17 year old marine ?
Create Post

17 year old marine ?

Im 16 years old freshly turned 16. And wanted to get a GED so I could enlist into the marine at 17 and be able to leave to basic already at 17. Will they let me in to the marines with a GED for an infantry job? My brother is an army ranger and his best friend is a navy seal and my cousins are marine recons. But for a convtional infantry marine can you join with just a GED

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    No, you'd have to be 17 and a HS graduate in order to ship to boot camp. Also, in order to join the Corps with a GED you would need to have 15 college credits.

And why would "conventianal infantry" allow a GED vs. any other MOS?....the thinking behind that is extremely ignorant

josephd is spot on,, GED with 15 college credits,, or high school diploma that is it..

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Right----and the old days are gone, like when I enlisted after dropping out of high school. No one cared. I got a GED while in the Corps. No big deal. Things have changed. AND< as Joe intimated, standards for infantry are by no means less than those for the rest of the Corps. There might be a perception that they ought to be less stringent, but that is in error. Marines are Marines, and the same enlistment standards apply to all.

How tight are the entrance requirements right now? I overheard National Guard is looking for some college for enlisted side now too. Now while I do admire your ambition, SLOW DOWN! The Corps isn't going anywhere. Man, I wish someone was there to tell me to slow down when I was 16/17 yo. Within a span of 9 months I graduated high school, joined the Corps, got married and had a kid. Now while you might not make those same mistakes. At your age you want it now! And I completely understand so you need to tell yourself slow down, set goals, and pace yourself. Why not, get your diploma, enlist, and go to college. A lot of advancement within the Corps has to do without outside education. Can you run a 300 PFT? If not, set the goal of running one by time you graduate and ship to boot camp. Take these next few years to prep for boot camp and go in their with intention to be Honor Grad. You'll come out as a Lance Corporal. You could be a Corporal and leading Marines within a year and a half if you apply yourself correctly. Or you could rush it and find youself with an angry DI in your face while you think to yourself "I've made a horrible mistake". LOL

You need to talk to a recruiter. Problem is, recruiters don't talk to 16 year-olds kids.

You know you'll need a GED at least to enlist so get started on that now. After that, you can worry about the 15 college credits. After you turn 17, go talk to a recruiter.

This needs to be moved to the "ask a Marine" section.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Moved to Ask a Marine

If your plan is to drop out and join the military you should probably just stop and or rethink your lifes plan. IF you cant hack it in high school what makes you think you can hack it in the military?

Just because some of the other individuals on this site dropped out and were able to enlist (no offence gents) doesnt mean that you are going to be able to make it. This isnt the same military as it was back then we are smarter better equipped and better trained.

Also dropping out shows you have 0 dedication to anything, your sole job right now is to be a dumb@$$ kid do dumb@$$ things and go to school it really is a pretty skate life.

finish school the Marine corps has been around for almost 240 years and something tells me it will be around for at least a few more years.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    Excellent post. Gone are the days when Marines could enlist without a high school diploma. That exception has not been in effect for decades.

Thread Information