Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member KevinTRyan's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    A lot to think about. Thank you sir.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Joe always has good advice---keep going, be persistent without being obnoxious, keep trying until you get the final word either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    It's obvious to me you are on the back burner (not a priority). They will work applicants without all the baggage before spending their time on your case (IF they ever get around to it at all). You should not hold your breath.
    Well....I'll try to be politely candid.

Although I hesitated to respond in this thread/subject the above is how I perceive it too....to much 'baggage'.

IMO a 'moral waiver' request....in the USMC sense....sounds like an oxymoron.
    We are measured in life by our conduct and the ability to know right from wrong and behave accordingly.
    I don't how old the OP was at the time of the felony but willful criminal behavior is not what I would refer to as a 'mistake'.
    A 'mistake' is spilling one's drink or forgetting to put air in one's space tire.
    Far too often the word 'mistake' is misused in this context.

OP...
    Seriously, I've got nothing against your efforts to convince some recruiter you are a possible candidate to earn the EGA.
    I will not judge/jury you....but, I believe you knew what you did was obviously wrong, unacceptable behavior and did it anyway.
    A reflection of one's sense of character which can follow one all their life in one way or another....that's life.

I do think you should keep this thread updated for how things turn out for you which would educate others in similar ****uations.

Carry on....

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    " Willful " sums it up for me.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I don't know, Wayne and Jimmy, he seems contrite here, respectful, knows he did wrong. But you have a point too, mistakes are mistakes and choices are not mistakes, they are conscious choices to do something bad or good. Let's see how this story turns out. I know that it seems to me the Corps can be too selective these days, turning away some people who would make good Marines, just because others do not have any blemishes on their life's history-----but is this pushed to extremes sometimes? E.g. no tattoos of certain sizes, yet, the moment you're at your duty station, tattoo to your heart's content....as the world goes (zanier by the hour), so goes the Corps, it just takes us a little while longer to reflect the world's values, as things change---end of sermon, putting away my podium now. LOL

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    We'll never know how many good applicants the military services turn away just because they don't measure up.....on the other hand, 200 job applicants, 100 have criminal records. Why should an employer hire one who has a record, when half do NOT have a record? Just human nature, I guess......I'm a big fan of the old days where you could enlist if you wanted to and were qualified. No one cared if you had a high school diploma or not. I got one (GED) while I was IN the Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    I don't know, Wayne and Jimmy, (1) he seems contrite here, respectful, knows he did wrong. But you have a point too, mistakes are mistakes and (2) choices are not mistakes, they are conscious choices to do something bad or good. (3) Let's see how this story turns out. I know that it seems to me the Corps can be too selective these days, (4) turning away some people who would make good Marines, just because others do not have any blemishes on their life's history-----but is this pushed to extremes sometimes? E.g. no tattoos of certain sizes, yet, the moment you're at your duty station, tattoo to your heart's content....as the world goes (zanier by the hour), so goes the Corps, it just takes us a little while longer to reflect the world's values, as things change---end of sermon, putting away my podium now. LOL
    1) Yes...he does seem 'contrite' but...
    2) Correct
    3) Yes...time will tell
    4) Of course, that will happen...but the USMC should always maintain the highest standards within the Military branches for recruits/recruitment. The USMC should not be expected to play some guessing game of character assessment or be in the rehabilitation business.
    I'll reiterate that willful criminal behavior (blemishes as you refer to them ) are reflections of who we are as a credible, respectable entity...that's how we're measured. (judged, if you prefer, by our peers in the outside world)

In your subsequent response....I agree.
    I wouldn't give much of a shvt if one had a HS diploma or not as long as they could read, write, take orders and understand the English language accurately.

Ha...either one of us on a podium?....I don't think so!
    I'd hate getting a bunch bad vegetables getting thrown at us any way.

NOTE:
    Not trying to be contentious or argumentative. These are just my opinions based on not being in a total WW III world yet where everyone must pitch in regardless of one's decision making character.

Carry on Green Mo'fers...

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good post as always, Wayne......

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    Good post as always, Wayne......
    Thanks for the kind word Dave.

Sometimes it truly sucks to be perpetually accountable for our willful actions in life.

Es Viernes Marines....belly up....I'm buyin'.
    I might just have a couple of fingers of Crown Royal...thank you very much.

Back to it....

The new CMC has said we should look at psychiatric evaluations for all applicants (result of the Eddie Ray Routh trial maybe?). That would open up a whole new can of worms.

Credits
    Savings
    Update: I recently returned from a meeting with the Gunnery Sergeant from the RSS and he informed me that we have to redo all of my DD-370's (Character References) because they are out of date and he wants me to go back to MEPS asap for a medical inspection because its been 6 months. He blatantly blamed my "recruiter" in front of him for lack of care. He said from this point forward I will be working directly with him and to get back to the city as fast as possible to start the process again.

I suppose I slipped through the cracks temporarily? Maybe he wanted to wait until I get my Associates Degree May 23rd?

On a side note I went to the Navy Recruiter as well (to create a back up plan if/when I am denied a moral waiver) and they immediately turned me away because they aren't working any waivers at all. So I suppose it's a good sign that the Gunnery Sergeant is willing to personally take care of my business even though he has a huge work load, and for that I am extremely grateful.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Yes, the Gunny must see some potential there or he would not be bothered with any of this. Sounds good, keep us updated on this same thread. Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    So I went back to MEPS to inspect and nothing changed. For the IST in the office I got 14 pull ups and 83 crunches which I wasn't too pumped on. When I went back to the office I gave the Gunny my 4 new character references since the last ones were expired, which included my current employer, my past employer (who is also a Sheriff in my country), my high school guidance counselor and a Detective from my hometown who has known me for 8+ years. He took photos of me in PT gear for my knee tattoos (which I can cover with my hand) and then he got a phone call which appeared to be a family emergency so he told me to change over and come back next week, don't call, just come in. Mind you it's an hour and a half trip for me and it's finals week plus I'm juggling 40 hrs at my job so I have to wait until the 19th to go back.

Another recruiter in the office told me that my name came up numerous times because I'm one of the few that was able to score over a 76 and they want to try and push me through.

Credits
    Savings
    So I finally found a recruiter that worked my stuff and I was able to receive the district level moral waiver I needed to enlist. I ship off to PI on November 16th.

Congrats. Now keep up with your PT and stay out of trouble.

Thread Information