Joining this summer after the school year
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Joining this summer after the school year

Hi I am planning on joining the Marine Corps this summer around July and was looking at different MOS and was wondering if someone could give me some input. My dad was in the Marine Corps for 6 years and was an engineer. He said it was the best 6 years of his life and wished he could go back and stay in longer. His favorite unit was 1st LAAD and he was stationed in Okinawa and Camp Lejeune where I was born. This is what I have wanted to do my entire life but they wanted me to give college a try and I am not liking it so I talked to them and a recruiter and have been talking to the one in my hometown for a little while now and am planning on joining in July like I already said but I was looking at Security Forces and I was also looking at being a helicopter mechanic and hopefully moving up to helicopter crew chief is there anyone out there who has been in either that can give me insight and help deciding?

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Others will be along to voice their opinions, but let me ask you one thing. Is the reason you're not liking college simply because you want to join the Corps and are getting restless? College isn't for everyone, but you should give leaving college some serious thought, then do whatever is best for you, not your parents. You can always return to college later when (and if) it means something more to you than it does now. Or perhaps never return to it---that's all up to you. I wanted to explore that aspect of your post, though.

As far as specific MOSs go, others may be able to assist you. Good luck with whatever you decide.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    The reason I said what I said above is simple----I'm advising you to think long and hard about big decisions like this one, not only now but throughout your life. A lot of folks say they have delved into the reasons they do things, but a lot of others just end up doing what they feel like doing at any given moment, without thinking things through. College or Corps or both? Think things through, completely-----again, good luck to you, and there will be more responses here for you, probably very soon. Some great advice on this forum, look for josephd and munkyvsrobot especially, among others.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yes I have given it a lot of thought thank you very much it just isn't for me all of my friends love it but I don't feel right here it doesn't feel like what I am supposed to do and that's why I want to join the Corps because all my life it's felt like what I was born to do.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Sounds good to me. You've thought it all out carefully. Now wait for some input re those MOSs. Again, good luck. You'll do well.

have you taken the AFQT test yet? if not that will go along ways as to what you qualify for and also it will depend what slots are open, the Corps will put you where they need you, most of the time regardless of what you score..

hey you do you boo boo. It is your life and your decision to make and yours alone you will either regret not going to college and maybe going full Sir or you will regret not enlisting sooner. The grass is always greener.

I felt the same way when I was in college (I joined after completing my degree though) and came close to dropping out a few times; but I stuck it out, and am glad I finished before going to boot camp. I made great friends in college, had an awesome time, the work and long hours typing papers/studying sucked, but it was a great experience altogether. Believe it or not, you may look back some day, and miss being in college. I know I do.

Thread Information