Join Marine Reserves at 28
Create Post

Join Marine Reserves at 28

This year in particular I have had a real strong urge to want to join the Marine Corps. It would have to be reserves as I already have my career job. Honestly going in for me will be a huge paycut during my bootcamp and MOS training, im looking at serving for 4+4 years to due my part for the country and be done. Am I crazy for wanting to go just to be a Marine? I looked into other branches and they do not even the slightest interest me. Would joining to be a Marine and then joining Reserves be contradicting?

Just trying to get an opinion.

Thank You

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Don't do it...I understand your urge to serve your country but what will you accomplish by showing up 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks each summer for 4+ years??.....especiallly if you're taking a pay cut during the time you will be gone

Reservists accomplished quite a lot in Iraq. Like any other units in the Corps, there's good ones and bad ones. I was with a good one, fortunately.

Be prepared to work more than one weekend a month and two weeks a year and not get paid for it. Be prepared to pack a years worth of training into 12 "weekends" (usually Thursday night to Sunday night). A lot of guys in the reserves are prior AD, and a lot of them hold down important, professional jobs in the civilian world. Being able to juggle both the needs of the Corps and a real world career is no easy task.

Its way way different than active duty, and you've gotta be a self motivator to get ahead, because no one is standing over you 24/7 telling you what you should be doing. It can be a pretty rewarding experience, but like most things in life, you get out of it what you are willing to put into it.

I appreciate the feedback so far, hoping I get a few more to chime in. Thank you!

Thread Information