'10" @ 175 - 180 with a medium frame as one can see.
    If I were 250 with my frame I'd be far more that 20% BF.

IE: If the OP has a frame like Frank Gore at 5'9" 215 he would be built like a Sherman tank and at a believable 20% BF and I stand corrected in this specific case.
    Something just sounds inaccurate but I've been wrong in the past.

I'm with you though on the tape measure/BF index measurement shvt as there are many exceptions.

I'm not taking issue with anything here that the OP states or his efforts to be a Marine.
    So...OldDannyBoy....give it hell and good luck.

Carry on...

Dammvt....

I forgot to mention that if the OP is comfortably carrying 250# at his height and body frame and (as stated) is in good shape it would almost seem an impossible task to get that weight down to 192# and actually maintain it.

Back to it....

Thread Information