Odds of getting into the military now..........
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Odds of getting into the military now..........

So It's been a long while since I've been on here, substantially long while. and so I two weeks before going to MEPS to Enlist into the USMC Reserve I was injured at work. Coworker lowered a Dodge 3500 sitting on top of a wheel alignment lift onto my foot.

I didn't have any rods or screws put into my foot, but I did have to have surgery to bleed it out because of the swelling, hospitalized for three days, bed bound for two months, two months on a granny walker, one month on crutches/cane and now working regularly again, can't run much currently, still getting used to walking distances again. Gained pretty much almost all my weight back I had lost, so went from a xl shirt back up to a 3xl. And from 17% back up to God knows where right now.

On top of what would have been a MEPS refresh from 000000 across the board for my PULHES back in October (MEPS expired/restarted since I was a minor when I first went in 2008) what would chances be of getting in now? Would I need a waiver of somekind?

I go in for a physical impairment evaluation on the 3rd of April. And I am also attending community college now. So would chances be gone now for good? Or do I have a shot provided I get my weight back down?

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    P Btry 5th Bn, 14th Marine Regiment out of Spokane was going to be my unit as an 0811. My recruiter left recruiting duty back in Dec a couple months after I was injured so he's no longer a POC for me.

I have made a double post because it says I don't have permission to edit my existing post. I don't know if MOS will make a difference, but I do know at least back in Oct. 0811 for Papa Battery was critical need, unaware if that's changed, or if that changes anything.

Credits
    Savings
    Initial shipdate after MEPS October 24th was supposed to ship for MCRD San Diego April 27th, followed by MCT then Ft. Sill had dumbass not crushed my foot. I wanted to join P Battery 5th Bn because it's the same unit a couple friends of mine have Enlisted into. I don't know if I'm psyching myself out right now, but I took off 140lbs for it. I didn't intend on coming onto here, or any military forum until after I had finished MCT.

I'm just not sure what to do right now, or if I'm even eligible anymore after taking the injury I took. I have god knows how many pounds to lose again now from lack of activity. If the impairment exam throws anything at me regarding % of disability or anything would that DQ me for good? I can flex my foot, move it, it's fine now outside of numbness on an area of skin where the lift came down on that only shows discolored skin that has no feeling to touch. That's all there is, would that be a DQ?

Is it worth taking it to a recruiter, or would you guys already have the answer?

you still may have a shot but if you cant even walk properly at the moment youd just be wasting your time as well as the recruiters time. he could speak to you and tell you as long as your foot heals properly youd be good to go but if you cant run let alone barely walk at the moment thats an uphill battle that with the way it sounds its a losing battle.

My suggestion is to let it heal more or find out if this is as good as it is going to get and go from there because your recruiter is going to want to see all the paperwork in regards to your injury.

To be a Marine, one must be able to pass the MEPS physical and be within height/weight standards as you already know. Work on meeting those standards first then talk to a recruiter about your chances of trying again. Good luck.

Thread Information