MOS questions you've probably all heard
Create Post

Exclamation MOS questions you've probably all heard

Hey everyone! So im shipping out june 8th, and basically i just have some questions about MOS selection. I've researched these all already, but the answers are either unclear, or non-existent. Anyway, i was hoping i could get some input on a few questions that have been bugging me.
    1). What is it like being an MP? i've heard a lot about people hating the MPs, and it basically being a ****ty MOS, but from the sound of it, field MP work sounds like my wet dream. Any thoughts?
    2). Say i get MP, and it turns out to be completely different than how it's been described. How possible/practical is it to switch MOS? Say to go from 5811 to 0311, or something similar?
    3). can MPs be selected for Scout Sniper school(training? certification?), or is that strictly for infantry/ground intel.
    4). I read (a few minutes ago actually) about a guy who wanted 0311 but GT scored too high (?) and was placed as a mortarman instead. which kinda leads into..
    5). I understand that the needs of the corps obviously come first, but how much influence do you have on your MOS/field selection? Do you have a little bit of sway if you feel really strongly about how you would best serve, or is it pretty much just tough titties, and you get what you get?

Thanks everyone! I understand you probably get these questions a lot, so i apologize. Just after hours of military.com and wikipedia with no luck, i figured maybe this was the better option. Thank you again!

Similar Threads:

First off, congratulations on taking the steps to becoming a United States Marine. I'll answer your questions in numerical form as you presented then. 1. This is more a matter of opinion. Some people like MP's some don't. Just like how some civilians like police and some don't. If it's something you're interested in, go for it. 2. Don't hold your breath on a lateral movement they're a gamble. 3. No, you must be an infantry Marine for that. 4. Not sure how this is a question. 5. You pick your job field and the Marine Corps picks the MOS assigned to you, sort of. In some cases like infantry you get to pick which MOS you have at SOI but if the Corps decides they want you to be a Mortar Men but you wanted to be a rifleman your choice no longer matters.

Nobody should ever enlist with the hopes of making a lateral move out of a MOS they don't like into one they do. Like USMCARivera said, it's too much of a gamble (and all the stars have to align just right for it to happen). Generally, lateral moves are a tool the USMC uses to fix imbalances within MOS fields. As an example, you would not be allowed to leave an undermanned MOS to go into a MOS that is already overpopulated (that would just further imbalance things). Additionally, lateral moves are often used as reenlistment incentives to get someone to stay in instead of getting out. So, if you really wanted out of your current MOS, you probably wouldn't be looking at even being eligible to ask until your current contract expires and you were willing to reenlist to make a lateral move.

When choosing your MOS, you should look at it as the MOS you're going to stay in.

The only influence you have on what MOS you end up with is the line scores on your ASVAB test (some MOS's require certain line scores like a certain GT score for instance). And, certain MOS's require security clearances as well. Basically, you'll be plugged into where the USMC needs you most depending on your ASVAB test and background investigation.

USMCARivera - Thank you sir! Im excited and honored to try out to be a part of the Corps. That helped a lot, feeling more confident on what i need to do already. Thank you!

Tennessee Top - That makes a lot of sense, didnt think about it like that. Thank you sir!

My main concern field work. Obviously there are INFINITELY more ways to serve in the corps than infantry/field work, but since i started thinking about it, field work has been what i've imagined (probably a common story). But beyond that, the more i look into MOS's, the more i feel that im far better suited in every way to serve in the field, and an assignment to something else would leave me underutilized, and dissatisfied with my own performance. My end goal is Scout Sniper, but the RSS im enlisted at filled ALL of their infantry spots by the end of november. Currently, my main options seem to be MP or intel. Both of which are obviously incredible jobs, but i feel like i would poorly suited to either, despite what my test scores may have claimed. I read on another site that basically, (idk, "gently demanding"?) your MOS's is the best way to go (http://www.futurejarheads.org/gettingthejobyouwant.htm), is there any truth to that? I totally understand the Corps needs come first, I just simply worry that i may be placed into a job that i would perform FAR less proficiently at than i would in field work (be it 03xx or otherwise). Is this a valid concern, or one of those "just suck it up" moments? In case its worth mentioning; my ASVAB was a 99, with line scores; MM 125, GT 139, EL 136, CL 138.
    Thank you both again!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Go intel!!!

It may seem like more of a "desk job" compared to what you want..."field work" but the clearance you get(if you qualify) and the other people you work around can open up ALOT of doors for you in the future.

GT scored too high? What the hell kinda statement is that? Sounds like a fabrication of someone in that chain maybe if you scored a perfect score on the ASVAB you would have scored too high a GT score but even then if you contract as an 03 and they feel as if you would be better suited else where they will send you there.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Couldn't be too bright too want to hump a mortar tube or plate along with all the other shiat a grunt carries.....just sayin'!

Thread Information