confused about recruiters
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

confused about recruiters

I'm very confused right now, I called my recruiter in January to enlist in the Marines, asked questions about why Marines are called Jarhead, Leatherneck and Devil Dogs? asked about how long a deployment will last, but when I asked about what to expect at Parris Island I got I don't think you can make it! then I went in the recruiter's office and got we choose people who can succeed at boot camp and don't want you to fail. Is this normal? I was ready to enlist in the Marines! and also get I don't think the Army is right for you either. Try the Air Force or Navy out, Marines what should I do? go to a different recruiter or try the Navy out. I really wanted to be a Marine! and also had to go thru very anti war people who said I would kill people, be killed, that Marines are dishonest and I was a terrorist! I'm worn out. Semper Fi!

Similar Threads:

We have a recruiter on Leatherneck. I'm positive that he will see your post and reply. However, based on your post, you seem confused. One of my questions to you would be; "Why would you come to a Marine forum and have a user name of NavySeals22?"

Secondly, if you want to be a Marine, go for it! You've got to want it! We are not like the other military services. We are professionals at what we do. It's hard to become a Marine; you've got to earn the title; the Marines won't give it to you just because you went to boot camp.

Hopefully Riveria will see this post and respond quickly!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Is what normal?.....I don't understand what you're confused about. He is a Marine, you're not...he can say whatever he feels like. Granted he is a recruiter and it's his job to sell you on joining

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Kind of strange, what the recruiter said, usually they try to get people in, not out, just go back and tell him you are ONLY interested in the Corps, period, and want to join, and know you can make the grade. See what he says. You MAY have caught him on a bad day or busy day with all those questions. Skip the questions and let him know that you feel you have what it takes and you'll prove it if given the opportunity. And keep us posted. And I don't know about the other guys here, but if it were me, I would go to another recruiter, sounds like some bad blood situation going on with this one. Just my opinion, one of many. Keep us up to date please. Good luck.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    And (blank) the anti war people. If they had had their way years ago you would be speaking German or Japanese right now, or both. So let history be your guide, when it comes to what the military has done for this country, not your friends or acquaintances.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    On the other hand maybe the recruiter DOES in fact feel that you don't have what it takes. If he feels that way, be persistent or go to another recruiter or perhaps ask for an explanation.

My initial inclination is that he's testing your tenacity.

Go back to him and *respectfully* tell him you're not interested in the Air Force or Navy, and that you want the chance to earn your place. If he still says no, find another RSS. It's his prerogative to not send you off to MCRD. If you want it, TRULY want it, and are basically qualified, you'll get it.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Excellent post.

Thanks, sir, I try!

Personal disclaimer: the extent of my experience with a recruiter is sitting in an office 9 years ago as a high school junior. Spent 4 hours learning about the Marines and choosing my 3 benefit tags (sense of belonging, challenge, travel and adventure) and subsequently getting chewed out by my stepmom - and Sgt Aranda getting chewed out by her when he called my house... whoops!

Sense of belonging: Check. I feel like I belong.

Challenge: Check. I've been immensely challenged in the last 3 straight years of training - still a boot, but a boot that is trusted not to turn into a multimillion dollar flaming scrap heap in a hole in the ground. I'm learning my 4th aircraft in 2 years, and still have one more to go.

Travel and adventure: Check. Still CONUS, but I've lived in 4 states in 3 years and have had a few adventures while making some of the best friends I'll ever know. Grew up in CA, but have visited DC, NC, SC, GA, TN, AL, LA, MS, TX in addition to living in VA, FL and currently in TX.

OP: It sounds like if you want it as much as you say you do, you'll regret not going back to him.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Another excellent post as always. My recruiter saw me for less than an hour when I had dropped out of high school at age 16. No delayed enlistment, no poolees, when I turned 17 I was at Parris Island 2 weeks later, no delays in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by navyseals22 View Post
    I'm very confused right now, I called my recruiter in January to enlist in the Marines, asked questions about why Marines are called Jarhead, Leatherneck and Devil Dogs? asked about how long a deployment will last, but when I asked about what to expect at Parris Island I got I don't think you can make it! then I went in the recruiter's office and got we choose people who can succeed at boot camp and don't want you to fail. Is this normal? I was ready to enlist in the Marines! and also get I don't think the Army is right for you either. Try the Air Force or Navy out, Marines what should I do? go to a different recruiter or try the Navy out. I really wanted to be a Marine! and also had to go thru very anti war people who said I would kill people, be killed, that Marines are dishonest and I was a terrorist! I'm worn out. Semper Fi!

Cant see the forest for the trees, does it really matter where the Marine nicknames came from at this stage of the game? No they really dont. A deployment will last as long as it has to you are asking all sorts of questions that have no bearing on anything right now, maybe hes telling you he doesnt think you can make it cause you arent even focusing on the present, just like the other applicants who come in here and ask what they will be doing 20 years from now in their mos or as a sgt major you arent even a sergeant hell you arent even a recruit yet and you already want to know who will be attending your retirement ceremony?

Sure you didnt use those words exactly but the underlying tones of your questions hints at it.

either join or dont hell your nickname on a Marine Corps forum is Navy Seals you should probably just not join, go join the navy instead and bust rust off a ship we dont need you in all reality.

You say you are worn out? From what? You have to defend nothing you arent even in the military how in the heck are you so worn out? If you are already feeling the heat and you havent even enlisted maybe you shouldnt even join the military at all.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    go join the navy instead and bust rust off a ship
    bwahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahha!!

Recruiters know what they're talking about (they all graduated from recruiters school afterall). If they tell you to go try the Air Force or Navy out you should heed their advice (they have their reasons).

Wow, a navyseals22 in the Marine Corps site. what next ?

I'm waiting for a transgender22 to show up. They'll want to know if they can get their own head in bootcamp!

It will happen at some point. The new SecDef has said they deserve the opportunity to serve their country just like anyone else. He has also said the military needs to change its 200+ year-old promotion, acquisition, and retention systems. No more good ole boys network as we know it. For instance, instead of coming in as an E1 and having to take years to move up in rank, a cyberspace geek may come in as an E6 and move straight into a managerial position. His claim is we need to do whatever it takes to get these types of talents into the military and keep them there (think outside the box).

Thread Information