0211 Reserve Opportunities
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 0211 Reserve Opportunities

Good evening,

I am set on making the move to the 0211 field and have done my share of research and reaching out to those I can. One of my only considerations left at this point is to decide whether I want to do the move as a Reservist or transition to Active Duty.

I am currently a Reservist and deployed during 2013-2014 in support of OEF. Since my return, I have had an "itch" that I just can't satisfy. Aside from Counterintelligence having always intrigued me, part of my decision towards the MOS is due to their high deployment rate -- at least for Active Duty.

My questions:

1. Is the frequency of 0211 Reservist deployments comparable to that of the Active Duty side?

To my understanding, Reservists have the opportunity to potentially deploy more often than Active Duty, however, usually Reservists are filling slots when there is a lack of Active Duty personnel for the given mission.

2. Would this be the same case for a Reserve 0211; the deployment opportunities are only available when there is a lack of available 0211 Active Duty personnel?

Respectfully,
    Sgt Bell

Similar Threads:

Adding an additional question:
    3. For any Active Duty 0211: do you feel that any on-the-job training (OJT) you received prior to deploying was critical for your effectiveness during deployment(s)? My question is mainly concerning the lack of OJT on the Reserve side.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    1. During the OIF/OEF days, yes, this was true. Deploying as a reservist was very common as reservist were always ready to do hot fills with units that needed more bodies. You should understand as a Sgt now though that there is not deployments going anywhere except for MEUs which while not impossible to get on is always for specific AD units that are trained for MEU operations.

2. Yes, essentially

3. I am not an 0211 but I can almost be certain when I say that OJT on AD while essential to operations goes completely out the window while on deployment. And this goes with any MOS...situation, mission, AO, SOPs, etc. completely change what you really do within your MOS/job. Again as a Sgt that has deployed it blows my mind that you aren't aware of this already.

Is there an 0211 billet open at a reserve unit local to you?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Took a look at your profile....you operated out of PB Eredvi?....how was it when you were there?

I was out in Helmand in 2011/2012...we built PB Eredvi and Quarta(sp?) there in the Western Cluster. Also built PB Pennsylvania, White House, New Jersey, New York, etc. in the Kajaki district

We got pretty tore up going through both areas

Thank you for the feedback. It is appreciated.

My questions, though they may seem general, are specifically toward the 0211 field as it conducts its operations very differently from just about any other MOS (specifically being as a solo member) and thus their opportunities I would presume differ greatly from the norm.

(Since the majority of 0211 daily operations fall under OPSEC, my third question is worded towards a more generic response.)

As of right now, the closest Reserve unit with open 0211 BICs is over 500 miles away from my residence.

I am leaning more towards the Active Duty component for 0211 and am just trying to assess all my options before making anything official.

Being that you helped construct PB Eredvi, you may be disheartened to learn that I was part of the retrograde process and remained until its closing. What you gents provided was a great founding that we were able to further build upon and develop into a fluid functioning Combat Outpost.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    1 and 2 answers are the same no matter what the MOS, I understand that my responses are not 0211 specific but how much of a demand do you think there is for counter-intel/human intel Marines right now with no deployments going anywhere?....even from the AD side?.....whatever is needed I am quite sure is already filled.

I don't blame you for wanting to do this and asking questions but I am trying to get you to think critically about the possibilities and needs of the Corps.

Have you spoken with a recruiter, a monitor, or even a PSR about this?.....any of them if you can get a hold of one and willing to talk with you should be able to tell you what if any counter-intel seats are open in the fleet and how you can go about getting into one.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Something else to think about......

If you're anything like me and most other Marines you probably don't want to wear any other uniform but....have you thought about joining the Army for the same thing??

I'm not so sure I would agree with that as 0211's are one of the few MOS's to get attached to non-Marine Corps units as solo members. Now that OIF and OEF have calmed down, there surely is less deployments happening, however, those two areas are not the only ones available; they were just the most prominent in recent years.

Yes, I have spoken with several and when it comes to information on the Reserve spectrum for the 0211 field, I haven't received much. I'm still pursuing other contacts; just figured I would post here as well while I await their responses.

Unless it was for a temporary mission, I could never wear any other uniform.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared1027 View Post
    I'm not so sure I would agree with that as 0211's are one of the few MOS's to get attached to non-Marine Corps units as solo members.
    I didn't say that....I am just pointing out that I am sure a majority of boat seats are full for that MOS right now with numbers being drawn down and actual AD Marines looking to stay in and getting priority.

For simplicity purposes...How many Counter-Intel Marines are there within a Intel Bn?.... now, when a MEU or MEB go out on deployment how many counter-intel guys you think they need?....aside from that where else do you think counter-intel guys are needed?

These aren't rhetorical questions and I am not trying to be an a$$...it seems as a Sgt you know where to search and how to go about getting the real info you need. Just some things to think about.

This forum isn't the best for asking legitimate questions like this and getting solid info. There isn't enough of us on here that are currently active and have solid knowledge of manpower numbers, needs, deployments, etc....even if anyone did have that I highly doubt, as you know(OPSEC), they would post it here on a public forum

Right; the draw down is part of my consideration of going 0211 on the Reserve side. Since it is mainly Active Duty that is condensing, one would think that there would then be more situations where Reservists are filling spots. It's hard to say for sure without seeing actual numbers. Either way, with all that is currently going on world-wide, it won't be very long until deployment rotations are flowing just as steadily as they did during OIF/OEF.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Right; the draw down is part of my consideration of going 0211 on the Reserve side. Since it is mainly Active Duty that is condensing, one would think that there would then be more situations where Reservists are filling spots. It's hard to say for sure without seeing actual numbers. Either way, with all that is currently going on world-wide, it won't be very long until deployment rotations are flowing just as steadily as they did during OIF/OEF.
    hahaha for sure, no argument here...that was my reason for re-enlist last year and continuing to stay in the Corps

If you can find a cool recruiter, he should be able to put you in touch with a monitor(typically a Gunny or MSgt)at the RS/MEPS who can let you know what is available out there and what is coming up. As a Sgt, they are usually pretty cool with you contacting them directly to ask this kind of stuff. I have done it a few times

That's what I've been scouting for. Anyway, thanks for the input/feedback. I really do appreciate it.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    That's what I've been scouting for. Anyway, thanks for the input/feedback. I really do appreciate it.
    no worries

There is a whole new world that would be open to you that has nothing to do with the green side. Have you started the A&S process? Are you looking to just deploy? I think that both the Active and Reserve side are hurting for Sergeants. Good luck.

I am not an 11 but i do have some experience with them.

they dont deploy as often now that OEF is winding down a lot of them were coming out of the school house with deployment dates but not so much any more, not saying they are not there but they are fewer and further between.

as it pertains to OJT i wouldnt be surprised if you went AD for a little bit while you did OJT ive seen it happen for other MOS' that were doing OJT

Thread Information