Friend
Create Post

Thread: Friend

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Friend

Hey I am planning on joining this summer and my friend talked to me the other day asking if he would be able to join too. I told him I really don't know because he was heavily into drugs for a little bit but has cleaned his life up and is getting clean. So basically since I couldn't come up with an answer I figured I would ask you guys and see what you think.

Similar Threads:

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    Have your "friend" talk with a recruiter (?) Is this for you or for your "friend"? lol.

Friend; you say your friend was heavy into drugs; but is cleaning himself up. Once again, the Marine Corps is not a sitting service or a rehab center.

My question is why should anyone waste a recruiters time? The Corps is selective, and there are plenty of potential recruits that don't have your friends problems. Next, your friend will want a waiver for his drug problem.

He cant join. No recruiter would waste his time with you.....I mean your "friend" lol. Good luck to you tho.....I mean, GOOD LUCK TO YOUR FRIEND. My, bad I keep doing that.

Credits
    Savings
    No it really is my friend he is to scared to ask for himself and wanted me to ask my recruiter but I didn't want my recruiter thinking of me the same way you guys just did thats why I came to you. He wasn't planning on joining until later int the year he has been clean for a month but won't be talking to one until after October because of his brothers wedding I am joining in July. But thank you for your help.

Inform your friend. When he does get up enough nerve to talk to a recruiter, he MUST be honest about his drug use and disclose everything. If not, and he gets in anyway, he could potentially be looking at a fraudulent enlistment charge and kicked out later down the road. The punishment is not worth the gamble.

Credits
    Savings
    I did tell him that and I am sure he understands he was just saying he wants to use me as a reference when he does join and I don't want him to if I know he is going to make me look bad because I would love to make this a career. I don't know if that has anything to do with it I just know my recruiter would rip me a new one if I said he was good and then ended up failing a drug test.

Very smart thinking! And, you are correct!! Never put your future in jeopardy for a shady character (no matter how close of a friend you may consider them to be).

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    U S Marines have enough enemies.....as the old cliché goes, "With friends like that, you don't need enemies."

I would never have or let someone with a disreputable character use me or my name for a reference.

If he wasn't a druggie or trying to hide something.....he would not need a character reference...he would be man enough to join on his own merits.....

Shiatcan this friend before he pulls you down the cesspool with him by association.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravey13 View Post
    he has been clean for a month
    that's it?....he needs to be at least a year off anything before even considering talking to a recruiter, it's too soon in his being sober process to be dealing withe the stresses of joining the Marine Corps and going to boot camp...he'd be sure to relapse

Thread Information